PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Monkeys are finally an O'hana in the trees - Day 2 evening

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-17-2009, 09:57 PM
We get into the Carriage House. I am running with my dad so we can pay for our dining reservations. At this point, I’ve got severe tunnel vision and I leave my monkeys without a glance back. There is just about no one in the lobby checking in. I get right up to the Online Check-in counter. Our package was ready and we got our 2nd room request room 7028 – water view!!!! YES!!! I WILL USE ONLINE CHECK-IN AGAIN! The cast member that helped us was from Waterford, MI which is only aboutg 20-30 minutes from where we live in MI. So, we exchange Michigander pleasantries (Go MSU!). She give out the buttons for my birthday, my 2 aunts birthdays and 1st visits for those that are Disney virgins.

I turn around and just now realize that Chris brought the girls in and they are watching cartoons in the child waiting area. I stop to take pictures of the kids in their mini-grownup chairs. I remind myself that we can’t stop now to tour the place, we’ve got ADR’s people! Have to get to the Treehouse and unpack as much as we can in 15 minutes and get to the Poly.

We find our treehouse. Of course, we are stuck behind a Disney bus that I’m sure took 45 minutes to get out of our way (it was more like 2 minutes). It is perfect. Back off the street, not too far though, our own walkway to it and the views were great! But, we can’t dwell on that right now. We all file into our rooms, the kids are running and jumping on all the beds. They are just in awe of their bunk bed.

By this time, I’m sweating profusely. I call my aunt to tell her that we are here and we are on our way. It is 6:34pm. She has already checked in the front desk at Ohana and are having a nice drink. We finally leave the Treehouse at 6:50.

When we finally get to the Poly, we are running out of breath,kids are sleepy and hyper at the same time, I’m sweating profusely but, we are here! We find everyone right away and are seated as soon as we pass the front desk. Our seats are in the back sode of the grill so, we can’t see any of the festivites or the meat grilling.

Here is my review of the dinner I posted on another thread:

Ohana dinner - My aunt beat us there and checked in for us. As soon as we were all together, the hostess sat us down and immediately asked who was the guest with the allergy. She introduced us to our waitress and the waitress said that the chef was on his way. She took drink orders and informed the rest of the table (there were 13 of us) that she could take the drink orders but, could not bring out any drink or food until the chef has spoken with me about the menu. The chef came out and was very knowledgeable about the offerings. They kept the peanut dipping sauce on the other end of the table (but he offered to not bring it out at all). Since my dd is only allergic to eggs (we just keep our distance from peanuts as much as possible just in case) we said that was fine for the rest of the table to have the sauce. She could not have the potstickers - they use an egg wash to seal the wonton wrapper, bread (has eggs to brown the top), and bread pudding. Everything else was fine. She loved the noodles and steak.

WE LOVED THE BREAD PUDDING!!!!! I thought that she would feel left out and they'd just bring a plate of pineapple or bananas or something. For dessert, she was given her own GIGANTIC ice cream sundae with eggless cookies! Let me try to explain this monstrosity of calories...
a quarter of a pineapple was the "bowl" of the dessert, then a scoop of vanilla ice cream, skewers of bananas and marshmallows were sticking out of the pineapple in a tripod form over the icecream. The thing was taller than I was sitting down! When the chef brought it to the table, he poured chocolate sauce in front of her, threw a generous scoop of whipped cream, let her put on the sprinkles and she got to pick a cherry for the top.

Sadly the cherry never made it to the top. In her mouth it went!

Ohanas gets 2

After we eat, we explore the Poly shops – love the sushi bar! – I make a note to try it next time.

The fireworks are starting as we can hear the music being piped in. It is colder than we thought it would be… in the 60’s and very windy. But, the fireworks are going and we run out to the beach to watch. The kids loved the fireworks, but, it was so cold that we only stay for a few minutes. WE actually wrapped the kids in our jackets while we were wearing them. We walk by the boutique downstairs and then we fit everyone in our 2 cars. Without all the junk in the 2 vehicles, we had plenty of room for the 13 of us.

After trying to calm the kids down, unpack, bask in the fact that we are finally here, we do not reach the bed until midnight. As soon as I lay my head down, I remember I need to put the surprise bags out on the kitchen table. I do that and write the note. Then it is truly time for bed. We have to get up early for our first day! The plan is to get up and get to Disney Hollywood Studios by park opening at 9am.

What time do we actually get there????

DisneyorBust
11-18-2009, 07:53 AM
I knew your family was going to get to 'Ohanas in time for dinner! Must have been a bit of Disney Magic or just your own determination!
What a first day! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

SBETigg
11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Fabulous! So glad you made it and had a good meal. Sounds wonderful.

KylesMom
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm very glad that you were able to make your first ADR at Ohana - I knew you weren't going to miss it! Great to hear that the chef took extra care with your daughter's food prep and that the dessert was incomparable!

Hoping that tomorrow brings good things for you and your family! :mickey:

princessgirls
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Glad you made your reservation and enjoyed your meal at O'hana!

Great time!
Thanks for sharing.
Julie:mickey:

faline
11-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Sounds like it was quite a rush to make it to your dinner! Glad it all worked out!

Mysttree
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Your trip report is GREAT! Keep 'em coming!
I feel you pain- or I will when we take our trip in Jan. We are driving from central Mexico- up to TX, then across to FL- should take almost 30 hrs...ugh! But we don't have little ones with us, so I may be the one having a melt-down!

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I knew your family was going to get to 'Ohanas in time for dinner! Must have been a bit of Disney Magic or just your own determination!
What a first day! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

It was magic, determination, Venus in regtrograde.... It took all that and then some but, we made it. Ohana's is one of our MUST DO'S so, we couldn't miss it!

Fabulous! So glad you made it and had a good meal. Sounds wonderful.

It was so good. I can't wait to have Ohana night at home. Sometime after Thanksgiving though.

Glad you made your reservation and enjoyed your meal at O'hana!

Great time!
Thanks for sharing.
Julie:mickey:

It was touch and go for a few.... :secret:

Sounds like it was quite a rush to make it to your dinner! Glad it all worked out!

The mad rush was worth it!:thumbsup:

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm very glad that you were able to make your first ADR at Ohana - I knew you weren't going to miss it! Great to hear that the chef took extra care with your daughter's food prep and that the dessert was incomparable!

Hoping that tomorrow brings good things for you and your family! :mickey:

I love how Disney helps to take the paranoia and worry out of the equation - especially for us parents of kids with allergies. The chef's were GREAT! And that dessert was RIDICULOUS. I would have been jealous if it weren't for the FABULOUS bread pudding. Oh, I'm gaining weight just thinking about it

Your trip report is GREAT! Keep 'em coming!
I feel you pain- or I will when we take our trip in Jan. We are driving from central Mexico- up to TX, then across to FL- should take almost 30 hrs...ugh! But we don't have little ones with us, so I may be the one having a melt-down!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it. Sometimes I feel like no one will understand what I write! 30 hrs???? You are my hero! We are about 18 hours away. Good luck to you!

pdrlkr
11-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: