PDA

View Full Version : 3 week dream trip

JoF
11-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Well - I have finally got round to this. We arrived back in England on Tuesday morning (3rd Nov) after a fantastic 3 weeks. I went back to work on Wednesday - it was really difficult getting up at 6.30am!
I am not going to bore everyone with a day by day account but wanted to share some of the highlights.
Cast
Me - Jo -Planner and driver - 39 - 6th trip
Sister - Deb- 36 - 3rd trip
Neice - Rosie -8 - 3rd trip
Mum - Jayne - 64 - 3rd trip
Dad - Trev - 72 - 2nd trip

We left London on 12th October after making use of the twilight check in service and free passes for the V-room (Virgin Atlantic airport lounge)
The only downside to the journey was from two jobs worth security workers in Gatwick who seemed to delight in making people suffer!
We landed in Orlando 9 ½ hours later and collected our luggage, had a smooth transition through immigration, picked up our hire car and headed for POFQ

We managed to get connecting rooms on the top floor and after unpacking we went to explore.
We loved this small resort and the cast members were brilliant during our stay. We also loved how mouse keeping arranged the various toys we accumulated that appeared to increase on a daily basis.
Unfortunately for about 3 days during our first week, me, my sister and my niece were ill with a respiratory infection and temperature, but we kept going determined not to miss anything! The front desk were so kind and even gave us a complimentary roll out bed so that Rosie did not have to sleep in with either myself or Deb.

We had the quick service dining plan - how great is this? It saved us so much money - the only downside is that the food court at POFQ was a little repetitive over 3 weeks but this couldn’t be helped. We made use of the boat ride to DTD and used our credits in Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express - both absolutely delicious. We found that we had credits to spare towards the end of the holiday and ended up giving away drinks and cookies and brownies. We also found a couple of families and “paid” for their meals - it was nice to be able to do something for others that was really appreciated.

The best bits -
MNSSHP - this was so much fun - we all went dressed as pirates and Rosie had a makeover in the Pirates League. We got so much candy trick or treating and managed to meet some cool characters and take advantage of rides with little or no wait. Hallowishes were spectacular.

Wishes Dessert Party - this was practically the only colder evening we had during our stay and luckily had taken sweaters. The desserts were out of this world and just the right size to give you a taster - plus it meant you could try several different ones without being too full!
We had a great view of the fireworks but the best bit was getting an up close view of Tinkerbell flying from the castle - she went right over our heads - it was fab.

Teppan Edo - we went here for dinner on Deb’s birthday (31st Oct). What can I say - the food was fresh and delicious - even mum and dad enjoyed it. The chef was very entertaining although I think every chef performs the same or similar tricks. The Cherry blossom martinis were even more delicious than I imagined.
The funniest thing was that the family that shared our table (I think they were from somewhere in Chicago) this evening were right behind us in the queue for BTMR the next day. Someone made a comment about it being a small world after all - ha ha.

Discovery cove dolphin swim - non Disney I know, but this was such a special day I had to include it. It was just me, Deb and Rosie - we stayed all day and had breakfast, lunch and all drinks/snacks included. Our dolphin was called Dixie and the interactions we had with her was one of the best things of our trip.
We also snorkelled in the tropical fish lagoon and waded with some rays, and we took a walk through the aviary where you can feed different exotic birds. Needless to say I was the lucky one who got poop on her head!

Food and wine festival - this is wonderful - we mooched around sampling different dishes and trying wine and cocktails. What a great way to spend the day. Rosie also completed a mask and a passport at the kid cot stops and we also did some of the Kim Possible adventures which were really fun. Love EPCOT

Magic Kingdom - always has and always will be my favourite. We worked out that the days the Halloween party was on then the park would be very quiet all day- we were walking on rides with little or no wait. My sister and I went on haunted mansion for the first time this trip - the cast member was so good - I think he was more scary than the actual ride - after the picture stretching and pitch blackness, he ended up right in front of us - Deb nearly had an accident! I knew he looked at us funny as we entered the ride!

Hollywood studios - we thought that Block party bash is one of the best parades ever. We loved the soldiers shouting out the orders and the great music.
50’s prime time diner - we had a blast - our waiter was excellent - Mum had to stand and sing “I’m a little teapot” for having her elbows on the table and Deb had to stand with her nose against the wall because mum had told him that she was the laziest! She even had to lay the table and clear up afterwards. I think the waiter really had it in for her.

Our only disappointment was the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian - I don’t want to go into details but we were so looking forward to it, and felt it was a bit of a let down. We did actually get offered a 50% refund.

And lastly - the weather - WOW it was hot - we had a few downpours during the first week as it was so humid but then we had bright sunshine and it didn’t really cool down in the evening. Mum and Dad had to take it easy some days as it really affected them but we weren’t complaining. It was fun going back to the room at night and hunting out the small frogs that appeared in the lights on the balconies presumably to catch the moths and flies.

We didn’t really want to come home but knew it was inevitable. The last week went very quickly. I know we will be back someday soon …….:cloud9:

Joannelet
11-14-2009, 08:49 AM
What a great trip report!!! I'm jealous you got to go for 3 weeks!!!
Sorry your time for tea at the GF wasn't what you had expected. Its a good thing though that you got a 50% refund.
I am eating at Teppan Edo in 2 weeks for the first time. I enjoyed reading your report and I'm looking forward to it now! :)
I wish I had the same experience that you had at 50's!!! We had a waitress that really didn't talk much to us except take our order. :( We were really disappointed.
I would have had to DRAG myself to work after 3 weeks in the World! I'm glad you had a wonderful time despite the HOT weather. Glad you are all feeling well too!! I'm sure the plane doesn't help matters and its probably where you all caught if from. I always get some sort of cold on an airplane.
Thanks for the wonderful report!

faline
11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Three weeks must have really given you a chance to explore the World in a relaxed way! Although there were some glitches, it sounds like you had a lovely trip!

Mysttree
11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Wow- I think I speak for most of us who are so totally jealous of your 3 weeks in our 'happy place'!! It sounds though like you had a pretty terrific time. Sorry about the afternoon tea, that is something that I have been looking forward to doing. Was it that you are from England and expected it to be more 'traditional'? As an ignorant American who does actually prefer tea to coffee- I'm just happy when they have more choices than just 'orange pekeo'!
Thanks for your trip report!

KylesMom
11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
What a wonderful trip your family shared together! From MNSSHP to the Wishes Dessert Party, it all sounds so wonderful.

Too funny about HM and the Cast Member who scared your sister - some of them really add so much to the attraction!

I'm still trying to convince my husband to do 50's Prime Time - I think he's afraid he would be singing "I'm a Little Teapot". That sure would be something to see! :D

I hope your illness didn't knock you out for too long and that you didn't miss too much. Overall, really a fabulous trip. Thanks for sharing with us all! :mickey:

pdrlkr
11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks For the Report! :balloon:

DisneyorBust
11-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing your report with us! Sorry to read about the illness though, always worse when on vacation. Sounds like it was a fantastic trip overall!

BluewaterBrad
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Three weeks at WDW!! Must have been a blast!!:mickey:

MaxPower
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Very good trip report to read

SBETigg
11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry the tea wasn't to expectation, and that there were some issues with health, but everything else sounds lovely. I'm glad you had a good time. It's so hard to leave and get back to regular life, isn't it? Thanks for the report!

RedSoxFan
11-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Three weeks --- that has to be heaven. Glad you had a great time.:mickey:

conorsmom2000
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Wow, three weeks at Disney!! That's like a dream come true! Sounds like a wonderful time!! :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Teppan Edo - we went here for dinner on Deb’s birthday (31st Oct). What can I say - the food was fresh and delicious - even mum and dad enjoyed it. The chef was very entertaining although I think every chef performs the same or similar tricks.

Glad you all had a good experience there. We were there October 27th for dinner. Our chef was brand new, as we could tell by another chef standing near by observing her every move. She didn't perform tricks at all - only the smoking volcano of onions. And she cooked our food very slowly. Once she put our veggies down, we ate them all before she had prepared the meats

We have a Japanese restaurant near us that cooks the same as Teppan Edo. We'll save our money for that one and try Germany next time we are at Epcot.

Glad you have a magical three weeks. We're envious you could spend that long there!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-03-2009, 10:46 AM
What a wonderful trip

Mickeydream
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Glad that you had only minor setbacks with your long visit to WDW. It all sounds so wonderful. We enjoyed 50's Prime Time also on our trip in November. It certainly makes a difference how involved your waitstaff is in your dining experience. Thanks for reporting. :mickey: