PDA

View Full Version : From the Middle/East side of Canada/US to Australia - how to...

scooterca42
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Planning a trip to visit my sister in Australia. Would you -

1) Fly as direct as possible - push through and get there as soon as you can.

2) Fly to the West Coast or to Hawaii and stop over a day or so, then continue

This question is for both going down and comign back. I've heard coming back is worst when it comes to jet lag.

Any ideas?

NJGIRL
11-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Just my opinion but I would do the stop over for a couple of days if you have the time and money for two reasons.

First, I believe in seeing as much of this world as I possibly can. I think it is always fun to see places I have never been to before.

That being said.... Second, I dislike being on a plane so with a flight that is that long I would like to break up the time alittle.

Try to get seats that turn into "beds" if you can. I think they are in business class. I have heard this is the best way to get to Australia.

Mickey'sGirl
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Planning a trip to visit my sister in Australia. Would you -

1) Fly as direct as possible - push through and get there as soon as you can.

My sister flew as directly as she could from Toronto via Vancouver (outbound) and LA (inbound). She had a couple of hours to kill during each stop over, and said that she would have hated to drag the travel time out any more than that. I think I would want to do it the same way.

SBETigg
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
My son flew to Australia from Massachusetts (Logan). He was with a group, and they stopped for several hours in Los Angeles on both trips. There's also the time changes to deal with and factor in, and what that can do to your body. I think it would have been worse to stop for a few days somewhere and have to do it all again.

DisneyKim22
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Having done the trip to Australia - starting from Chicago - I say go as directly as you can. If you want to break the trip up to see more locations, do it on the way out there, but I wouldn't try it on the way home. Yes, it is a very long flight, but when we came back and had the 2 hour layover in L.A., I was not looking forward to getting off and on the plane again. I don't usually experience jet lag, but I did that time. It's best to get home and recover.

Have a WONDERFUL time!!! That trip was so amazing, I hope that I can go back again someday. It was worth EVERY SINGLE penny and more!

NotaGeek
11-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Try to get seats that turn into "beds" if you can. I think they are in business class. I have heard this is the best way to get to Australia.
Business class to Australia will run you between $8000 - $12,000USD round trip ... so that might not be an option.

Why not take 2 days on the outboud and route yourself through LA? You can see Disneyland! It's an easy side trip and will let you get some energy back before the long 14 hour or so flight to OZ.

The hard jet lag will be on the return ... so its best to just fly straight through ... stop in Vancouver or in LAX with a few hours to connect back to Canada ...

You can do it and it will be totally worth it! :plane:

ILoveLegos
11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I've flown from my "home" central NJ to my "homeland" Hawaii many times both straight through and stopping over in California. I prefer the straight through flights personally because I want to get there ASAP! Especially on the return trip home - uninterupted sleep is best for me. zzzZZZZ:secret:! So I'm doing the direct flight thing on my upcomming trip to Japan :thumbsup:and my future trip to Australia :number1:!

I must add that I love flying very, very much :cloud9: and I don't mind coach at all. (I have kinda short legs, :blush: hehehe)!

NJGIRL
11-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Business class to Australia will run you between $8000 - $12,000USD round trip ... so that might not be an option.:

:eyes: Wow that hurts! I had no idea. The people I know that went that way never told me the cost.