PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break

cjnettles10
11-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Here is the thing, my husband is a teacher, and I am an accountant that can't take off in the summer due to Fiscal Year End. Therefore, we are looking at going to DW during Spring Break, which for my husband falls the week after Easter this year. My son is also leaving for the Army sometime between March and June and our vacation times will be spent to visit him more so this could be our last big vacation for a while. I know it is crowded this time of the year, but how much does staying on property and taking advantage of EMH, make a difference in doing everything you want to do. We would be there for 6 nights, 7 days. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carol:mickey:

BigRedDad
11-11-2009, 01:06 PM
It is going to be crowded, heavily. The park hours are extended for this time. However, it does not make up for the amount of down time waiting in lines and dealing with crowds. The park hours are extended immensely to allow the people there to do everything they want.

My DW is a teacher as well and the counties stupidly schedule Spring Break with Easter almost every year. It kills any chance for a vacation. We chose to go early March instead (I am hoping some of the sites I have read are accurate with crowd levels then). I will be able to do everything I want between 9AM and 8PM (in general) vs do most of what I want between 7AM and 2AM.

bruin1344
11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Here is the thing, my husband is a teacher, and I am an accountant that can't take off in the summer due to Fiscal Year End. Therefore, we are looking at going to DW during Spring Break, which for my husband falls the week after Easter this year. My son is also leaving for the Army sometime between March and June and our vacation times will be spent to visit him more so this could be our last big vacation for a while. I know it is crowded this time of the year, but how much does staying on property and taking advantage of EMH, make a difference in doing everything you want to do. We would be there for 6 nights, 7 days. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Carol:mickey:

I am in the same boat, my friend is a teacher and im an accountant. I think we are going the same week as you. We chose to go day after tax season ends for a week since that is when his vacation week begins. I know MA schools have that week off but not sure about rest of country so it may not be too crowded.

MY tip is avoid EMH AM days in any parks if you dont use the EMH. Also, MK is the only EMH PM worthwhile since the other parks get very crowded and the lines dont die down. MK has enough attractions open.

Buddy08
11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
We went in 2008 over spring break. It is alot cooler(had to buy a jacket) so that is a big plus. Yes, it is crowded but we did pretty well maneuvering our way through the crowds and actually did alot more than when we go in the summer because you don't have the heat beating you down. If that is the most convenient time for you to go I think you can manage just fine. :thumbsup:

MOJoe
11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
If i am reading between the lines correctly, you have either stayed offsite before, or are considering it for Spring Break.
So to answer; the benefit of being a resort guest is huge. Being onsite gives you an edge in many ways that all add up to extra convenience and time savings. And going during such a busy time, any edge you can get will help.
Staying onsite gets you to the parks quickly, and EMH gives you more time there. While i wouldn't consider staying offsite again, many, many do. But during a peak time like Spring Break, the benefits of being a resort guest become much more apparent. For instance, last year at that time MK and DHS both filled to capacity and closed to offsite guests. A rare occurrance, to be sure, but you get the point.

Disneyfirsttimer
11-12-2009, 11:20 AM
We visited both during Spring Break (left for WDW day after Easter) and during October. We had heard Oct was a slower time.

The spring break trip was our first time ever. We had a much better time during spring break. It was crowded, but the parks were open later and more busses were running, etc. In Oct, we still found it to be crowded, but the parks were not open that late and the busses were very crowded.

Our next trip is scheduled for the week before Easter. We are getting home the day before. We are going during the kid's break so we don't have to take them out of school. My son is in 5th and my sister's oldest is in 7th. We feel too much to miss at that age.

Good luck.

Karyn

GrandFlo
11-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Given how crowded this time of year is, I would say staying on property is worth it. You have the option of using Disney transportation and EMH.

I used to be one of those people who siad "I would never go to Disney during the crowded times"......well DS got older and it became much harder to take hime out of middle school (he would miss too much). So we either go February or Spring Break. Yes it is crowded, but we have always been able to do what we wanted and have always had a great time.

As far as EMH, our family now has a new strategy, especially for MK. If the park closes at 11PM and will stay open til 2AM for EMH, we now go to the MK at 9 or 10 PM. We have always been able to do our favorites usually more than once, the later it gets.

If you go down expecting Disney to be crowded and put some planning into it you will have a great time despite the crowds.