PDA

View Full Version : A rant about negative reviews...

mom2morgan
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
written by people who obviously had no clue where they were going! I find posters on this site to be smart and savvy and generally not make these kinds of comments. But I've looked elsewhere for Disney dining reviews and am often surprised by the people who complain about something that's really intrinsic to the restaurant. Some of my favourites - Cinderella's table being a disappointment for a romantic dinner for two(!)...Whispering Canyon being too noisy...Akershus having "weird ethnic food" (my Danish husband LOVES that restaurant, by the way)....and my personal favourite....Characters at Chef Mickey's continually interrupting a meal! I think in all cases the people might have been happier if they'd done some basic research about where they were going. Anyone else heard this kind of thing?

Seasonscraps
11-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I see both sides of it. Like you said some things are just intrinsic to the restaurant, especially the menu. Disney is usually pretty good about special orders so there's an easy remedy there. Or they could have left.

Other things can be annoying - they should know characters are at the meals but the characters are usually pretty aware of people that do not want to be interupted and just pass by with a wave.

But some things are about perspective - I have to admit I was completely unprepared for WCC. I read lots of reviews and knew it was rowdy but for me it was so bad I could not enjoy my meal the first time we ate there. Meanwhile, a lot of people think it's great and enjoy all the antics.

mom2morgan
11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I see both sides of it. Like you said some things are just intrinsic to the restaurant, especially the menu. Disney is usually pretty good about special orders so there's an easy remedy there. Or they could have left.

Other things can be annoying - they should know characters are at the meals but the characters are usually pretty aware of people that do not want to be interupted and just pass by with a wave.

But some things are about perspective - I have to admit I was completely unprepared for WCC. I read lots of reviews and knew it was rowdy but for me it was so bad I could not enjoy my meal the first time we ate there. Meanwhile, a lot of people think it's great and enjoy all the antics.

that makes sense, though. I've never been to WCC and although I kind of want to try it, I'm a little worried it would be really overwhelming! But it is one thing to go in with a general idea and then be disappointed because it wasn't all that you hoped - and another to be so totally mistaken that you thought it might be a quiet, cozy little place to unwind! :-)

SBETigg
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I've seen a lot of people actually recommending Cinderella's Royal Table for romantic dinners and it always blows my mind. It's not a place I would go for a romantic meal. But, some people honestly do find it romantic. Everything is subjective, and thus, all kinds of reactions and reviews. I try to consider that a review is only one person's opinion, and it might not match my own experience or feelings. Positive reviews might encourage me to try one restaurant over another, but I try not to let negative reviews sway me. I've loved restaurants that have gotten bad reviews and hated some that have glowing reviews.

But of course, you're talking about those masterful observations that people might have considered before choosing a restaurant, and I agree. If you generally hate the flavors in Greek food, don't choose Kouzzina and complain about the spices later, for example. On the other hand, I love it when people are pleasantly surprised, as in, "I thought I didn't like Greek food, but Kouzzina was amazing!"

GrandFlo
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Some of my favourites - Cinderella's table being a disappointment for a romantic dinner for two(!)...Whispering Canyon being too noisy...Akershus having "weird ethnic food" (my Danish husband LOVES that restaurant, by the way)....and my personal favourite....Characters at Chef Mickey's continually interrupting a meal! I think in all cases the people might have been happier if they'd done some basic research about where they were going. Anyone else heard this kind of thing?

Your post made me laugh. I love hearing these kinds of complaints. It reminds of the time a woman was complaing at the Haunted Mansion that the CMs were "not too friendly".

TheRustyScupper
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
But I've looked elsewhere for Disney dining reviews and am often surprised by the people who complain about something that's really intrinsic to the restaurant.

1) I think one needs to look at the context.
2) And, the way the original question was asked.
3) People do want answers, so having a full opinion is necessary.
4) Sometimes, those answers don't always show totally positive.
5) After all, having all the pro's and con's is a good idea.
6) Plus, one might say that those questions are part of the guest's research.
7) After all is said and done, the more personal opinions the better.

6) Example:
. . . someone wants romance and asks about CRT
. . . CRT is noisy and could have kids running around
. . . that could be considered anti-romance to many folks

. . . akershus has "weird ethnic food"
. . . if you are not European,the food could be surprising and a turn-off
. . . especially for picky adults or picky kids

1DisneyNut
11-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Your post made me laugh. I love hearing these kinds of complaints. It reminds of the time a woman was complaing at the Haunted Mansion that the CMs were "not too friendly".

I have witnessed people talking about the CM's there too and I explained they were acting and its part of the total experience of the ride. They just didn't realize that was the case until it was explained to them and then they got it and laughed. Part of my enjoyment at HM is trying to catch the CM's off guard and get a smile out of them by flipping it over on them. I will walk up and ask one of them if the ride is "Dead" ahead or something of that nature. The kids love it when I do that. lol

mom2morgan
11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I have witnessed people talking about the CM's there too and I explained they were acting and its part of the total experience of the ride. They just didn't realize that was the case until it was explained to them and then they got it and laughed. Part of my enjoyment at HM is trying to catch the CM's off guard and get a smile out of them by flipping it over on them. I will walk up and ask one of them if the ride is "Dead" ahead or something of that nature. The kids love it when I do that. lol

LOL! I guess a lot of adults have lost practice with immersing themselves in the make-believe.