PDA

View Full Version : Disney World vs. Disneyland in August

Dsnygirl
11-11-2009, 01:05 PM
So, I wasn't sure where to put this question, as it doesn't really fit into the vacation planning sections of Disney World or Disneyland!!

We've been to Disney World 3x's now with our girls, and have been considering a trip to California next. Not just for D'land, but to also head to San Diego and do the Wild Animal Park, Sea World and hit some beaches. We're not all that interested in Univ. Studios, but would probably go, as getting the Southern Cal City Pass, which includes US, is cheaper than any other ticket set.

My DH and I got engaged in SD, so have always wanted to head back, and are considering next August.

I've priced out both options (D'world/D'land) for 11 nights at D'world (4 at CBR, 7 at AKL @ anticipated AP rates) or 10 nights in Anaheim/SDiego. I've actually found the pricing, even needing a car in Calif., to be almost the same. (Although, to be honest, Calif. is more of a "guesstimate" for me, as I'm not as familiar w/ the pricing there as I am w/ WDW, and we'd have to choose b/w a LOT more hotel options than already knowing what we want at WDW. But I've gone over about 10 hotels b/w the "good neighbor" hotels in Anaheim and ones near the zoo in SD for August, and have found decent prices... just probably not as nice as being on property in WDW)

For folks who have been to both places, esp. at this time of year -- what are your opinions?? I know both places would be warm, although Calif. would be less humid and prob. more comfortable... and I like the idea of hitting the beaches a few times. But we're so comfortable and familiar w/ WDW that it's like coming home for us. (Although we've only been w/ the girls 3x's, my DH and I have been there 7 or 8 times total)

I'd love to hear people's opinions and any/all input as to both spots...

:thanks:

Ms. Mode
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I've been to both but not in August and it's been several years since I went to DL, but I do know that it's much smaller than WDW, the air quality is ALOT less (if that matters to you) and the people are not so nice in CA as they are in FL.

Now, I did visit the Monterey coast area in 2007 and it was truelly beautiful and the temps stay at 60 to 70 year round, there is also a Six Flags that has some great coasters and low crowds.

For me, the diversity of WDW is what keeps bring me back...good luck with your decision:)

Joannelet
11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
In March 2008 my hubby and I did Disneyland California for the first time. We did the So Cal City Pass as well. Stayed first in Disneyland and then drove down to see L.A. We did Universal (since we had the ticket included in the package). Then drove to San Diego. We too are like you and always choose WDW but I am a huge Walt Disney fan and I wanted to walk into his original park. It was soo nostalgic for me I can't even explain. (but Walt also gave me the biggest surprise of our life while we were there...I found out I was pregnant. :) We had been trying for many years and to find out there was so special to me :) It was like Walt had to get me to his "home" to tell me the good news :)
With that being said I would definitely choose Disneyland, CA if you can do it. I think its a great trip for any family to do. San Diego was great too and the So Cal City Pass is such a great deal!!! You cannot go wrong with that!!!
I'm sorry I wasn't there in August so I am unable to tell you about the weather. We had hot and cold weather when we were there....there happened to be some sort of cold front in during part of our stay. (very unusual we were told).
Good luck in your decision!! I think either way you cannot go wrong!! :)

Joannelet
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Also, I don't know your girls ages but there is also Legoland and Knotts Berry that I've heard rave reviews about...but they aren't included in the pass.

NJGIRL
11-11-2009, 03:17 PM
IMO try something different. Most kids appreciate traveling to places they have never been before and seeing different things. My sons teachers are always amazed at how many different places he has been to and how much he has learned from traveling.

DVC2004
11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
We love Disneyland! Although I would caution you that 11 days isa really long time. There are only the 2 parks and not as much recreation as WDW. We usually go for 5 nights and hit Disneyland for 3 or 4 days and do other things the other 2 or 3. San Diego is great- about 2 hours south- has SeaWorld, and the San Diego Wild Animal Park as mentioned and nice beaches. There is Legoland Park towards that area, then of course there is LA and Hollywood. Catalina Island is nice too- just off the coast and you can take a ferry at Long Beach (close to Anaheim). I also recommend the Southern California CIty Pass which has good deals on many major attractions. My kids loved Holllywood oddly enough- loved Graumen's Theater and all the handprints. There's also Disney's El Capitain Theater right over there.

I don't know about the weather but DL is pretty crowded in the summer and has alot of locals coming. Weekends are extremely busy. I would suggest hitting the Disney parks on the weekdays if possible. We really like it- try it! We have stayed onsite at Grand Cal (awesome) and DL Hotel (also nice)! DL has some great attractions- Indiana Jones is awesome! Even the rides that are the same really aren't- it's fun to compare and to notice the subtle and some not-so-subtle differnces. Go! You can always go back to WDW the next year.

I LoveJack
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I have been to both parks in the month of August. Swore I would never do DL again in the first part of August. It was sooo crowded it was like hearding cattle. WDW is hotter with being more humid, but at least you are not packed in as much. Also I believe that the Magic Kingdom is open later that DL if you are staying on property for the extra hours. That always helps in Summer.

Dsnygirl
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
I have been to both parks in the month of August. Swore I would never do DL again in the first part of August. It was sooo crowded it was like hearding cattle.
That is good to know... we are thinking more the end of August, between the 18th and 28th. I'm hoping some of the schools are back in session by then?? :fingers: Still seems to be historically hot, but not as humid, I'm told. Again -- :fingers:

We would definitely only be doing DL/CA for 3 or 4 days, the rest would be beaching it and heading to San Diego. We definitely want to do either the zoo or the wild animal park, Sea World and Horton Plaza. Catalina Island sounds neat, too!! The SoCal City Pass sounds like the way to go -- we may not be Universal Folk, but my girls would probably like it, and I'm sure we'd get a kick out of it, too, and seeing as it's basically "free" w/ the pass, why not?? :thumbsup:

I actually wish we could go for even longer and be able to get up to Monterey and Carmel... but then, I'd have to pry my DH away from Pebble Beach, too... :golf:

Mickey'sGirl
11-12-2009, 08:37 AM
We've done both in August, and DL is not nearly as humid as WDW in my opinion (I have also done both in September, April and June and find this to be the case).

I agree with ILoveJack and DVC2004, that the crowds at Disneyland were incredible (because it's a local day park, as well as a vacation destination), but they were not over at California Adventure (which we LOVED).

MNNHFLTX
11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
I have done both parks in the month of August. Now, I am a huge WDW fan (as is evident by the fact that I am on staff at Icot!) but I strongly encourage you to go the Disneyland route this summer. Disney World is, well--a world, but Disneyland is so much more intimate and nostalgic. Everything is within walking distance--no buses necessary. And the detail is incredible. Disneyland also has some entertainment features not available at WDW. At the Golden Horseshoe Saloon, for example, you will find a tremendously popular group performing, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. This type of live entertainment is a dying breed at WDW, but continues on at Disneyland. And, of course, you have different rides or versions of rides to choose from at Disneyland. The Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland is superior to the one at WDW, ditto for Space Mountain. And you'll be able to experience the Indiana Jones ride and the original version of the Tiki Room.

We also spent some time in San Diego when we were in Southern California and really enjoyed the zoo there. We also spent an afternoon at the USS Midway and a couple of days at the glorious beaches there. The water is chilly but just watching the surfers is entertainment in and of itself.

Disneyland is typically quite hot during the month of August, but not as humid as it is in Florida (we lived in Florida for over 12 years, so we know humid!) Yes, the crowds are a bit daunting, especially in infamous bottleneck areas, like Indiana Jones, but go early in the day and late in the evening and it will be manageable.

Have fun planning your next summer vacation!

Disney4us2
11-17-2009, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE=Ms. Mode;1983307]Well, I've been to both but not in August and it's been several years since I went to DL, but I do know that it's much smaller than WDW, the air quality is ALOT less (if that matters to you) and the people are not so nice in CA as they are in FL.

Hey.... I am from CA and I am nice:D

Disney4us2
11-17-2009, 02:13 AM
I have been to WDW in July.... probably just as hot and humid as August.

Being a Disneyland passholder, I love going in August. It is hot... but a dry heat. The crowds are down a bit, especially the end of August.

I bring a swim suit for my DD and let her run around in the puddle park at Bugs land in DCA.

Both Disneyland and WDW have a lot to offer. The Disneyland Resort is much smaller and you can walk between the two parks. The good neighbor hotels are good and can range from inexpensive to expensive. It just depends on what you are looking for.

I love WDW... but Disneyland is my home. I love walking down Main Street knowing that Walt walked the same street. There are a lot of differences in Disneyland from the Magic Kingdom. DL has the Matterhorn bobsleds, Finding Nemo Submarines, the original version of the Enchanted Tiki Room (Dole whips are at the Tiki Room), as well as Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toads Wild Ride. DCA had a bugs land, Monsters INC, The Aladdin stage show, California Screamin, Soarin over California, and a whole lot more.

As much as we love Disneyland... I am just biding my time to return to WDW... I like it because it is different from what we experience all the time.

You can PM me if you want more info, I would be glad to help out.:mickey:

RedSoxFan
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
We went to DL in July 2004. I remember it being busy and hot. But we loved it (I went there a lot as a kid). DH & I talk about going back there again in the next few years and to explore more of California. I think your girls would love seeing the original park and I loved DCA which I know a lot of people do not. Knotts Berry Farm is also a great place to visit too. And you could always stay inside the park the 3/4 days you are actually going to DL and then move to a good neighbor hotel for the rest of your trip.

Melanie
11-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Go to Disneyland and explore Southern California. You won't be sorry! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Come to California! Definitely.

I visit DLR all year round (I live 15 min away). I have lived in THIS location for over 5 years, so I'm pretty well versed on the weather. August CAN be very hot, but this past year it actually was quite mild. Highs were typically in the upper 70's-mid 80's. There were a FEW days in the 90's, but nothing like the last several years. This ENTIRE year, so far, has been quite cool. The good thing about the summer heat at DLR is, when you sweat, it actually EVAPORATES! :D It's much more manageable. I'd argue that So. Cal suffers from "extreme sun", which gives you a feeling like you're under some giant magnifying glass, and the heat is cooking you. Fortunately, it's only during the high part of the day (10am-3pm), and once the sun starts to get lower in the sky, temps typically come down into the 60's, even in August, making for cool nights and mornings.

My recommendation to you is to plan for 4-5 days at DLR. Stay onsite if possible. Biggest reason for this is the availability of (awesome) pools for midday swimming when it's just too hot and crowded to hit the parks. Plus, you will get morning EMH benefits. I would spend the extra money for the Grand Calfornian. It's wonderful! And, the pool area alone is worth the money. You can go "budget" when you leave Anaheim and stay in the San Diego area, where there is a lot of nice hotels for cheap prices. Be aware that Wild Animal park is NOT near the zoo...it's in Escondido, which is about 45 min northeast of the zoo in Downtown San Diego. A good place to stay would actually be Carlsbad, if you want to visit both Wild Animal park and downtown San Diego (Carlsbad is approx. 25 miles north of downtown). Also, Legoland is in Carlsbad, if you want to visit there. For a beach trip, I'd recommend Newport Beach in Orange County (specifcally, Corona del Mar State Beach...our family's favorite!). It's an easy drive from DLR. By August, the water is warm enough to dip into (briefly!). That is NOT a surf beach, so it's actually good for kids. Sand is like powder. And the view is gorgeous!

If you can swing a trip out to CA, you won't regret it. However, beware that DLR is MORE expensive than WDW, in terms of food especially. CS meals average $1-3 more than their WDW counterparts. Snacks, drinks, and frozen novelties are more expensive as well. The hotels at DLR are generally priced pretty high in August (not the same "seasons" structure as WDW). Parks are crowded, but if it makes you feel better, when we stay on property, we do so towards the end of August. This past year, we spent 3 nights at the GC from Aug 29-Sept 2. It was glorious!

Oh, and have to TOTALLY disagree that the the people in CA aren't "as nice". I'd argue the opposite, in fact. I just visited WDW this past April (and I go every other year, on average). Overall, I find the DLR CM's to be of a much higher caliber overall. CA in general has a very laid back, friendly vibe. That's why I love it so much!

Hammer
11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Now, I have made it pretty well known that I was not that bowled over by Disneyland for either of my trips out there. Don't get me wrong, I liked it well enough. Yes, Space Mountain and Pirates are better, and I enjoyed the Matterhorn, but not enough to continually fly 3,000 miles to visit. I plan to give Disneyland a 3rd chance at some point (which is unheard of for me).

With all that said, I still think you should take your family out to Disneyland and Southern California at least once (though I enjoy San Francisco and the Wine Country the best out of all the places I've visited in California). I am a firm believer that kids should see as much of this countries (and foreign countries as well) to make them more culturally well rounded.

Regarding the CMs, I'm with the poster where they were not as nice in DL. My personal experience, though, and your mileage may vary.

Disney4us2
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Regarding the CMs, I'm with the poster where they were not as nice in DL. My personal experience, though, and your mileage may vary.

I find the CM at DL very friendly. Being an AP, I have actually made friends there. They inspired me to become a CM at Disneyland. Which I did, working in Walt Disney Travel. I have found the CM's very helpful and really go out of their way to make the magic at Disneyland.

Again that was your experience. Mine have always been positive.:mickey:

SoaringEpcot
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
We were at DL the last week of August in 2008, and the weather was great. One day was in the low 80's, mostly in the 70's, but the mornings and evenings were cool enough to need a light jacket. We did not get to experience alot of Southern Cal. but we definatelly plan on going back and spending more time there. We really enjoyed it.

braindew
01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
The timing of D23 Expo may influence your trip plans:secret:
I think it will be in Augist this year (due to no availability at the Anaheim Conv Center in Sept.)
We just went for the 1st time to DL at the Expo last year. All park references aside...my biggest impression was it was COLD at night. C'mon Sept. and we were looking for hot chocolate at night...we prefer the tropical climates where you can wear shorts (even at night). No rain was pleasant...maybe thats the tradeoff. In genaral, MK is our families third favorite park...so DL wasn't that big of a deal. I will say that Sat at DL was similar to July 4th at MK for us...and the "locals" seemed more rough (felt like I was in some sort of gang movie). Forcing everyone to walk through DD at DL at park closure is a travesty...plus it was a bit unnerving with the "locals" all about. This isn't a slam on DL...I don't even like DD at DW at night due to the "locals" and crime history. I prefer hopping on a bus any day. Even though we stayed at Disneyland Hotel...we didn't get that total "immersion" feel you get with DW.

DL=Cold and creepy:scared:
DW=Warm and safe:vacation:

kathiep
01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for asking this question! We've never been to DL and after 5 consecutive years of DW, we've gone from only joking about trying DL to seriously considering it. Now I have to really start investigating and planning. Thanks for all the helpful comments.