PDA

View Full Version : Hershey, PA or Busch Gardens, VA

kcrc
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I'm not sure that our 2010 vacation plans are going to take us back to Disneyworld. :( My husband wants to try someplace different. We were trying to decide between Hershey Park or Busch Gardens. I've been out to their websites to try to find out more. They are definitely not as "immersive" as a trip to Disneyworld, where the outside world just disappears for awhile.

Can anyone offer tips/suggestions for either of these 2 locations? Which one did you prefer (if you've done both)? How long of a trip would you suggest to these destinations? We expect to travel during the summer months.

Thanks so much for your help!

ajpa
11-04-2009, 02:18 PM
We haven't been to Busch gardens but we go to Hershey every summer just for a day in the amusement park because it is just 2 hours away. They also have a zoo & a botanical garden (pretty). So at the most 2 days.
If you decide on Hershey, you could also add a day to do touristy stuff in Lancaster County (learn about the Amish and shop crafts & quilts).

http://www.visitpa.com

kdsjjb
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Well we have done both places more than once, and I'd have to say that if I were planning a vacation around it, I'd absolutely do Busch Gardens.

There is more to do in the area, including Colonial Williamsburg, which the whole family enjoyed. You also have the Jamestown Setlement, the Ripleys Museum and there are several old plantations in the area. And if you are really big amusement park fans, you can go to Kings Dominion which is not too far away, though not nearly on par with BG.

Some of this could depend on the ages of your kids, but mine are now 18, 15, and 12 and we have done these parks at different times over the years, but my vote would def. be for Virginia!

Good luck and have fun.

Familyof6
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
We've been to both Hershey Park and Busch Gardens Europe (VA) - and to Disney World several times. We found both to be good alternatives to Disney.

This past August, we spent 1 week in Williamsburg. We primarily went to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA (large, fun water park). There are several ticket options allowing you to use the same ticket for both these parks (and some to include Colonial Williamsburg, if interested). The 6 days we had in these parks (and a few other activities in the area) was the perfect amount of time. When in Disney, we try to stay about 10-12 days.

Hershey Park is also a good alternative, although you don't need to spend a full week to enjoy - 3 days should be plenty, unless you want to explore some of the Amish area. It's been about 3 years since we were at Hershey.

We had such a good time in Williamsburg that we may go again next year. It was more relaxing than Disney - shorter lines, less crowded, etc. It is also much easier on the budget (we were able to drive from NY).

Our children range from 5-13 years old now to help you judge alternatives above. There is only one Disney, but I think you will enjoy either of the alternatives you are considering.

NJGIRL
11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I have to say I agree with your husband. There are so many cool things to see out there.

Williamsburg: Plenty to do to keep you busy for 7 days. You have Busch Gardens that is a beautiful park. It has many of the best rollercoasters in the US. It also has a nice selection of smaller kids rides.IMO they don't have many "theme rides" so if you are looking for the Jungle Cruise" or "Haunted Mansion" you will be disappointed. It does have "Dar Kastle" which is cool and another Irish ride that reminded me of Honey I Srunk the Audience. It's a really nice park to walk around in and has some nice places to eat. You can spend two days in Busch Gardens.

Then you have Water Country USA (Busch Gardens water park). IMO it is every much fun as the Disney water parks. I loved Hubba Bubba Highway. That is a whole day trip there.

Colonial Williamsburg is cool if you like history. Actors dressed up in period clothing and recreate life in Williamsburg. There are tours of the Governors Mansion and other buildings. They also have demos that you can get involved in. At night there are ghost tours and courtroom trails. Each week they put out a newspaper written in Colony times with all the events happening that corresponds with an actual week that really happened. There is also a square that has shops & restaurants. You can buy a pass for Jamestown too. This takes at least a two days.

Williamsburg also has alot of outlets. That took us one day.

There are also many many other things in the area. We went to a train museum (my son was younger), an attraction with all the presidents, and so much more.

We have been to Williamsburg 3 times.

I will post on Hershey also.

NJGIRL
11-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Hershey Park is another very clean beautiful park. It has top quality rides and of course chocolate. It is smaller than Busch Gardens so I would say one day in the park and maybe one day for the zoo and chocolate factory tour.

Lancaster is just around the corner and here you have many craft type shopping, the Straussburg Railroad (train ride & museum), outlets, and Dutch Wonderland which is a small park for younger kids. The Sight & Sound Theater has top quality shows that everyone I know that has gone enjoyed. You can spend 3 days here easy.

Philadelphia is only 2 hours away and would make a nice combo trip. So much to do there but since I'm just throwing that in I won't go into detail.

Out of the two places I think Williamsburg has more in one area to keep you busy but Hershey is also a fun vacation too.

Lelandmm
12-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I personally can't speak on Hershey, so I will give you some insight on BGW.
If you will be coming when it is warm, Not only can you visit BGW, but Water Country is next door.
You can get a good deal on Park Hopper tickets. If you are only interested in theme parks, about an hour from BGW is Kings Dominion. It has the water park in the park. One ticket, two parks in one.

If you have kids (or adults) in your group who like Sesame Street, You can do the Character Meal with Elmo and friends. (Elmo, Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster & Oscar)

Last year, Kings Dominion was Nickelodeon, but they ended the contract. So now it will be Snoopy. They had breakfast with Dora the Explorer, so maybe they will have a breakfast with Snoopy.

Also, BGW is an hour from the Va Beach Oceanfront, which has several mini-parks, like beachfront carneval things, Plus MotorWOrld and Ocean Breeze Water park.

If you want to do other non-theme park stuff,
Williamsburg is loaded with things to do.
You have the whole Coloinal Williamsburg area, plus historic Yorktown and Jamestown.
There are PLENTY of re-enactors everywhere giving you a taste for what life was like back then.

Then there is also the beach. Virginia Beach is loved by travelers from all over.

Some negatives:
If you are flying, you airport options are PHF and ORF. Neither are a big airport, prepare to pay more in fares.
You WILL NEED A CAR! There is no other way around.
You will be doing some driving between locations. Everything is spread out here.
There is really only ONE truly awesome resort. Its the Great Wolf Lodge. However, its EXPENSIVE!!!!
BGW is NOT handicap friendly. The terrain is very hilly. There are certain places you just can't go with a wheelchair or ECV or even a stroller. If it is raining, the terrain gets slick.

Some positives:
You can accomplish the major things in 3-5 days if you are just in Williamsburg. Nice for a short vacation.
You are surrounded by history. Many of the historical attractions have free things or are very cheap.
There is no planning out every second. The only thing you need to reserve is if you have a meal with Elmo. You can do that the day before.
There are some "behind the scenes" tours you can take with BGW. The kids can be a train conductor or work with the animals for the day. Those require reservations.
BGW is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and very Shady. Not a big worry about getting burned.
BGW has something for EVERYONE.
Little kids will love Sesame Street, big kids love the rides, and there are plenty of shows to take in.

We probably visit BGW 3 times a month from April-Sept!

Touchdown
12-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I personally love both places. So much so that when I lived a year in DC (2.5 hours away from each) I had a season pass to both. If you are looking for a vacation where you stay relatively in one place and have plenty of things to keep you occupied, then you want Williamsburg. They sell a pass that gets you free parking and park hopping to Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, and Colonial Williamsburg for 7 days. Its a blast, the closest Ive gotten to Disney World.

That said, 1 week is probably all you need there. If you are planning a 2 week trip there is so much to see nearby. People mentioned the other parks, but Ill go with "the other stuff." First as I mentioned, Hershey is only 5 hours away so it is quite possible to do both (Hershey is a 2-3 day place) in one two week trip. Besides that you have virtually every Civil War Battlefield in the Eastern Campaign (including Gettysburg) nearby, Jamestown, Yorktown, Mt. Vernon and Washington DC. If you havent taken your kids there, you really should. Its super easy to get around on the clean and safe Metro.

All the monuments and Smithsonian Museums are free, and with some writing to your Congressmen/Senator before the trip you could even get a free Capitol tour as well. The only thing I would recommend is getting the Tourmobile for your monument day, they have busses between the sites (and you get Arlington National Cemetery sites as well) which can be a pretty big hike for anyone in the dog days of summer.

NJGIRL
12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
The only thing I would recommend is getting the Tourmobile for your monument day, they have busses between the sites (and you get Arlington National Cemetery sites as well) which can be a pretty big hike for anyone in the dog days of summer.

This is something we do also. On our monument day we get a day pass on the tourmobile. Whenever I hear that someone is going to DC for the monuments I suggest that they do the same. From one monument to the next monument is that that bad of a walk but by the time you do six or seven you are beat. Out of all the places we have ever vacationed at my legs hurt the most on DC vacations. Much more walking and standing on your feet than Disney. Anyway I suggest the "tourmobile" only because the other touring trolley does not let you get on and off unlimited times during that day. On the tourmobile you can do the loop as many times as you want which comes in handey. The other touring trolley only lets you do one complete loop.

yjgirl32
12-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I have done both, but my vote would be for BG. The park is very clean and has lots to do. I would also think about some of the other things besides Williamsburg- which again I liked a lot. Va Beach is about an hour away and is a very very clean beach. RIght by the bech is an aquarium- smaller but pretty cool. There is also the living things museum- like a zoo- but still something to do. There is also a zoo not too far away- maybe about a half hour from Busch Gardens. Good luck and have fun.