PDA

View Full Version : Expiration Date on Hand Sanitizers?

Tinkerfreak
11-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I had bought some bottles of hand sanitizer a few months ago at Big Lots and did not notice that they had an expiration date on them for back in 2007.:mad: I did no even know that the stuff could expire. Does anyone know if it will still work? It has not been opened and was in a cool dark closet. I would hate to use it if it does not work. I'm not to happy with Big Lots either, I can understand a little expired but come on people 2007? I don't usually shop there and I don't think I will be again!

John
11-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't chance it - not worth it. Expiration dates are usually there for a reason. Did you try returning it?

Tinkerfreak
11-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't chance it - not worth it. Expiration dates are usually there for a reason. Did you try returning it?

I would but I bought it a few months ago and I no longer have the receipts. I will however make sure to stop by there the next time I am in that area and let them know about it. I will be sure to check any others that are there and if they are expired I will bring them right to the service desk and let them know about it.
I am going to go to Target later and just pick up some new stuff (being sure to check expiration dates) just to be safe. Like you said I don't feel comfortable chancing it.

Joannelet
11-05-2009, 02:15 PM
omg that is awful!!
Definitely let them know that.
I wouldn't chance it either if I were you. wow I can't believe the expiration was 2007!

MNNHFLTX
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Are you sure that that's the expiration date and not the manufacturing date? Typically the alcohol-based hand sanitizers are good for three years from the date of manufacture (and probably longer, but of course it's not guaranteed).

DizNee143
11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Are you sure that that's the expiration date and not the manufacturing date? Typically the alcohol-based hand sanitizers are good for three years from the date of manufacture (and probably longer, but of course it's not guaranteed).

just looked at my bottle of germ-x i have..
and those to dates are right next to each other..and sure enough one is 2007 and the other one says 2011..

but i really wouldnt be surprised about the stuff from big lots being expired..thats how they can sell stuff so cheap..i never would of though to look for an experation on hand sanitizer though..now ill always be looking!!

SBETigg
11-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Over time, the alcohol evaporates and what's left is just the gel. You can tell by the smell and texture if the product is off somehow. It will be thicker and you won't smell the alcohol smell. If they were unopened, they would last longer, and if the consistency is still the same as new, you're probably fine to use it. If it seems thicker and more gel-like than usual, probably chuck it and buy new.

sportsguy2315
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Looking at my bottle as well, February 2009 manufacture date, February 2012 expiration date.

crazypoohbear
11-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I had no idea!
Thanks for the FYI!
I will have to check my bottles out.
My DS has the flu now ( we think, he's had a fever, cough and one day of chills but 3 days of low grade fever)

Tinkerfreak
11-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I just double checked the bottles and they are definately expired. The production date is on there also but that says 2005! I still plan to take them back and show them. Who knew? I guess I will be checking everything for expiration dates.
The op about the alcohol evaporating makes sense.

brownie
11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Everything loses its effectiveness over time. I imagine that the manufacturers are conservative with the dates. It may still be good past the date but 2 years past is probably too long.

ElenitaB
11-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Everything loses its effectiveness over time.
Including me! :old: :blush:

Seriously though... thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check our bottles (I have a few that I've bought in past years "just in case") to make sure they're still good.

garymacd
11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Here's a bit of information many have never heard.

Check the alcohol content of your hand sanitizer. It MUST be a minimum of 70% total alcohol by volume to be effective. If it isn't, all you're doing is getting the germs drunk and making them mad!

Another good choice in hand sanitizers is one that uses benzalconium chloride. It doesn't need 70% alcohol to kill the germs, and it doesn't dry your hands out. You can get it in a squeeze bottle and in some places, as a handi-wipe.