PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 4, severely injured in crash at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness

Maleficent's Dad
11-02-2009, 06:34 PM
From the Orlando Sentinel:

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/11/girl-4-severely-injured-in-crash-at-disneys-ft-wilderness/

Girl, 4, severely injured in crash at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness
News — By admin on November 2, 2009 at 1:27 pm

From Sentinel Staff Writer Bianca Prieto
A 4-year-old girl was seriously injured this weekend at Disney’s Fort Wilderness when a golf cart she was riding overturned, partially pinning her underneath.

The child was riding with her father in their personal golf cart around 10:30 p.m. Saturday when the cart overturned. The driver, Charles Wickt, 37, of Big Pine Key, told officers that he swerved to avoid another cart that was driving toward them without lights, Orange County Sheriff’s Office reports show.

When the cart turned over the girl was thrown from the passenger seat and pinned. She suffered injuries to her neck, head and face, reports show. She was flown to Arnold Palmer Hospital where she was rushed into surgery. She was listed in stable condition.

Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the accident.

faline
11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Very sad. I hope she recovers well.

Joannelet
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
omg what awful news. :(
I hope she is okay

Lakin
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Awww. :(

Here's some pixie dust for the girl and her family in hopes of a good recovery.:magic:

ibrowse17
11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I really hope she will be ok:pixie:

mjaclyn
11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
That poor girl...I hope she recovers. :(

Buttercup
11-02-2009, 11:38 PM
So sad and scary... I'm a parent of a 4 year old and I can't imagine... :(
I can't remember: do the golf carts have seatbelts? I was there in 2007 and I don't remember seeing them. Might be something to think about, considering how many children ride them every day.
Regardless, pixie dust to her family.

plutoboy
11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Very sad indeed...especially at that age. In response to whether or not golf carts have seatbelts, I have been on some that do and others that do not, keep in mind though that this was a PERSONAL golf cart and not a Disney cart.

TheRustyScupper
11-03-2009, 10:53 AM
do the golf carts have seatbelts?

1) Most carts do not have seat belts.
2) In any case, it is apparent the father was driving too fast.
3) There might have been an on-coming cart.
4) But, if driving slow enough any turn would not flip the cart.
5) Let's hope the little girl gets better quickly.

BrerGnat
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Hope that little girl makes a complete recovery. :(

But I agree, that dad must have been going awfully fast to flip the cart. Even if he did have to swerve...at 10pm, maybe a more cautious speed should have been in order.

Does Disney post speed limits on the paths at Ft. Wilderness?

thrillme
11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
It's not impossible to flip a golf cart even if you're going rather slow IF you cut the wheel sharp enough or are on "uneven" terrain. They do tend to be a bit top heavy.

Granny Jill A
11-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Hope that little girl makes a complete recovery. :(

But I agree, that dad must have been going awfully fast to flip the cart. Even if he did have to swerve...at 10pm, maybe a more cautious speed should have been in order.

Does Disney post speed limits on the paths at Ft. Wilderness?

First of all, to the poor little girl, wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

We were walking through the campground last Christmas to view the decorated campsites. The lighting was pretty low and the folks on golf carts were speeding down the paths. We had to jump out of the way many times because we couldn't hear them coming. We finally gave up after more close calls with the carts. They also looked like they were top-heavy and easy to tip over.

Again, my prayers to the family.

BluewaterBrad
11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I am a Golf Course Supt. My main mode of transportation is a golf cart. Yes, you can flip one over ( I personally can drive one on 2 wheels for over 50 yds, 110yds is my record) You have to be flying and hit the wheel very hard to flip. It sounds like the little girl was enjoying the "joy ride" until it went wrong. Needless to say, prayers for the little one. A tragedy, but I hope it is not a lawsuit against WDW.:mickey:

Belster
11-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I hope that this little girl is recovering well.