PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Concern

poohbear813
11-12-2009, 10:10 PM
My family and I were at the Magic Kingdom yesterday. It was a beautiful day and the crowds were pretty light. Around 7:15 in the evening we were waiting in line for a Dole Whip. I hear this huge crash and look over and there is a lady on the ground having a seizure. She was all alone and we asked the girl working the counter to call for help. We stood there for 30 minutes waiting for someone to get there. Different cast members kept walking past and they would ask if anyone had called but no one stopped to help. Finally someone showed up and we left. My 6 year old DD was terrified. Lo and behold when we were leaving the very same woman passed out in line waiting for the boat back. This time they finally called an ambulance. It was very scary how long it took for anyone to respond to the first episode. Sorry for the rant but it was very upsetting.:blush:

NotaGeek
11-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Hopefully you made someone at Guest Services aware ... or at least sent an email about how this played out. Unfortunately ranting here doesn't provide any learning for the cast members in question ... it definitely doesn't sound like it was handled well. We don't know the full story though ... the woman could have refused help in the park.

My advice in, in the future if its as bad as you describe call 911 immediately if you don't feel like the cast members are responding.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow! I am so sorry, that must have been so scary for your DD.

I'm so surprised that the CM's didn't "jump into action" and get the right people there ASAP.

I also agree that a note to Guest Relations would be good, just so they can realize that things aren't going quite according to plan (and I'm sure there is a plan for dealing with first aid issues).

BedknobsandBroomsticks
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
that she had had a seizure when they did arrive? I am assuming she was done seizing by then. It could be that they thought she had just fainted or something. I am very surprised because you would think that Disney would know an ambulance must be called for a seizure. Maybe she did refuse treatment.

starryeyes21
11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I used to work with a few students who were prone to seizures. An ambulance does not have to be called every time a person has a seizure if they have had them in the past. There are only two reasons to call an ambulance if someone has a seizure. The first reason you would call is if the seizure lasted for more than five minutes. The second reason is if it is the first time the person has had a seizure ever.

If she came out of the seizure and was lucid she can refuse treatment at any time. When someone does come round after a seizure they are usually tired and groggy. This might be why you saw her pass out. After a seizure most people sleep for hours.

Perhaps, what looked to you like nonchalant behavior by the CM's might not have been. If she refused treatment and was lucid nobody can help her. Also, if they are not appropriately trained in seizure protocols then they cannot help.