PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I Have Sciatica 1 Month Before WDW Trip!

DisneyPrincess21
10-31-2009, 05:48 PM
If it wasn't for bad luck........

I have been suffering terrible pains due to sciatica for 2 days now. I can't even sit it hurts so bad. I have never dealt with this before and i am 1 month out till my trip to WDW. We will be driving down and taking 2 overnights to get there, we will be in the car around 6 hours the first 2 days of the trip and 5 hours the final day when we get into Disney.
I am not sure how to best treat this problem so i can still enjoy my trip. I bought a seat cushion off of QVC that people have said helped them sit comfortably when they had sciatica, and i have a back massager for the car seat. I am worried about how to handle the theme park days. I am most comfortable laying down, i cant sit, but i cant walk very far or fast without pain. So i was thinking i might do the best with an ECV while using my seat cushion.

Help!! Has anyone dealt with this before, do you have any tips or advice? I know it's still a month out but i need a backup plan in case my sciatica doesnt go away or gets reaggreviate by the car ride down. I am only 24 and really dont want to have to ride in an ECV the whole time while at the parks because i dont "look sick" and you know how rude people can be to ECV users who dont "look sick", but i just dont see how i can handle all of the walking when i have been basically on bed rest for 2 days because i cant barely walk around my house.

retiredfigment
10-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh have I been there. The pain is horrible and, as you said, because you don't look sick no one believes you. Check with doctor,get some good pain meds, take a something you can heat up to put on your back or use an ice bag of some sort, whichever feels best. When you get to Disney sleep with your knees bent. Did you try therapy? Nothing else worked for me. And if you have to get an ECV. Too bad what other people say. They are the people who grump about everything!:sick:

Disney4us2
10-31-2009, 07:01 PM
OUCH.... I feel your pain.:(

I would see your doctor and see if she/he can put you on muscle relaxers, or at least pain meds. You can try icing and then heating the area.

A couple of years ago this happend to me after our trip to WDW. I had back pain going down my leg. After several months of pain and going to several doctors, I saw a neurosurgeon. Long story ... made short, cyst in the spinal column, surgery, now waiting for permanent disability.

I would have to use an ECV at WDW.... I use a rolling walker with a seat so I can sit when we are at Disneyland. I don't look sick or injured, and I do sometimes get looks. I just ignore them and go on having fun.

Hopefully your sciatica will clear up soon. Again see your doctor for treatment. If you need an ECV.... use it. Enjoy your vacation. Don't worry what others think. You are there to have fun.:mickey:

RockinRobin
10-31-2009, 07:19 PM
you need to see a Chiropractor(sp). I was so bad I couldn't sit or lay or stand. If you go to a MD they will want to do tests, meds and maybe rest or hospital. But the Chiropractor will take x-rays and give you an adjustment it may take a few times but you should be all set for you trip. We leave 11/30 and I can't wait. Good luck

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
10-31-2009, 07:39 PM
I(Di), had some issues w/my back 5yrs ago. I feel for you. Make sure to take your pain meds. Stay ahead of the pain. You will heal faster. That was the best piece of advice my Doc's gave me. You heal faster because, you will be more likely to be "up" and moving when you are free from pain. Get lots of rest and take alot of breaks. Be gentle w/yourself and listen to your body. Another bit of advice...Hopefully, not too personal... If you are having trouble with washing up because of your back, make sure to get some small kitchen tongs. You can wash up easily w/a wash cloth and, reach everything this way w/out straining. It was a Godsend not to have someone help me w/my personal needs.
Don't worry about what others think. Just, take it all in when you are going at a slower pace and, enjoy your time at the "Happiest Place On Earth!"
We hope you feel better soon!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Dznygrl79
10-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh I so understand I have Spondylolysis and that causes some sciatic pain talk to your doc I have an orthopedist, They can write you a script for a few things muscle releaxer and pain med. Also ice, twenty on twenty off it will really help.I wasn't able to take my trp this year cause my vertabra was still healing but talk to your doc and see what they say.

PETE FROM NYC
11-01-2009, 02:05 PM
you need to see a Chiropractor(sp). I was so bad I couldn't sit or lay or stand. If you go to a MD they will want to do tests, meds and maybe rest or hospital. But the Chiropractor will take x-rays and give you an adjustment it may take a few times but you should be all set for you trip. We leave 11/30 and I can't wait. Good luck

I agree with seeing a good old fashioned chiropractor, not an MD.
Around 20 plus yrs ago, my father was in terrible pain from the sciatic nerve. Doctor put him in traction in the hospital. He came out in worse shape than he went in. Then, a friend recommended a chiropractor. This chiropractor worked miracles with him, and got him up and about in a few weeks. Push here, pull there,and move whatever needed moving.
Ice here, heat there. It worked.
Now, for aches and pains, the whole family uses this chiropractor.
As for you using a scooter, rent one from an outside source and you will have it for around your resort too.
I rented one from Apple Scooters on my trip in September, and found them to be the best value.

Loweschevy
11-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I definetely recommend seeing a chiropractor that specializes in sciatica pain. See if you can get in for a few treatments before you leave. It does me wonders-I have had days where i could not stand up straight. I understand where you are coming from I am 28.

I also recommend deep tissue massage-find a massage therapist. This really helps loosen up the spine relieving the pressure on the nerve. I have to go every two weeks otherwise my muscles tense up into rocks.

Good luck and have fun on your trip

DisneyPrincess21
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have decided to get an ECV, even though i dont care for the idea of using one the whole time.

Even though my back is feeling better then it did, at 3 weeks out i dont see it being a possibility for my back to be able to handle the amount of walking that is required.

My mom and i have found a few different ways to rub my back that have really helped to relax the nerve and get rid of the pain.

I am one of those "anti-pain medicine" people unless i really really need it, i have a very high threshold for pain, so i pretty much just grin and bear it unless it is really terrible pain then i take something. Fortunately with my sciatica pain i have been able to find alternatives to medicine's like massages, resting alot, i have a seat cushion for when i have to ride in the car. So i think with everything i have found that has been helping plus the ECV i should be able to have a pretty fabulous trip.

d_m_n_n
11-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I really, really suggest seeing a chiropractor as well!!! I work in a chiro. office and in the last 2 days have seen 2 pregnant to the point of almost in too much pain to walk due to their sciatic. Their OB sent them on Monday. After their second visit (today) it is amazing the results they are achieving!!! Most insurance companies will cover visits and I truly think you will find it beneficial. :)

meldan98
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I would also suggest the chiropractor and maybe the deep tissue massage. I was in a really bad car accident several years ago, and had gone the md route and they finally recommended a chiro. I went for a couple of weeks and was not seeing any improvement. My chiro was concerned and did some research and the next time I went in when I would be the last appointment of the day, which I thought was kind of weird. He told me that he had found that I might have had a spasmed soaz (sp?) muscle. He did some deep tissue massage and as soon as he hit that muscle, I screamed like a banshe (the reason I was the last appt of the day :D). I went everyday for a week, and by the time my week was up, I had minimal to no sciatica pain. Within 2 weeks, I didn't have to go back.

satchel01
11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd really really suggest getting a recommendation from a neurosurgeon before heading to a chiropractor. I used to work in neurosurg and the docs could always tell those patients who frequented the chiropractors...they had tons of scar tissue and were messed up from it. And no, it wasn't from previous surgeries because they hadn't had any. I know many people get great relief and I don't deny that, I just would ask your doc's opinion first. I've heard too many horror stories and would never see one myself.

DisneyPrincess21
11-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd really really suggest getting a recommendation from a neurosurgeon before heading to a chiropractor. I used to work in neurosurg and the docs could always tell those patients who frequented the chiropractors...they had tons of scar tissue and were messed up from it. And no, it wasn't from previous surgeries because they hadn't had any. I know many people get great relief and I don't deny that, I just would ask your doc's opinion first. I've heard too many horror stories and would never see one myself.

:thumbsup:

I am like you I don't "believe" in chiropractor's and would never go to one. To each his own, but both of my parents were messed up by chiropractor's so I refuse to ever see one.

ElenitaB
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Moderator alert:

Please let's limit our comments to how/why/when to renting an ECV and dealing with sciatica while at WDW, and not a debate regarding chiropractic treatment. Passions exist on both sides of the fence on this issue, and we need to stay focused on DisneyPrincess21's question.

Thanks!

wire0monkey
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
You might want to see a neuro guy and ask about a nerve block before your trip. They inject medication at the nerve root and that blocks the signal from the nerve. No signal = no pain.