PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for a 7 year old and a 3 year old

Cinderella's mom
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I will be taking my 7yo DD and 3yo DS next week to WDW. I know she will walk most of the time, but will get tired of walking. I have not really budgeted for the expense of renting a double stroller. My husband is not going to go this time and I can't push 2 strollers by myself. Also, the kids will not want to ride together!!!!! She has been to the World several times, but has never walked. Do you have any suggestions??? She is very tall for her age and weighs more than the 50 lb limit for a jogging stroller. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

DVC2004
11-17-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd still get the double stroller. They are the wide, molded plastic. I think they can both fit comfortably. And if your older one is not in it your little one can stretch out and vice versa. I am not really sure what else you could do without having to push two separate strollers. Good luck!

jodijo
11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
We have been going to WDW since my kids were 4 years old. We have never had or rented a stroller. In my opinion, I think your daughter is old enough to make it all day without a stroller. We found that we just took breaks to people watch when our kids needed to rest. Which was not very often. They seemed to be full of energy and needed less breaks than their parents.

Have a great trip!

BigThunderFan
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Our kids will both be 7 and 3 also when we go in January. We rented a sit & stand stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals. Last time we borrowed one like this from a friend and it worked out perfectly. My son could walk when he wanted to, or hop on the back and stand up to ride along and see where we were going. If he got tired he could turn around and sit down too. It was great. Also, it is much less expensive to rent one of these for a week than one of the Disney strollers.
I highly recommend this.:thumbsup:

SoaringEpcot
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
We also use a sit-Stand stroller for DS 1 and DS5. As the last post said the oldest can jump on and off when they want too.

BrerGnat
11-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Honestly, I also agree that your 7 year old should be able to walk all day. Bonus for that is that she will be tired at the end of the day, and fall asleep easily. If she sits all day, she'll likely be pretty hyper when you are ready for her to go to bed.

I think what I remember most about going to WDW when I was seven, was being tired of walking, and my feet hurting. Seems like part of the process to me. :secret: EVENTUALLY, she will have to walk, and with that comes tired legs and feet; might as well get her used to that now if you plan on continuing to visit WDW. Just part of life. YOU are going to have tired legs and feet too. You can plan for lots of sit down breaks, and shorter days, which you will probably NEED being alone with the two kids. ;)

I would take your lightest weight umbrella type folder for the 3 year old, and have the 7 year old walk.

Bellewannabe
11-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I like the idea of renting a sit and stand stroller. My son was in a stroller at 7, I think he would still be in a stroller at 10 if we had someone to push it (he had to make way for his much younger siblings). The double strollers at the parks are definitely snug for two. The one time we tried it for our younger ones, they were at each other because they were hot and tired. I think it also depends a lot on personality but I would like to think your seven year old would remember more than having sore feet.

rjmdds
11-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I think I am the exception here..but I have a DD7 and a DS4. We will be going to The World in 3 weeks and we rented a double stroller from the Orlando Stroller Rental place. We bascially got it "just in case" my daughter gets tired. She will then have somewhere to crash. She is rather petite so she should fit in it although rather snuggly. I just think it is still a lot of walking for her and there may be points where she just needs to rest the dogs for a little while. I know sometimes I wish I had somewhere to crash for a little while and be pushed around!:thumbsup:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm a fervent believer in that any age past 4 is REALLY pushing it for a stroller. Your daughter is old enough now to be self-reliant in this regard. When I was 7 the idea of even ASKING to sit in a stroller was unthinkable. If she complains about being tired, offer to stop at a bench. If she seems to be just trying to hitch a free ride in the stroller, I'd be the type of parent to suggest leaving the park at that point. If they're really genuinely tired, they'll agree. However, if they're anything like I was at that age, they'll quickly quiet down and not complain when faced with having to leave the park or continue walking.

BigThunderFan
11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I guess really what you are looking at here based on the replies so far, which type of parent are you going to be? Will you be the disciplinarian who thinks kids should be able to walk, but then when they get tired/grumpy you leave the park and a lot of your well earned money behind. Or do you bite the bullet on this ultra expensive trip and let your child rest a little when she wants to, but can then stay happy and go longer getting your money's worth?

I agree that seven is WAY too old for a stroller anywhere else in the world. But at WDW there is so much walking over multiple days. Plus look at how much you spent on this trip, do you want your child's memories to be of the rides and characters, or of tired feet and lots of walking?

Plus, if your kids are anything like mine, they will still crash at their normal (or close to) times at night. Every night we had to carry two sleeping children out of the parks at 9pm. They will have enough to do to wear them out all day without having to walk all day long. Besides, it's not like they have to ride all day, just when they get tired.

Of course this is my opinion and my kids will react differently than others. I hope that I do not offend anyone with this post.:blush:

Giggy
11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I guess it comes down to the specific children and how they cope with the walking, some will keep going all day while others will crash. In 1998 when my sister was 4 we went and didn't bring or hire a a stroller and she was fine walking everywhere. Then again we've always been quite an active family. :mickey:

Disneyfirsttimer
11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I agree that seven is WAY too old for a stroller anywhere else in the world. But at WDW there is so much walking over multiple days. Plus look at how much you spent on this trip, do you want your child's memories to be of the rides and characters, or of tired feet and lots of walking?

I agree. My DD will have just turned 8 when we go and I am still contemplating a stroller. She is small for her age. Until she speaks some people think she is like 5 or 6. She has little legs. Any where else I would never even consider a stroller except for WDW simply due to the fact of all the walking. I would rather have her comfortable vs. cranky.

wire0monkey
11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
My 7 year old was totally fine in August without a stroller.

We carried the 4 year old a lot, though. He was heavy.

I lost 5 pounds.

Disney Doll
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
If you go with a sit-n-stand be sure to check the weight limit. I have a sit-n-stand and it's rated for 80lbs total, 40lbs up front and 40lbs in back. Not many strollers can accommodate a 50lber.

Stitchahula
11-21-2009, 08:31 AM
I think you've received some good advice on what stroller to go with. As for the people telling you that 7 is too old for a stroller well they don't matter, this is your child and you are trying to look out for his/her best interest. I too get strange looks because my 6 year old is in a stroller, he "looks" perfectly healthy but he isn't. Go with the stroller and enjoy your vacation!

PirateLover
11-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't have advice on a specific stroller but I did want to say that you know your child best. I don't think it's fair for others to chide you for wanting to have a stroller that would accommodate both your children. 7 is still young and each child is different. I think it's good to have the option available, and not need to use it, instead of not having it if/when the child crashes.

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-21-2009, 10:33 AM
On another note, I don't think there's any downside to making your child walk. The worst the could happen might be a blister which, at least in my case, I'm usually prepared for anyway. Sure, she'll be exhausted at the end of the day but that's a benefit because she'll go right to sleep when you get back to the hotel.

During the summer when the weather is oppressive and the crowds are large it can be a trial. But right now the weather is very agreeable and the crowds are small. It shouldn't take you a lifetime to see everything and remember that most attractions are an opportunity to sit down for at least 4-5 minutes.

Stitchahula
11-21-2009, 11:03 AM
So it looks like you are getting 2 completely different sets of opinions 1 is to have a happy peaceful trip. Do the stroller thing have happy healthy children and be able to stay in the parks. The 2nd is let the children get sores on their tender little feet, let them get tired and cranky, and if they won't toughen up just leave the park. I really hope you have a great trip, and you and the children enjoy yourselves to the fullest.:thumbsup:

rubato
11-21-2009, 11:46 AM
So it looks like you are getting 2 completely different sets of opinions 1 is to have a happy peaceful trip. Do the stroller thing have happy healthy children and be able to stay in the parks. The 2nd is let the children get sores on their tender little feet, let them get tired and cranky, and if they won't toughen up just leave the park. I really hope you have a great trip, and you and the children enjoy yourselves to the fullest.:thumbsup:

I don't think anyone is saying that at all. I just think people have different views on what they expect out of their children at certain ages. Walking child doesn't negate happy, peaceful trip!

Ropachs
11-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Why not just see what happens the first day? My DS was 6 last year and was never tired or complained of pain, etc. You may find the same thing. If the first day isn't going well, go ahead and rent one of those sit/stand ones, seems that would solve the issues of the kids being together, etc.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd bring a double jogging stroller. The weight limits aren't absolutes, but rather suggestions. If you are only a few pounds over, you should still be fine. And the older child will probably want to walk a lot of the time so it's not like the stroller is going to be overloaded 24/7. And having the stroller with you will help you get the kids back to the hotel room at the end of the day when they may be passed out cold! Cuz you sure can't carry two sleeping kids!!
And I wouldn't worry about what others think of you having your kids in a stroller. Who cares how old they are? Does it impact others in any way? I don't believe so. Do what you feel is right for you and your kids. And most of all, have a magical trip.

SurferStitch
11-22-2009, 09:56 AM
What you do is ultimately your decision, so this is based on logistics alone......

If you take a large double stroller (jogger or regular), and you stay at the parks until your kids are totally wiped out, then you have to carry a taller than normal 7 year old AND a 3 year old AND a large bulky stroller onto the bus BY YOURSELF. Logistical nightmare...not to mention how impatient people can be when leaving the parks at night after fireworks. Your decision, despite what was said before, WILL impact others around you. And, since you're staying at Pop, it will be all about the buses taking you everywhere.

And, since your 7 year old is taller than normal (you didn't give an actual weight), she will be too big to sit comfortably in the WDW rental double stroller. I've seen kids younger than that with their feet dangling over the edge, just waiting to be pinned under the stroller or banged up against curbs and garbage cans.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use a stroller for your 7 year old...do what you want. I'm just pointing out the logistics of it all.

PrincessAriel514
11-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I remember when I was little (7) I would wal all day and be fine but until the end of the day came then I was VERY tired My parents said sometimes tuff if your Tired we are not getting a stroller I stuck it through and went right to bed once I got home but I got used to so now I love to walk threw disney Now and then I want to sit down but like I said I stick it threw so I would say tell her to walk and if she tired just once and a while let her sit down:mickey:
Have fun!!!!!

Seasonscraps
11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I remember when I was little (7) I would wal all day and be fine but until the end of the day came then I was VERY tired My parents said sometimes tuff if your Tired we are not getting a stroller I stuck it through and went right to bed once I got home but I got used to so now I love to walk threw disney Now and then I want to sit down but like I said I stick it threw so I would say tell her to walk and if she tired just once and a while let her sit down:mickey:
Have fun!!!!!

I am tired after a day of walking around Disney and I am much (much) older then 7. :blush:

OP....you know your children and should do what's best for your family & vacation.

Giselle
11-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Another vote for renting a double stroller. They are too big to try to get on and off a bus with especially by yourself and they are big enough to walk to the bus and stroller rental area. I just came back with my almost 6 year old and she rode in a stroller almost the entire time. I guess it just depends on your child, but she just did not want to walk that much. I'd say just try to make it a positive thing that they will ride together. Start talking about it now and say how fun it will be to get a special Disney stroller to hold 2 princesses, etc. etc. Good luck and have fun!