PDA

View Full Version : Flame Tree - Warning about those Ducks!!!

DisneyFr33k
11-15-2009, 08:05 AM
We just recently returned from a great trip to the World. We've eaten at Flame Tree several times over the years as we LOVE the food there. But unlike the past visits to Flame Tree, this past trip we experienced really aggressive ducks! My DD had her hand gripping the seat of her chair and a duck came up and bit her finger. Then later into our meal, she had her hand in her lap with her pinky finger resting off her leg, another duck came and bit that finger. Lastly, a toddler in a high chair was looking down at all the ducks waddling by and pointed at one to show her parents. One of the ducks ran up and bit her too. And it was a hard bite! It's bill took her finger along with most of her hand.

Anyone else observe this trend too? And for the record, we've never fed them. I wonder if anything can be done to stop this?

IamBelle
11-15-2009, 08:50 AM
We went there for the first time in August and saw all of the ducks. My sister was eating the BBQ pork and had some BBQ sauce on her finger. She put her hand down and a duck bit her finger.
I think that the ducks behave this way there because people feed them. If they read the back of the napkins saying not to feed the animals, this probably wouldn't happen as much.

cajundisneyfreak
11-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately we had the same problem.A duck bit my sister on her leg.Either people are feeding them or they are not getting fed on a regular basis.We watched some aggressive ducks at MK by Casey's Corner.One time we were sitting on a bench by the restrooms near Space Mountain and a toddler dropped some goldfish crackers.Out of the bushes came a rabbit,duck,and some birds.They acted like they were starving.It was cute and funny!

Joannelet
11-15-2009, 09:07 AM
It is definitely a problem...and those birds with the HUGE beaked birds that attack people eating their turkey legs. I had to leave my hubby and my sister while they were eating them because it grossed me out!!!

PETE FROM NYC
11-15-2009, 11:20 AM
With so many folks wrongly feeding these animals, they start to expect it and will try to bite whatever they can.
I remember at Sea World,people being dive bombed by gulls stealing food off the trays as they were being carried back to the table.Than can get to be a frightening experience.

jensantuit
11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
We had the same problem in September at the Flame Tree. Luckily we weren't bit by one of them, but my husband and I spent our meal trying to scare them away from our young boys. And even though the birds were being aggressive people around were still feeding them.

DVC2004
11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Wow biting? Scary! I wonder does Disney feed the ducks and such- I know they are wild and all. I know alot of guests feed them, hence the problem.

We were at Atlantis in the Bahamas this past winter and the birds there were super-aggressive too. It is frightening especially to kids.

Gator
11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I've never had them bite me or my family, but they often sit their waiting like my dogs at the dinner table - just waiting for their "government handouts" as I call them. I suppose, though, were a duck to bite one of us, it would be the last time. Just a warning to all you ducks out there reading this.

LudwigVonDrake
11-15-2009, 06:39 PM
People need to STOP feeding the animals. They become too comfortable with humans and expect to be fed.

Renfairwedding
11-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Feed Them…:confused:

Hold on now.... I was told by my Jungle Cruise Tour Director that the ducks in Disney were the best animatronics around.

I bet they were programmed to act just like real hungry ducks…

:donald:

mom2morgan
11-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Hold on now.... I was told by my Jungle Cruise Tour Director that the ducks in Disney were the best animatronics around.

LOL! Well, then Disney should program them to quit biting ;-)

Mitzie
11-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Beginning of Oct. my DH and I were sitting at Flametree and a duck nipped him on the bottom!! Didn't hurt just startled him a little.

MushuGrl
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Okay, aggressive ducks are one thing.

But FRESH aggressive ducks?

That's just wrong.

(This actually happens to me at every theme park. My first experience at Dollywood was was getting drop-kicked by a duck. And don't get me started on peacocks...)

SBETigg
11-16-2009, 12:34 PM
The food isn't good for the ducks/birds/wildlife. They adapt their natural behaviors around getting an easy meal and develop an unhealthy diet/unhealthy habits. This is why Disney asks people not to feed the wildlife in these situations. It's so sad, not just for the guests who end up getting attacked but also for the animals who are hurting from it in the end.

DisneyPrincess21
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Beginning of Oct. my DH and I were sitting at Flametree and a duck nipped him on the bottom!! Didn't hurt just startled him a little.

:rotfl: that is the best thing i have read all day!! That brings the term "goosed" to a whole other level! :funny: your hubby was "ducked" LOL!!!

Granny Jill A
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
My sis and I had lunch at Flame Tree last week, and the ducks were underfoot the whole time. I've never been nipped, but I've never fed them. The ducks are most likely native to the area and not Disney ducks :D.

DisneyPrincess21
11-16-2009, 02:59 PM
The ducks are most likely native to the area and not Disney ducks :D.

LOL funny you should say Disney Ducks. Back in 2006 I was at epcot waiting for illuminations to start, and i was sitting on the ground by the lagon fence and there was some ducks on the other side of the fence, and a little boy around 4yrs old was walking by and noticed the ducks on the other side of the fence and he said "look at the ducks!!! Hello Disney Ducks!!"
haha it was so cute, so now i always call them "disney ducks"

MaxPower
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I guess those ducks have learned what I have known for years: Flametree BBQ has the best ribs in WDW

BluewaterBrad
11-16-2009, 03:18 PM

LOL!!!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
We've seen the same behavior from the ducks at Flame Tree, but it is clearly because people disregard the many warnings (napkins, flyer handed out with meals, etc.) about feeding the wildlife and do so anyway. So the ducks and other birds lose their fear of humans and associate them with food instead. Even worse than that are the parents who allow their toddlers to chase and harass the the birds.

I'm sorry for your daughter's experience with the ducks thinking her little fingers might be or hold a tasty morsel, but please don't hold it against them. Until people step up and show some common sense in not feeding them, their behavior will probably not change.

DisneyFr33k
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
but please don't hold it against them. Until people step up and show some common sense in not feeding them, their behavior will probably not change.

We don't hold it against them. They are only doing what people have inadvertantly trained them to do - go for food! I agree, until people stop feeding them food, it will only feed their behavior!

beksy
11-19-2009, 03:28 AM

LOL...that is so funny! Don't those ducks know it is a family park? :nono:

:funny: :rotfl:

LudwigVonDrake
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
It's not just the Ducks that get aggressive. We were eating at Blizzard Beach and there were black birds literally swooping the tables trying to get food. People have to stop feeding them.