PDA

View Full Version : Disney Marathon Weekend

Greenlawler
10-30-2009, 12:57 AM
So who is running in the Disney Half, Full or Goofy Challenge?

I will will be going for my thrid Disney Full and second Goofy.

marylynne95
10-30-2009, 08:31 AM
My friends are running the goofy challenge, and I am babysitting their daughter!! :mickey: We are are going to have much more fun!! LOL!! :mickey:

joanna71985
11-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I am running in the Half. It will be my first-ever marathon!

KH
11-17-2009, 04:35 PM
My brother in law and I are running the Half to celebrate our 50th birthdays. It will be the first race for both of us. We live in different cities, so we're not training together much, but our training is going well, except for some nagging plantar fascitiis (me). We both are martial artists, but have never done any endurance running. We're looking forward to it.

I hope that you are all training well and have a great time on race day.

Kevin

Greenlawler
11-18-2009, 12:14 AM
My brother in law and I are running the Half to celebrate our 50th birthdays. It will be the first race for both of us. We live in different cities, so we're not training together much, but our training is going well, except for some nagging plantar fascitiis (me). We both are martial artists, but have never done any endurance running. We're looking forward to it.

I hope that you are all training well and have a great time on race day.

Kevin

Last year I ran beside a large group from a martial arts club, they started out strong but I don't think they trained wisely as they wittled down fast. I am sure they finished but did not realize just how this is not a sprint its a marathon. I was an ametuer wrestler, I trained often but this is a totally different animal. Be careful with the PR it can cause you long term problems which I am sure you already know.

KH
11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, Greenlawler. The good news is, we discovered very quickly that endurance running and martial arts training are very different, and we're following a good training schedule. The best part of this is that the marathon (ok, half) training has really helped me when I spar. Cross training is great!

Greenlawler
12-12-2009, 02:42 AM
So only a few weeks away. Any training updates?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
12-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I live close enough to drive down there, and I was recently offered a bib number to run the half marathon. You can probably tell by my name that I am a runner, but my training lately has been lower mileage.

I'm pretty sure I could Gallowalk the half and finish, but I'm just a little bit nervous about doing that. I did the Disney marathon in 2004, and I have done countless other half marathons and a few local marathons, so I know enough to respect the distance.

If you listen to some podcasts like (ahem, not sure if I can say this) Running to Disney, I am just like the podcaster there - a late 30s, a little bit overweight, not the typical runner's body, balding guy.

I'm not sure now what I'll do - I will definitely go down there to cheer on runners, I just don't know if I'll participate in the half or not. I can try and do a nice long run this weekend to see how I feel, and then go from there I guess.

joanna71985
12-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I can't believe it's almost time for the marathon. I'm starting to get a little nervous

miasmom
01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm running my first-ever half marathon (i like to call it my mid-life crisis. It was either that or a new car or a new husband. Needless to say, my husband is grateful that I chose the race!)

I am running with a friend from another city, and was wondering if anyone knows if the bib numbers correlate somehow to wave and corral? our bib numbers are 5,000 apart (I'm 46556 and she is 51-something). I think we both put down the same time-to-finish. I'm a little anxious that we'll be separated, and although I guess we can meet up at the first mile-marker, it would still be a bummer if one of us has to add time to her race by waiting for the other.

So....if you know anything of how the bib number relates to start, please let me know. And if you have some strategies for meeting up with another runner in a diff't wave, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks so much (and I think I'll be putting an iron-on saying "Princess Karen" on my shirt, so holler if you see me.)I'll also be in the race retreat - a treat that I thought I deserved given that I didn't buy the car......)

wdwjoe
01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
We are bummed to not be down there for the races this year. My first was just two years ago and I will never forget the marathon experience. Best of luck and fun to all runners.

As for the bibs corresponding to corrals, I thought they did kind of, but there are A LOT of people in the corrals. It will list your starting corral/wave # on your bib number. If you are separated, like one in D and one in F, the runner in D can start the race in corral F. That is what my wife and I did. She came back and joined me.

Greenlawler
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Based on last years numbers you will both be in the same coral. It is directly correlated to the estimated time you sent in on your application. If your estimated time was not backed up by a previous race time they more than likely will throw you into the last coral.

Rosemickey68
02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
My DH,DS, and myself are going to run in the 2011 Marathon.
This will be our first marathon. Any advice or suggestions on preparing for it?
We started with 1 mile on the first week of Jan and are increasing it by 1/2 mile each week. My DH and I are on the pooh side right now and out of shape. So this is our goal is to get in shape and complete this marathon (midlife crisis!?!?).

Best WDW resort to stay in for the marathon? Do you get discounts on room/tickets when you sign up for the marathon?

We are going to WDW with our family 3 or 4 days ahead of the marathon..any suggestions on how to handle training the few days before the big day and managing visiting the parks.
Thanks!

Greenlawler
02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
My DH,DS, and myself are going to run in the 2011 Marathon.
This will be our first marathon. Any advice or suggestions on preparing for it?
We started with 1 mile on the first week of Jan and are increasing it by 1/2 mile each week. My DH and I are on the pooh side right now and out of shape. So this is our goal is to get in shape and complete this marathon (midlife crisis!?!?).

Best WDW resort to stay in for the marathon? Do you get discounts on room/tickets when you sign up for the marathon?

We are going to WDW with our family 3 or 4 days ahead of the marathon..any suggestions on how to handle training the few days before the big day and managing visiting the parks.
Thanks!

Your mile building strategy is probably a good one, however you will need to listen to your body as the mileage increases. Once you get up to four to six miles as your base and occasional forays into double digit runs, I would stay there until about 18 weeks out from the race. At this point you will need to find a running plan. I like Hal Higdon's, plus you can get it free. If you are a novice buy a marathon book, like "Marathon's for Dummies". Also know this...your shoes are the most important thing. Go to a real running shoe store not Atheletes Foot or Champs, and buy a new pair of shoes every 500 miles at least. This is very important. The hardest thing to do training for a marathon is getting to the race injury free.
There is a slight park ticket discount but I am not sure if it is available to all runners of if it is only offered to those who run for charity. As far as I know there is no lodging discount.
I have run the Goofy Challenge the past two years and the Marathon in 2008, and I have always walked around the parks the days before the races. However I never take it too hard, I never stayed out past 7:00 and we never rushed anywhere.

Greenlawler
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
So how did everyone do this year?

I ran a 2:12 for the half... I ran with my wife and I ran a 4:49 for the full.

Scar
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
So how did everyone do this year?

I ran a 2:12 for the half... I ran with my wife and I ran a 4:49 for the full.
I heard Payton Manning did the full in under 2 hours :fresh:

Greenlawler
02-13-2010, 01:13 AM
I heard Payton Manning did the full in under 2 hours :fresh:

NICE!!!

It was because there was a certain University of Tennesseee Trainer chasing him with a lawsuit. :secret:

oops did I type that? I thought UT had covered that up.