PDA

View Full Version : California Grill Reviewed

Baloo Da Man!
11-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Nov. 7 -11. Just got back. Had a conference in Orlando so DW and I ditched the kids and stayed at Poly, taking a little extra time for ourselves. Here is my first of 3 dining reviews:

California Grill - 5 out of 5 stars. Holy Moly was that good - and expensive. DW and I asked for and received a seat at the chef's counter, overlooking the open air kitchen. We sipped an excellent Sonoma Valley pinot noir while chatting with Mark the chef who was making sushi rolls right in front of us. We had excellent sashimi and a Malibu roll (cobia, tuna tartare, tempura wrapped, etc.) for appetizers. DW is a major sushi snob and only accepts the freshest and best and she gave this offering 2 thumbs up.

Chef Mark then took us through the menu, describing in detail each of the dishes and their preparation. Our waiter was very good too, but Mark gave us the inside scoop. For the first course, DW had the lobster and goat cheese risotto while I had the tomato soup (nothing like Campbell’s). For the main course DW ordered the signature pork tenderloin on goat cheese polenta, I went with a crispy chicken and pork butt dish with beet relish that was premiering on the menu that night. It was a recent creation of the sous chef that Mark said all the chefs raved about. It was awesome. The pork was slow cooked forever in a perfect barbecue sauce and melted in my mouth. All the tastes on the plate were unique, yet they all belonged together, creating one of the more diverse dishes I have ever had. I never would have ordered it without Mark's recommendation. I eat so much chicken at home I usually avoid it in restaurants. What a great way to enjoy a gourmet meal, learning from (and joking with) one of the chefs, and watching the machine that is a gourmet kitchen.

Dessert was a sinful chocolate cake with a hot melted chocolate center and salty caramel ice cream. We finished with a cordial, very full bellies and fireworks. Outstanding service, great food, perfect ambiance, and a correspondingly colossal bill. This place earns its reputation. I would have to sell one of the kids to eat there every night, but on special occasions, it is worth every penny.

Tip: I don't think I would bring my picky-eater kids there. Too expensive for chicken nugget devotees. Perhaps a baby sitter and a night for mom and dad is a better option. Love the chef's counter. Hands down, it was my best dining experience at WDW (caveat: never been to V&As).

Joannelet
11-13-2009, 08:41 PM
ah, great review. Cali grill is great!! We love it there too.
I have been to V & A too....V & A is much more expensive. Cali Grill is more doable within the price range to definitely do it more than once. V & A is wonderful but I think because of the price one time is enough for me! (unless someone wants to take me there as a surprise of course! LOL)
Glad you had a wonderful meal!! Now I want to eat there again!

SurferStitch
11-13-2009, 08:57 PM
The lobster and goat cheese risotto sounds delicious. I really hope they have it on the menu when we dine there in December!

Glad you had an excellent experience. We've always had wonderful meals there.

DisneyorBust
11-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the review. DW and I will return to the "World" in February and are going to seize the opportunity to have dinner at the California Grill. Can't wait! Reviews like yours make me want to go right now!

2MuchWDFun
11-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the great review. Your description inspired me to change an ADR for our upcoming trip. Looking forward to a great meal!

SBETigg
11-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Love the California Grill for the views, food, and service. So glad you enjoyed it.

mdhiggin
11-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Wow. You make all the food sound sinful. I can't wait for our reservation next month.

beksy
11-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the great review. I can't wait to try it for the first time in 45 days!

Katzateer
11-14-2009, 07:38 AM
One of our favorites! We have made it a point to go during each trip since we enjoy it so much. For our 30th wedding anniversary I ordered a cake. It was really good and we took it back to the room and enjoyed for a few days.

The girls always take pictures of their desserts since they love the way they are presented and post them on their computer.

Thanks for the review!

DZNYGUY
11-14-2009, 09:42 AM
My new wife and I made a ressie at California Grill the frist night of our honeymoon. Halfway through dinner we stepped out to the balcony. Champagne in hand we watched Wishes! from the roof of the contemporary and it was truly one of the happiest moments of my life. Because of that experience this restaurant will hold a special place in my heart forever.

Oh yeah, the food is great too! :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
11-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with you 100%

We always try and pick a special place for our last night's meal in the world. @ year ago we went to California Grill.

We arrived early for our ADR and were seated promptly at a table facing the castle. Our server was named Chaz and he was fantastic.
He even timed our deserts to come out right after Wishes. That meal was one of the nicest experiences at WDW.

epceddie
11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry to disagree, but the dining experience at the California Grill is way too noisy and chaotic and the menu really isn't that appealing.

Lakin
11-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Glad to hear you had a great time at California Grill. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-14-2009, 11:05 PM
My sis and I ate there last year. It was fantastic. The service was impeccable and the food fantastic. I've sent two different friends there and they both loved it too!

pdrlkr
11-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the Review! :eat:

mom2morgan
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Sounds fabulous! We went as a family (my youngest child is 9, so not a problem - and we really appreciated that the children's menu has REAL food on it - a very nice steak and potatoes). The price does make it only suitable for very special occasions for us, though (daughter's 16th birthday). We could get a reasonable meal for 4 in the town we live in for the 18% tip alone!

Tinkermom
11-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Sounds fabulous! We went as a family (my youngest child is 9, so not a problem - and we really appreciated that the children's menu has REAL food on it - a very nice steak and potatoes). The price does make it only suitable for very special occasions for us, though (daughter's 16th birthday). We could get a reasonable meal for 4 in the town we live in for the 18% tip alone!

We love to go to Cali Grill as a family! We don't go every trip due to the price and we try to save it for a special meal.

Cali Grill is our kids' favorite restaurant and our DD8 LOVES the steak on the kids menu. In fact she asks daddy to make steak at home "like Cali Grill". LOL! Our son who is 13 loves the wood-grilled pzza and our oldest son (14) will usually try something off the adult menu. We had a WONDERFUL family meal last December just before Christmas. We decided that we would celebrate Christmas a few days early and we all dressed up in our Christmas outfits, enjoyed a fabulous meal, wonderful service and topped it off with an incredible view of Holiday Wishes! :santa: Made some great memories!