PDA

View Full Version : Tips for trip planning on short notice?

PrincessKaitsMom
11-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Due to work schedules, I am going to be planning a Disney Trip on very short notice (but that's better than no trip at all in my opinion :). Hopefully the week of Thanksgiving but possibly the week before or week of Christmas. I know these will be busy times of year to travel to Disney but I have been on Thanksgiving twice before with no problems, but usually with 6 months advanced planning :) I will only know the dates of our trip one or two weeks in advance. Do I have any chance of getting the hotel I want or any of my first choice meal reservations? Is there a chance all moderates would be completed booked up? Any tips would be greatly appreciated....

green ranger
11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Did you go online to the Disney site and just play with the dates and hotels you are looking at for when you go. That way, you could maybe get an idea of availability. You could also do that with the online ADR system to just get ideas of how booked things are.
Good luck!

DVC2004
11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
It's not impossible- but with those dates it will be difficult.You might have a better shot this year due to the economy (more people staying home). Mods and values seem to go first due to the affordability factor. Sometimes mods will be available but only the expensive, suite- style rooms. You may have to go deluxe but you never know. You should be able to get ADRs, but probably not your first choice of restaurants or times. if you are flex with your dining, reseverations will help you find available dining.

I have gone several time on short notice (once booked 1 day before I left)- so I agree short notice is better than not going at all. Just as long as you know what to expect and can be more flex, you'll still have a great time.

And I agree with the previous poster. Go online and play around with both dates to give you an idea. Good luck!

BluewaterBrad
11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Get in touch with Wendy from Magical Journeys!:mickey:

IloveDisney71
11-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I got in on the the last day with the Disney hotel only discount for a possible trip in December. We are staying at the CBR in mid-December. We decided to skip table service restuarants and just wing it. We may try to get a reservation while we're there (just to try our luck) but we'll be so happy to actually be there that we'll be perfectly happy eating CS meals. :mickey: There is a possibility that we won't be able to go so I don't want to put a ton of effort into planning this time. That is SO NOT normal for me! Usually I plan like crazy. :blush:
You should be able to find a resort even if it's not your first or second choice. Restaurant reservations may be more difficult. However, I've been able to walk up and get a reservation for that day due to someone's last minute cancellation. You just never know but if you're flexible you should be fine.

mrsgaribaldi
11-04-2009, 11:38 PM
We've done it on very short notice a few times. Dh calls them direct. Good luck, I know you'll get something:mickey:

Scar
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
I just got back from a trip made on two weeks notice. :thumbsup:

Although much of my advice won't work for you as it was the F&W Festival and I had 90% of my meals there. But one piece of advice I have used before is; if you can't get the hotel for certain dates, try removing a night from the beginning or end or both and stay off site that first or last night. Especially if that night is a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I think some people book Friday for 8 or more nights or Saturday for 8 or more nights, leaving the room empty during the week.

PrincessKaitsMom
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks so much for all the great tips and info, it is very encouraging. I, to, am a mega-planner and going on short notice is making me a little nervous. But we are flexible and open to taking whatever we get as long as we get to go :) Thanks all!