PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Dad (Senior)

Lelandmm
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I know my dad would hate to be refered to as "Special Needs" but he is.
Dad is actually the one who suggested the trip, believe it or not.

Dad is 64, has a pacemaker, had a knee replaced, he is also an insulin dependent diabetic.

My fiance' and I are huge theme park fans. We are at BGW or KD many times during the summer. Our main focus is what you call "thrill rides".

I need some tips on what would be great for my dad, and what we need to avoid like the plague.

Dad has been to BGW twice this year, He does ride roller coasters. He just doesn't like having his daughter tell him certain rides are just too much.

I hate telling my dad NO, but I dont want him having a heart attack on an intense ride.

Dad rode Space Mountain when we were there in 84. He has already said he can't wait to ride it again!

I need some advice on how to keep my Dad from doing too much!

peemagg
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I think that you may have to let him decide for himself what he can or can't do. There are signs at the beginning of each ride with warnings on it.

A ride that I find for myself to be intense is Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror (this might be my fear of heights and falling). I have rode EE once and have yet to ride the other because they scare the begibees out of me.

All you are going to be able to do in the end is let him make his own decision. He doesn't appear to me to be incompetent to make his own decisions.

Disney4us2
11-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I would just move at his pace. Does he need an ECV with his knee problem? It sounds like your father is a real go getter.

I took my dad to Disneyland (California Adventure) when he was 83 years young. This was a week after he had a mini stroke (blocked carotid artery). He is also status post 5 way CABG (coronary artery bypass graft). He rode Soarin over California with ease. He didn't do any other attractions though. I just let him do the attractions that he wanted to do. I got him an ECV for this, he would have never been able to walk it.

Have a great trip:mickey:

Pirate Granny
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
We took my Dad more than a few times...although he walked with no problems at home, we got him (and he agreed) a wheelchair for our trips...I believe he wasn't coordinated enough to do an EVC as we were afraid his reaction to people walking in front of him wouldn't be fast enough. That said...he did not go on any rides that he couldn't keep his head still...I didn't want him flopping around...so, no coasters...but I would check with his doctor to make sure that coasters are OK for him...You will have a great time no matter what rides you all can do...it's the great memories that you will all have after the trip...I can see my dad smiling right now, and he's been gone 3 years now...but those trips with him warm my heart. Ride the pirates for both of us.
:pirate:

Mickey'sGirl
11-19-2009, 08:32 AM
We took my dad with us last summer. We found that he moves at a slower pace than us, and he hasn't been as often as we have, so he spent a lot of time puttering around in stores and stalls and looking at things.

The only scare we had with him was on Rock'n'Rollercoaster. It was too much for him (my dad is healthy and active)and I honestly thought he was having an episode of some kind after we were done. My advice is to avoid Rock'n'Rollercoaster based on our experience.

Other than that, I hope you have a fabulous time!

Lelandmm
11-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all of the really good advice.
I talked with dad last night. He seems really excited.
I think with the combination of all of the shows, and lower impact rides, Dad will be good.
He doesn't want to do a wheelchair or ECV. He goes to the gym several times a week and walks several miles, so he says he can do OK, as long as we don't run a marathon.
(which I am slow too)

I am interested in transportation once we are in the parks.
Are there trains or something to take us around the park??
We visit BGW several times a year, and there are trains and sky lifts to take us from one part of the park to another. BGW is VERY hill-y. With some serious slopes and steps.
I'm just afraid that Dad will want to ride something he really shouldn't. He wanted to ride Alpengeist and Griffon at BGW this summer and I said NO!

Strmchsr
11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I am interested in transportation once we are in the parks.
Are there trains or something to take us around the park??

First off, :welcome: to Intercot!

At MK there is a train that circles around the park with stations at Toontown, Frontierland, and Main St. There's also a horse drawn trolly on Main St, but the skylift is gone.

Nothing at DAK or DHS to transport you around. Those are all walking (and DAK is a LOT of walking). The only thing at Epcot is the boat that will take you across World Showcase.

Between parks, the monorail will carry you between Epcot and MK, there's a boat between Epcot and DHS, and buses take you between the other parks.

Lelandmm
11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
The transportation around the parks is what kind of worries me as far as Dad is concerned.

I am hoping that taking in the shows will be a nice break for him so that he can sort of rest enough to keep going.

I know I am going to get tired too! I am just hoping that I dont get shown up by my dad.