PDA

View Full Version : full size, umbrella, or car set for 7mo old

dumbo_buddy
10-30-2009, 07:12 AM
baby in disney question!!!

what type of carriage would you or have you used for a 7 month old in disney? my guy is 4 mo old now and on the small side (13 lbs, 5th %ile) but now he's got great head control and loves to sit up (with help of course). we go for long walks everyday but he's still in his car seat which clicks into a carriage.

every once in a while i put him in the full size one just because he like to sit up and look out but he's very small for it.

at 7 months, any idea which type is best? we have a graco full size and a mclaren quest (still in box) and the car seat can click into the graco.

TIA for your help. :rocks:

Joannelet
10-30-2009, 08:07 AM
we took the chicco one with us that also had the car seat to click into it. But by 7 months he was just sitting in the stroller without the car seat and enjoyed looking around at all the Disney sites.
I think that is your best bet....does it have a harness strap? I'm not sure about Graco but I know my chicco does and I really wouldn't use one without that.

Joannelet
10-30-2009, 08:12 AM
oh and I forgot to mention my little guy is/was on the small side too :) He is going to be 1 in 4 weeks and people ask me if hes 8 months. LOL

dumbo_buddy
10-30-2009, 08:42 AM
i prefer "peanut-sized" :)

the graco we have has a lap strap only but our mclaren quest has a harness...hmm i wonder if the mclaren is too small (no tray)

kakn7294
10-30-2009, 09:23 AM
My girls are no longer stroller-aged so I don't know strollers by brands and style names but here's my take on it: at 7 mo he should probably be sitting up pretty well and shouldn't need the car seat attachment so I wouldn't use that. I suggest going with the smallest, lightest stroller you have that still allows him to recline to sleep, is easy to push, easy to fold and carry onto buses (if you will be traveling on Disney buses), and has good storage space. As a side note, you may also want to consider taking a baby carrier for the waits in line and places you can't take a stroller, especially if he's a wiggler.

dumbo_buddy
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
thanks kathy!

we have a bjorn and a moby for the rides. thomas loves the bjorn. we have taken him to the bronx zoo a bunch of times and loves looking around in the bjorn!

BrerGnat
10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Definitely the Maclaren Quest. You should take it out of the box and examine it so you can get used to how it folds and unfolds, and how far it reclines (as well as how to use the seat "extender" foot rest, rain cover, and tilting hood).

I got a Quest when my little guy was around 6 months old. BEST stroller ever. I was never concerned about a tray or cup holder, as by that time, babies either don't care, or they think it's a really fun game to sweep snacks OFF the tray and throw the cup to the ground over, and over, and over, and over...it gets old!

I love how the Quest reclines almost flat, and the little footrest is PERFECT for babies, as it lets them sit and rest comfortably (no dangling legs!). In addition, the underbasket is just the right size for a Bjorn, and you can easily hang a backpack (ditch the diaper bag concept) over the handles of the stroller while the baby is in it. When it's time to park the stroller, simply grab the backpack and off you go! It helps that there isn't mega huge amounts of storage, because it will keep you packing ONLY what you NEED, and not the kitchen sink! ;)

A HUGE bonus of the Maclaren is the included rain cover. This thing is awesome! Whenever we've used it at Disneyland, we've gotten such looks of envy. It's super cool, and folds tiny! :thumbsup:

We have been going to Disneyland with both our boys since they were only a few weeks old each. I've been in "Disney theme park" land with EVERY type of stroller (Graco Metrolite, Sit and Stand, jogger, and umbrella). Umbrella wins by a LONG shot, at least for me. I'm a no frills type person, and I like to take as little as possible into the parks.

dumbo_buddy
10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
excellent feedback, thank you! i will definitely take out the mclaren and learn all about it.

think i can put him in there now at 4 months?

BrerGnat
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
excellent feedback, thank you! i will definitely take out the mclaren and learn all about it.

think i can put him in there now at 4 months?

Mmm...might be a bit too small yet (my son was a BEAST so at 6 months he was more than big enough for the Quest). At 4 months, though, without side supports for his head, it's not really a good option for a long outing. He'll slump. If you want to just take it out and try it (and start adjusting the straps and stuff), just fully recline it when you put him in there, and put in a rolled up blankie up around his head, and to the sides of his ears (in an upside down U shape). And, be sure to extend the footrest. That should be good.

mudpuppysmom
10-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Someone else has said what I'm thinking.....take the lightest, easiest to fold and most comfortable stroller for you and the baby.

Our first trip DS#2 was 6 1/2 mo old and we took our Inglesina Zippy. DH wanted to take our travel system, but it's too big and bulky and HEAVY, plus it's hard to fit on the trams, so I won that battle! My sister used our Peg Perego Pliko and she liked the Inglesina better -- basically the same stroller, just folds differently. I think your Maclaren would be easier for you to deal with on the trams/buses and be fine for when your son needs to nap.

This past trip (we just got back a week ago) I took a new Zippy with me and I'm glad I did -- one kid was sick basically the entire trip and when the first kid was better, the second one was sick, so I had to negotiate the kid/stroller/bag myself while DH was at the hotel with the other child. Generally people are polite and will sometimes help you, but I think if you know you can do it all yourself you will be safe, so I try to think about what I'm carrying and if I can do it alone -- you take less stuff that way!