PDA

View Full Version : exercise options at WDW?

mousetrapper
11-16-2009, 08:58 AM
We leave for WDW later this week. :D I exercise every day - run every other day, then do other workouts on the "off" days.

I'm worried about being away from my routine for five days. (Hey, when you hit 40, it takes constant effort to stay in shape!) I want to be able to fit in exercise whenever possible. But with fully packed days every day (we tend to squeeze all the fun we possibly can into our trips), there may not be many opportunities.

My DH and DDs think I'm nuts and not to worry about it. (Obviously they're not big exercisers.) Plus they say just walking around the parks will be enough exercise. They do have a point - it sure feels like I've been exercising when I crawl into bed back at the resort every night! ;)

But I'm thinking of trying to squeeze in a few runs - maybe in the early a.m. while the DDs are still sleeping. Or hitting the treadmill at the fitness center.

But I'm staying at CBR, and I don't think they have a fitness center. The Grand Floridian is out of the question - too far out of the way and would take too much time out of our vacation.

Has anyone else faced this dilemma? More specifically, has anyone run or walked on the CBR resort grounds? I can't recall if they have a path - maybe around the lake - that is easy to navigate.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

c&d
11-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Although I've never stayed at CBR I've never had a problem finding a place to run at a resort. What I usually do is get up and run around the resort as a way to get in some exercise. I find it's a nice "me" time early in the morning.

I believe all the fitness centers at the resorts are keyed entries with your room key so I'm not sure that you'd be able to get in.

faline
11-16-2009, 09:50 AM
There are health clubs (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/accomodations/spas.asp)scattered throughout the property.

Caribbean Beach is spread out enough that I don't think you'll have any trouble finding room to run.

BigRedDad
11-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I know what you are saying. I am pushing 40, not there yet, but getting off a routine is difficult to manage. I would look at it this way though. You are on vacation, you will be exercising just walking. Get away from the routine while away, get back on when you get home.

I am starting (probably for the 6th time this year) a program that I hope to continue. The week I go to WDW, the routine will go away for that week. It is a vacation to get away from everything and just enjoy. If I liked to run, I would do that. I wake up too early not to do that.

DisneyorBust
11-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I know how you feel! Being 45 and trying to be fit, I like my scheduled workouts and running sessions. I'm torn when I go to WDW, wanting to get as much fun in as possible and especially spending time with the family while I want to continue to work out.
My most recent trips I took them as a break from working out and used the walking as my excercise. Though I have considered taking mu running shoes with me and get in a run every other day.
Reviewing my on post here, I realize that this won't help at all but I know that I'm in the same boat with you folks!:D
Have a great time and don't sweat it (pu intended) if you can't get all of the workouts in that you want.

mousetrapper
11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks so much for all the tips and support. I think if I could even get two runs in while I'm away, I'll be OK with that. I'll just run around the resort!

I will also have Thanksgiving looming when I return so all the more reason to burn off calories and keep to my routine as much as I can! :turkey:

SBETigg
11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I sent you a PM to a site that has running maps for all the resorts at WDW. I hope that helps. The CBR loop is about 1.2 miles, apparently.

Patricia
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes, The CBR has a trail all around the lake. It's great. At just over a mile you may have to loop it a few times. The only moderate that has a fitness center is the Coronado Springs.

If you want a full body workout try to figure out a routine of yoga, lunges, pushups, etc.. before you leave. Things you can do in your room. We also opt to walk whenever we can and skip the busses.

Personally, I always lose weight in WDW even though I give up my walk, run, workout routine. It's a lot of moving.

kakn7294
11-16-2009, 02:33 PM
DH is the exerciser in our family. He also runs and has run around the lake at CBR many times. He says it's a nice easy path to follow - no getting lost here - but it's all out in the open and it's easy to get overheated in the sun. He suggests running early in the am before the sun is at full strength or waiting until night when the sun would no longer be a problem. As far as other workouts, he's been to a fitness club at WDW exactly once. He wasn't impressed even though part of his routine is free-weights. He just skips that part of his rountine for vacation. He does do a short aerobic program - sit-ups, etc - nightly in our room. He picks a spot where he's as much out of the way as possible, usually between the beds or by the door. You can also swim or rent bikes.

rubato
11-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I'll be at CBR in January and plan on running around the path 3 times or so every morning. It's the only way my family can keep up with me during the rest of the day. If I didn't run, I'd be flying through the parks and losing out on so much. I am turning 40 in April and am planning on running a half marathon as my present to myself. It'll be my first race ever. I'm so excited! I actually get to start my training program the second week we're in Disney, so I guess I'll be upping that mileage that week!;)

g0189a
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I wonder if you culd run over to the Waldorf Astoria which is right next door as the crow flies to the Carribean Beach. Depending upon which island you're in, the journey may not be bad. I do not know if there is a path or a fence or alligators in the way, but the Waldorf Astoria boasts a 4000 SF workout facility.

mousetrapper
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I wonder if you culd run over to the Waldorf Astoria which is right next door as the crow flies to the Carribean Beach. Depending upon which island you're in, the journey may not be bad. I do not know if there is a path or a fence or alligators in the way, but the Waldorf Astoria boasts a 4000 SF workout facility.

I'll give that a shot. If nothing else, the alligators will make me run faster, and the fences will help me hone my hurdling skills.

And the WA also boasts a fabulous full-service spa I hear, so after my workout I'll get the full treatment - swedish massage, chemical peel, aromatherapy facial, mani-pedi and seaweed wrap.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup: