PDA

View Full Version : San Angel and Les Chefs Reviewed

Baloo Da Man!
11-13-2009, 09:06 PM
More from my recent trip …

San Angel Inn – 3 out of 5 stars. We wanted to try something new and I was pleasantly surprised. This is not your familiar cheap Mexican place in the suburban strip mall just down the road. My beef tenderloin dish was good, but DW's chicken in mole sauce stole the show - oustanding. Service was excellent. The atmosphere was pretty, but a bit loud and cramped, especially after a long day (we flew in that morning). The food was good and not just another menu full of the various combinations of tortillas stuffed with chopped beef, cheese, beans, lettuce tomato and rice. DW liked the marguerita she ordered. I ordered a Dos Equis because of those awesome “most interesting man in the world” commercials.

Tip: ask for a side of guacamole when they serve the chips and salsa.

Les Chefs De France – 3 out of 5 stars. We got a table for two at the window, which was ideal. We sipped a nice Bordeaux with a fresh baguette. We shared 2 appetizers: a traditional French cheese plate and a traditional French pate and cold meat plate. We probably could have stopped there, or maybe just ordered some French onion soup. We love to go as traditional as possible in the World Showcase restaurants and these appetizers nailed it (they declined, however, to offer the stinkier cheeses that you get in France, which was fine for me as I generally don’t like to eat things that smell worse than my running shoes). But alas, we bypassed the onion soup and went to the entrees. DW had the scallops, mahi mahi and shrimp on rice, I had the tenderloin. While these dishes were good, I did not get the impression they were particularly French. Maybe Americans have been copying for so long the styles are indistinguishable. Maybe I was expecting more after my California Grill experience. Maybe I am just an idiot. I probably should have chosen something else, but I went on the waitress’s recommendation. Yes it was good, but I left wanting more.

Tip: I think we would have preferred a lunch with just the appetizers and the soup.

Beer – I was thirsty and happened to be next to the Rose & Crown Pub, and one thing led to another and I accidentally found myself talking to the bartender and sampling beers. I picked the Boddingtons Ale, which is a creamy ale, and few things in life have ever tasted better to me. 150 stars out of 5. Math is irrelevant when discussing beer. I might just move to England.

DisneyorBust
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I almost passed on this review but I'm glad that I didn't! Though the restaurant reviews were informative, the beer review quickly caught my attention! I have never been in the Rose & Crown Pub but that will change come February.
That Boddington's does sound interesting...:beer::D

SurferStitch
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
DH and I love going into the Rose and Crown Pub and having a black and tan. They make the true black and tans there, and they are awesome. Best of all, we can use our TIW card at the bar and save 20% on our beer!

Thanks for the reviews!

SBETigg
11-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I've had mixed experiences at both San Angel and Les Chefs, but they both remain favorites for sentimental reasons. Thanks for the reviews. (Dos Equis Man, LOL!). We also enjoy the Rose & Crown. Fun times.

beksy
11-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Nice to hear that another person had a good experience at San Angel Inn. We have to go there every trip--its tradition--but I usually really enjoy the food too. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
11-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Nice to hear that another person had a good experience at San Angel Inn. We have to go there every trip--its tradition--but I usually really enjoy the food too. :mickey:

I'll give San Angel 5 of 5 stars for atmosphere, however with our experience I have to reduce that just a bit for service and food to 1 of 5 stars.....sorry, we just hyped it up so much on many trips, finally had the chance to dine there and absolutley couldn't stand it.....sorry...:sick:

SuzieN
11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
We LOVED San Angel Inn!!! It was the best dining surprise of our trip last month. Everything we had to eat was delicious and, of course, you can't beat that beautiful atmosphere!!!

DisneyorBust
11-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok, I need a Boddington's and a Black and Tan...I may have to stop at R&C twice!:D

pdrlkr
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :eat: