PDA

View Full Version : Buying new camera??

minnie-mouse
11-03-2009, 07:52 AM
I am looking to buy a new camera, preferably something closer to a photographer quality camera w/o spending more than $900. Is that possible? Anything I should look for? I currently have a Kodak Easy Share SLR camera and looking to upgrade. Any tips?

BigRedDad
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I am no expert and could be biased. However, the Nikon D40 is still a great camera. It is older and you could easily get them for $300. The standard lenses probably cost about $250. You would be looking at about $750 for a good setup.

paragon
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I have a Nikon D60, I love it. Got it last Christams, I am sure the cost is down from last year, as it was brand new then. Great pictures, easy to use. I can use my old 35mm 800mm lens on it. It shoots fast, semi professional camera, well worth the money. I hate most digital cams, I shoot alot of professional wrestling matches, so I wanted something with as little "drag" as possible, this camera shoots super fast, using the viewfinder instead of a viewscreen, so its very easy to shoot action shots.

Altair
11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
The problem with these threads is they just become a " I have this or that camera" thread. Do a search for "Digital Camera HQ", you can break down your search by brand, price or megapixals.
Learning proper technique and how to use the camera you get is much more important than which camera you get. :photo:

minnie-mouse
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks. I already did a search on brands and price and do have a few in mind, but I always like to hear other people's experiences with purchases, customer service, etc.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
My cousin who owns his own camera store recommended Canon or Olympus as the best brands.
I have an all manual Pentax that I got years ago and it was great. I don't even know if they still make that brand.

NotaGeek
11-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks. I already did a search on brands and price and do have a few in mind, but I always like to hear other people's experiences with purchases, customer service, etc.
It might be easier to list the cameras you are choosing from and see if members have first hand experience with those specific cameras. There are SO many cameras that fall into your category/price, narrowing down the range to your specific interest will hopefully get you more insightful posts ... just a hint so you get the info you are looking for.

PlutoToo
11-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Pentax does make a digital SLR camera. I have one and love it.

Magic Smiles
11-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Learning proper technique and how to use the camera you get is much more important than which camera you get. :photo:

I have an Olympus SLR (with a few lenses) and a few Olympus point and shoots along with my most recent purchase of a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot. All of them take great photos, but after purchasing all of them I have been told by many sales people, that it really is in learning the proper technique and how to use the camera just as Altair mentioned.
The problem with cameras is that they seem to come out with newer and better ones every month.