PDA

View Full Version : Need a new choice

kcrc
11-13-2009, 12:15 PM
We're trying to change things up a little bit for our next visit (July 2010). We've usually stayed at the Polynesian, but are thinking of trying a different hotel next time.

We're considering:
Beach Club - I know this is a lot of folks' favorite. How crowded is the pool area in the summer? I'm afraid it will be so crazy that we won't even enjoy it. Also, are there parts of this pool that are 7 feet deep? I have a 7 year old and, while he's a good swimmer and I always keep an eye on him, I don't want to be tense whenever he's in the pool.

Wilderness Lodge - I'm still so partial to being in the Magic Kingdom area of the resort. That just feels like "Disney" to me. Thoughts?

Animal Kingdom Lodge - For this one, do you still feel the Disney magic? We did stay at Port Orleans Riverside one time with my daughter's team, and there were times we didn't necessarily feel like we were at Disney. We felt very removed from everything. Does it feel like it takes you a long time to get everywhere using Disney transportation? Does this pool have a waterslide?

Or - if you have a different favorite - share that too!

Thanks for your help!

MOJoe
11-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I had the same feeling at Port Orleans. Nice, but a very secluded vibe.
The Beach Club, on the other hand, really puts you in the middle of things. Epcot, right next door. The Boardwalk right across the lake. The Studios, just a boat ride around the bend. Wonderful location. And Stormalong Bay was great. We visited in June, and the pool never felt overcrowded. In fact it never felt as crowded as Port Orleans did in March. Go figure.
And one point on pool safety. I was standing next to a lifeguard, chatting about whatever, when suddenly she jumped into the pool to "save" a child. The kid was not in any trouble at all, only holding his breath under water. But the lifeguard got concerned because he seemed to be below the surface too long. The other lifeguards ending up teasing her mildly that she needed to cool off on that hot day, but her quick actions at the first hint of trouble earned my respect.

SBETigg
11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
We're big monorail resort fans and I know how you feel. We tried Port Orleans Riverside once, and while it is lovely, it wasn't the same for us, either. Now we alternate between the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. Our kids love the Polynesian, but the Grand Floridian feels like home for my husband and I, and we miss it even when we're at the Poly.

We keep thinking about eventually trying the Beach Club, and our son fell in love with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. But none of us want to stray from the MK area to try anything else when it comes down to it. And hey, we're very happy there so why stray? I get the feeling it will end up like our POR stay and we'll have a good trip but we'll leave feeling vaguely unsatisfied. So good luck! It's a tough decision and I understand your dilemma completely.

WRWDisney
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Love the Beach Club, but I would be a little leery for the pool area for younger children. It is very large and spread-out. If you like to "make camp" and and watch the kids from your chair, that won't happen. On the other hand, if you want to be in the pool with them, it is a fantastic pool area.

On another couple of your options, we love both Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness lodge. I will say that while it is a little remote, that is one of the beauties with AKL. Also, if you take advantage of the Concierge staff at the front desk, you will not find a better team than the Concierge team at AKL. Finally, the animals at AKL make it a truly unique resort experience.

Good luck as you try and make your decision:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Animal Kingdom, Beach, or Wilderness Lodge.....

here endeth the lesson

lockedoutlogic
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Sorry....didn't think to expand....

animal kingdom is by far the most unique with great restaurants and facilities.....some are put off by the location....but really, it's no farther from the opposite corners of the property than anywhere else

wilderness has the most "american" feeling to it...and probably provides the best overall atmosphere of any disney location (i know it's blastphemous to many....but the monorail line hotels fall way short on this....they just have a choo-choo out front)

Beach is in the best spot....the expansive pool complex, the access to yacht, swan, dolphin, and boardwalk, and especially the easy access to two parks makes it great