PDA

View Full Version : Bay Lake Tower - Recent reviews?

disney1122
11-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I haven't seen many recent reviews for BLT...we will be there in June 2010....

Just curious if its still getting great reviews...

Thanks!

OogieBoogieMan
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I was there in September for a couple of nights. I was alone and was on personal business and figured since I could get the reservation easily I would check it out. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Granted I didn't have time to check out the pool, which looks wonderful, but I ran in to enough issues to make me think twice. The studio I stayed in was quite small, I found it tough to use the desk even just for my laptop. I also didn't like, even though I didn't use it, that the second bed was a fold out couch. I wouldn't want to be dealing with that every day.

I have to say the lack of a front desk was annoying as well. I went straight to BLT, not knowing any better, and had to haul everything over to the Contemporary to check-in. Valet parking is also at the Contemporary, which completely negates the value in my opinion. I didn't see any quick service food options at BLT and when I wanted to use the health club, and I shouldn't have been shocked at this point, I need to once again hike over to the Contemporary.

I know many people love this resort so don't let my issues change your opinion, but I just found that I was going to the Contemporary more time than not to get what I need and I couldn't be bothered. Add in what I consider to be smallish rooms and I don't fell the need to go back any time soon.

JohnnyNovo
11-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Hope the 2BR are better. Ill be there in Jan and let you know. I think with 2BR, 3BA and 1187sqft, it should be better.

pox24
11-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Stayed there in Sept for 3 nights. Wife and I had 14th floor on Bay Lake. The studio was great. Top of the world was awesome. Only negative is why the sink is in a seperate room from bathroom. We loved it and can't wait to go back. :thumbsup:

diz_girl
11-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Just to comment on OogieBoogieMan's comments.

First, he probably did not know that BLT is basically a wing of the CR, just like the old North Wing was. It is called Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, and not Bay Lake Resort. In this case, BLT is DVC timeshares. If you were staying at the VWL, which is also in a separate building, you would still have to check in at the main resort building. The difference with BLT is that it is just a more prominent wing. So like the south wing of the CR, there is no QS restaurant and no health club, etc., and you have to trudge to the main tower. But BLT has pool bar and a rooftop lounge.

Second, as for the room size, pretty much all other DVC studios have a bed and a sleep sofa, and BLT is no different. What is different is that the room is quite small, actually the smallest studio of all DVC resorts and smaller than any standard room at any Deluxe resort at WDW. It is only slightly larger than a room at a Mod. At VWL the studio is slightly larger than a standard WL room. At BLT, the studio is significantly smaller than a standard CR room, by about 100 sq ft. I think that the designers blew this one. I don't know if they were pressured to cram as many units into the tower (something like people won't care about the size since they're this close to the MK) or that the curved shape of the building created design difficulties, but what's done is done.

I recently bought into BLT, but I don't plan to ever stay in a studio. And I've only ever stayed in one of the wings when I've stayed at the CR, so the hike to the main tower is no biggie for me.

There will probably be people to come along who have stayed there.