PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Some news from WDW on Space Mountain!

Tygger7
11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey everyone! I was just browsing on the DisneyParks blog, and they just posted some info about the "new" Space Mountain! There are a couple of pics and some tidbits about what to expect. :mickey:

goofyskier
11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Just checked and the two pictures that are posted look pretty cool. I'll have to reserve final judgement until I ride it in January. Crossing my fingers for some on-ride audio.

SBETigg
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm wondering how games in the queue would work. Sometimes, the line moves right through there and there's really no time to stop. Will there be a fear of losing your place in line if you're playing? Would you expect people to move around you if you're playing or will this be a source of contention. It doesn't look quite like the games in the Soarin' queue, where the whole line is stopped in the same area at the same time. So, I'm curious to see how that all works out.

lockedoutlogic
11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Just checked and the two pictures that are posted look pretty cool. I'll have to reserve final judgement until I ride it in January. Crossing my fingers for some on-ride audio.

crossing your fingers?

there isn't any....that has been known for sometime....it would require new tracks and new trains....which they cut out of the budget

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-11-2009, 05:56 AM
^ Pretty much this.

If the most we get out of this is a pretty new queue I'll be questioning if the ride was just sitting there vacant for the majority of the refurbishment period.

MinnieMommie
11-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the news. While many were hoping for more extensive changes (I for one was looking forward to audio improvements), any changes toward improvement are welcome and I can't wait till it is open again. :mickey:

Buttercup
11-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm going to miss those cool 3D spacey things in the tunnel. Looks like they ripped them out for the video games. Maybe they're still along the Fast Pass lineup. :confused:

It seems hard to believe that the ride was closed from April until November to put in some new neon lights and some video games? Oh, and possibly a fountain out front... my guess is they aren't telling us everything yet.

goofyskier
11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
crossing your fingers?

there isn't any....that has been known for sometime....it would require new tracks and new trains....which they cut out of the budget

Maybe theres somelight weight Bose speakers behind the seat. :D

A Big Kid
11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
As long as they removed the random strips of duct tape that was holding the place together, I'll be staisfied.

lockedoutlogic
11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm going to miss those cool 3D spacey things in the tunnel. Looks like they ripped them out for the video games. Maybe they're still along the Fast Pass lineup. :confused:

It seems hard to believe that the ride was closed from April until November to put in some new neon lights and some video games? Oh, and possibly a fountain out front... my guess is they aren't telling us everything yet.

the more we hear about this "exciting" rehab....the more i think that the ride's mechanical safety might have been in question prior to shutdown....

The "additions" are minimal.....something that could have been done in far less that six months.....
But knowing disney - they were doing something under that dome - which leads me to believe that 90% of the work was on mechanical repairs/ replacements...

That is questionable - in my opinion - it seems to me that the ride system (which is undergoing only repairs and replacement - no new elements) should have been addressed far sooner....but that's just what it seems from this cheap seat in the Upper Deck

GothMickey
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM

This is going to be a planter, not a fountain, I believe.

There really doesn't seem like much to be excited over, imo. So, we have some Soarin neon lights, new fence, and new load gates in the queue. Some portions of the track replaced. No on board audio. Maybe new projectors and better projections. Oh and it may be darker. The lift area is still noisey, and the jury is out as to whether the ride will be smooth or neck-jarring rough. Locked, I agree with you. This is "mechanical" and not a make over like people want to believe.