PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Question

sisterslovindisney
10-28-2009, 06:36 AM
We are looking to fly southwest for our upcoming January trip. Unfortunately our dates don't fit in with their big sale.
My question is, is there any problem with just booking one way at a time? Our return flight is right now at $94 while the trip there is at $139.
I have seen them much cheaper but we waited to try to purchase because we were debating on which airport to fly out of. Now I'm mad that we didn't grab them when they were $64 each way. Anyway. I need to know the logistics of having two one way tickets - is it a bighassle at the airport or any other problems that you can forsee?
By the way we are flying out of Buffalo (Jan 3 - Jan 10) 7 people.

Ian
10-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Nope. In fact, I always book my Southwest trips as two one way fares instead of a round trip.

It makes it much easier to modify a reservation if lower fares become available later.

MinnieMommie
10-28-2009, 07:01 AM
You have almost the exact dates we have. We have bought one way for this trip because we are still unsure what we are doing for the trip down. Your trip home should fit into the sale dates (ours did). See if you can get a lower rate for your trip home now and then see what happens for the trip down. I honestly don't see a down side with booking one way. :mickey:

sisterslovindisney
10-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks Ian,
As a follow up, how far out do you book a flight? I'm wondering how long I should wait hoping that the prices will go down again.

BMan62
10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks Ian,
As a follow up, how far out do you book a flight? I'm wondering how long I should wait hoping that the prices will go down again.

With Southwest, it is not too big a deal when you book...If the price goes down, you can rebook (change) your flight(s) and get a credit that is good for one year for the difference.

wildernesslady
10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
I try to book one way as well. It seems to work out better when there are any price drops. My Dec. flight home is now $75 and we booked at $99. You never know when it will change. Good luck.

BigRedDad
10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
The only potential hassle that you will have is with TSA. TSA seems to target travelers with one-way tickets. Other than that, there are no issues and it is easily managed on your end.