PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been during 1st trimester?

jonahbear2006
11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Anyone been to Disney in their first trimester and stayed for the week? We have been planning a trip mid-december for awhile now and just found out i am pregnant. I have morning sickness and I will be 10 weeks during our disney trip...im wondering if anyones been through this and how did they cope with all the smells and rides and walking....personal stories would be reassuring. ty

BigRedDad
11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Congratulations. I cannot offer any comments other than I have read many women post about this and how the cope with it. Enjoy your trip and I am sure others will be here to offer encouragement.

Joannelet
11-12-2009, 09:10 AM
I found out I was prego when I was in Disneyland. The day I was getting on the plane I threw up. I thought it was nerves from the flight.
Then when we got there the next day I took the test and found out I was.
I have to say that I had morning sickness until my 36th week. I made out fine the rest of the trip but we just did it a little slower.
Just take water with you and anything that can ward off the morning sickness during the day. Prego pops helped, a gum that was apple flavored help me tremendously, pieces of apples, pineapple etc. Just try to have access to something to help you through the day. Snack as much as you can (that also helps).
You can still do things. You can go to all the shows and a lot of the rides are still a go ahead. If you ever feel tired just go and rest. Listen to your body. Have your dr. give you the go ahead (as they know your health best)
But walking is good for you and the baby...so there is no problem with the walking. Just rest as much as you can. Actually you will probably enjoy Disney more this way because you will actually get to slow down and enjoy it a little more and people watch etc. :) I know I did :)
Another thing to do is go to a site that has a list of foods that you shouldn't eat during pregnancy so that you know what you are eating when you are there is good for you and the baby:)
I forgot to ask if this was your first or not. If it isn't your first then you know about foods and what not to eat so just ignore that part LOL
But as long as your dr doesnt see a reason not to go then go ahead and just enjoy!!!

Gator
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
My wife was in her 2nd trimester when we went to WDW back in 2006. She had some morning sickness, but everything was better when she starting eating at Le Cellier and Flame Tree BBQ. :D

barbiegirl314
11-12-2009, 12:38 PM
My family and I went in December of 2004 and were there for 10 days. I was 11/12 weeks pregnant while we were there. My morning sickness was starting to wind down at this point and I kind of had a handle on certain foods that seemed to trigger it, and was still able to enjoy all the foods I enjoy there (except of course the :marg:)

I stayed away from the all the rides w/the warnings (BTMRR, Space MTN, Splash MTN, even Goofy's Coaster), but I still enjoyed my favorites (Peter Pan, IASW, POTC). I did sit and rest a bit more frequently because I did find myself tiring more easily and I took naps w/my younger son when we went back to the hotel.

Make sure you carry plenty of water with you and listen to your body.

WelshieLover
11-12-2009, 12:44 PM
I went to Disneyland when I was 6 months pregnant with my first. I rode all the rides I wanted to (not Space Mountian or The Matterhorn, but I did do Star Tours and Big Thunder Mountain) as I was able to wear clothes that hid my preganancy really well. Needless to say my son who visited in utero is now a Disney nut. We will be at BWV in January!

luvkatiebug
11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I think I was about 12 weeks when we went in 2004, and I didn't have any problems. I fortunately did not have morning sickness. I followed the guidelines for what rides not to ride except the Safari in AK. I did that one and had no problems, but that is a personal decision. Have a great time and take it easy!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
11-12-2009, 03:13 PM
My wife went when she was 7months pregnant and had a great time. Yes she couldn't ride the E-ticket rides, but she could still ride everything else. Best tip is to drink lots of water, sit if you need to, and relax, have fun!

jonahbear2006
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. i feel like this is possible now. its nice to hear people do this and still have a good time. Is it just me or isnt space mountain a lot easier going than big thunder mountain? i think i could probably do space mountain. From what i read, it isnt the rides themselves that will harm the baby but the possible emergency stops that are what could cause harm. Im really bummed I dont get to ride rock and roller coaster. THAT one i would NOT consider riding right now. even if it were ok, it would prob really shake that kid up. This is my 5th pregnancy. Ive never been in a theme park with the other pregnancies. So this is a big help to hear your tips and tricks.

lighteningqueen
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
My daughter was in her first,Kilamanjaro Safari was the worst for her but warning do not sit in the back row it is very bumpy compared to the other seats so be sure and tell them you want to sit closer to the driver and why... She didn't want to try space ee, even dinasour because she is high risk after loosing one. Just didn't want to take any chances. She didn't eat much but she is not a heaver so that wasn't a problem with sickness just didn't eat much during her pre. Only gained 10 pounds and then had her in June this year and she was 6# 12 Oz. Good luck and have fun....

Daisy'sMom
11-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Go, have fun, you won't be the only one fighting morning sickness I am sure. Sacrifice the roller coasters, it will be worth it in the end. Just think of what you are getting in the end. A few missed rides won't compare.:mickey:

Joannelet
11-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't do space mountain either only because the bar is literally on your lower belly.
You shouldn't have a tight bar like that pressing down on the baby :( I would definitely skip that ride and Thunder Mt. Its not worth the risk.....
Congrats on your 5th by the way!!! :)

starryeyes21
11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
I went to Disney this past August and I was in my 14th week of pregnancy. The plane ride was about two hours long and it did aggravate my morning sickness. I took a lot of small snacks with me like pretzels, a bagel, saltines, and chips. I also had two bottled waters. You are more likely to dehydrate on a place. Also, you should get up every forty five minutes and move around.

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and requested a room close to the lobby and food court so I wouldn't have to do too much walking while in the resort. Also, every day in the middle of the afternoon we would leave whatever park we were in and take a little nap. I totally needed it. I was there when it was very hot so it might be different for you. So we would arrive in whatever park at 9 leave at 11:30, and be back by 2:45.

I was able to do most of the rides. I skipped anything with a warning. Roller coasters of any sort are a no-no. I also skipped out on the safari. Some women do brave it but for me I thought it would be too bumpy. I also rode Toy Story Mania, but after wished I hadn't because it was kinda spinny and in turn made my head swoon.

My husband pushed me in a wheelchair because after one day of moderate walking my feet were swelling and we decided we didn't want to push our luck. I have to say that everyone at Disney from employees to other guests were very helpful and courteous. Make sure you drink lots of water. I became dehydrated once and it was not fun. I almost passed out on the Great Movie Ride. I had eaten a big box of popcorn and, in turn, a huge amount of salt. Suddenly, BAM! I could barely stand.

The best part, for me anyway, were the snacks. I got to eat big oatmeal cookies, Japanese shaved ice, popcorn, Dole whip, and brownie sundae. Also, when my husband was on the bigger rides I got to look in the shops and a nice leisurely pace. And I got some great pictures of him zooming around a corner on Big Thunder and coming down the hill on Expedition Everest.

It was one of the best trips I ever took to Disney!

satchel01
11-13-2009, 12:30 AM
I apologize if I missed that this was stated already: Make sure you get your h1n1 and seasonal flu shots first...and make sure you do at least 2 weeks before your trip too so you have the full benefit from them. That's if you haven't done that already :).

Disney Doll
11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I found out I was pregnant with my 1st while in WDW. I didn't have any morning sickness with that pregnancy so besides being a little more tired than usual it was a pretty normal trip. I just returned from a trip in my 2nd trimester and it was fine. It was late September/early October and with all the pregnancy hormones I constantly felt hot, but that won't be an issue in December.

I had horrible morning sickness during my 1st trimester with this pregnancy so I would not have been a happy camper at WDW at week 10. However, snacking throughout the day does help. Never ever let your stomach be empty. I tried all sorts of ginger remedies and those didn't work for me. I also tried pressure point bands for your wrists and those were useless too. Sour candies did help some and they make sour preggo pops that are pretty tasty. You could also ask your doctor about vitamin B6. I've heard that B6 helps some people with pregnancy nausea.

Bellewannabe
11-14-2009, 12:19 AM
I did July at 6 months pregnant with an 18 month old in tow. I would NOT recommend this. I found out I was pregnant with my second while I was there and my last I found out having just returned from the Food and Wine Festival. The bottom line is do what works at home. Rest when you need, drink enough and listen to what your body is telling you.

jonahbear2006
11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
well, i appreciate all the ideas and thoughts. So far, the nausea is controlling my life, so i hope it slows down before then. Usually Im packed and have a theme park itinerary by now. I can see there are several rides I will have to avoid because they will make me feel sick..I agree with the Toy story mania ride and The teacups are definitely out! I just hope I don't get to Animal kingdom and want something you can only get at Magic Kingdom or get to Hollywood and want something at Epcot for lunch...by the time i get there it wont sound good anymore. lol.

Insanity Clause
11-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I didn't go in my first, I was in my second when I went but the morning sickness is usually getting better by about 10 weeks. That being said everyone is different in that department. Just be sure to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.

Belle_0717
11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
We just got back from WDW. I am in my 2nd tri (26 weeks). With this family trip, I had higher hopes for myself. I was able to walk around with no problems. I did sit here and there. It was hard to watch the Christmas parade standing but I stuck it out.

I tended to nap in the afternoon when we got back. It was a God-send that we stayed at BLT at the Contemporary and we mainly visited MK & EPCOT.

I found my feet swelled on the plane down and slightly during the 5 days. But on the flight home, OMG they were huge - it's been 24 hours and they are getting better.

I didn't ride anything that had a warning. I did find it uncomfortable sitting in the boats for IASW. I did ride Pirates twice - love that Jack Sparrow.

Enjoy the trip!

jonahbear2006
11-18-2009, 04:14 PM
hmm, thats a thought. I think ill take my fold up travel beach blanket to sit on. Im already having ligament pain and back aches; Im uncomfortable sitting in the drs office waiting but this is my 5th pregnancy in 9 years. I just hope the 17 hr drive down doesnt kill me before I even get there.