PDA

View Full Version : Yet another southwest ?

disneymom15
11-14-2009, 12:29 PM
First time flying SW. I know we have to check in 24 hours prior to departure for priority seating. I think I remember hearing that elderly in wheelchairs get first priority. Is this true? Also, if it is true, does everyone in the traveling party also get first priority?
One other question. We won't have a computer with us to check in at the end of our trip, can we call or will Disney do it for us?

Fangorn
11-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes, passengers with disabilities or who need some extra assistance can get a blue early boarding card and will be boarded first. Ask for the card when you check in or at the service desk at your gate.

Generally, SW will allow the whole party to board first, but they could balk at that if the whole party was, say, 12 people. If it's just a couple of people, no problem. Be aware, that anyone who boards in the priority group - not just the actual person needing assistance - may NOT sit in the exit rows. The entire party will generally be directed to sit in the first couple of rows.

As for checking in on the return - you have a couple of options.
1) If you have a cell phone with internet capability, you can check in via SW's mobile checking site.
2)You can also go to Guest Services at any of the parks or to the Concierge desk at your resort. They will check you in - just remember to have your confirmation number with you.
3)A new alternative with SW is to pay an additional $10 per person each way, and use their early-bird system. With this system, SW automatically checks you in, so you don't have to worry about it.

However, if your party has someone needing assistance, you don't really need to worry about checking in right at the 24 hour mark anyway. You can just check in at the airport, get your blue card and not worry about what group/number you get.

Hope this helps.

Steve
:mickey:

DisneyFr33k
11-15-2009, 07:22 AM
We paid extra for the early bird check in and didn't regret it one bit! We went down to Disney World for 5 days and then a 3 day Disney cruise. We were on Castaway Cay during the 24 hour check in window. So it was really nice not to have to worry about it and have SW check in for me (at the 36 hour mark). Both traveling down and back we were assigned the A group and were among the first 10 on the plane.

Marilyn Michetti
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I travel with my ECV, and am usually the very first one boarded because the scooter needs to be carried down the steps and loaded in baggage. We are usually in the bulkhead seats, except for the one time a family boarded with a huge white guide dog. We gave up our seats for Sally and her family.:thumbsup:

beksy
11-16-2009, 12:00 AM
We had my mom with us in a wheelchair when we flew Southwest in October. She was allowed to board first both ways. The official policy is that one family member can board with the person and it must depend on who is working as to how well this is enforced. We flew out of Pittsburgh on a 1/2 full plane and they let Mom board with me but my sister had to wait (it was only the 3 of us). On the way back, we were on another 1/2 full plane and they let the 3 of us stay together. So its not how full the plane is or how many are with you. :confused: I'm guessing it's just if the people want to enforce the rule or not (and maybe if they've had a good day!)

BigThunderFan
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
When my son was 6 months old we flew SW to Florida and had a great trip. However, on the way home there was one person in a wheelchair who boarded prior to families with small children. I understood that. However, the 6 other people with them were also allowed to board. They all had their seats reclined and refused to lean up so we could get our son's car seat (which we paid for a full price seat) strapped in.
If we were able to sit in the front row like on the way down we wouldn't have had this problem. But those 6 all though they needed the extra leg room so they could recline further and relax.:mad: