PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Found That Has Made Your Trip To WDW Better/Easier?

DisneyPrincess21
10-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I was wondering what kind of gadgets, tips, products or idea's have you come up with that helped your Disney trip?

For example, I have found that I sleep the best if I bring a small desktop fan to put on the nightstand in my room at the hotel. I always sleep with a fan on in my room and I am so use to the noise, that I have trouble sleeping without it. So I got the idea once (actually stumbled upon the idea due to being at a hotel with paper thin walls) to take a small fan with me, and I haven't had a bad night sleep since.

Also, I remember someone suggesting buying the toiletry kits that have a hook so you can hang them on the back of the bathroom door to put all of your stuff, since it seems there is never enough counter space.

Stuff I am looking for in particular would be-

1.)Does anyone know any good blister products to help prevent or treat blisters. I am forever getting at least a couple blisters in the most painful areas on my feet.

2.)Any good products to help keep you cool while walking around the parks? I am the type the gets overheated very easily and it takes me a long time (and a long time stuck in the restroom :blush:) to recover once I become overheated.

3.)What is your list of essential items that you simply can't forget to take with you to help on your trip to WDW?

Any tips for my questions, or suggestions on gadgets, products and anything else you have found helpful would be great Thanks! :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
10-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Good questions... I will be looking forward to all the different suggestions.

For the blisters you could try mole skin. I would think anything in the first aid section would have blister aids. Thick padded band-aids, Etc.

I also bring a small baby powder to keep body areas drier. It works great. There are other female personal care items that work well too. PM if you want to know:blush:

For cooling off, you could try one of the spray bottles with a fan. I know there are other items around as well.

I use the space bags when packing and that helps with luggage space. I also bring a small snack size bag(s) of laundry detergent. I hand wash and hang in the tub (clothes line) to dry.

I like the idea of the hanging toiletry kits, I have read that some people have also uesed small shoe bags. You can hang them on the door or in the closet area for extra storage.

I also pack a small pharmacy when I travel. Antiacids, tylenol, pepto, allergy meds, band-aids Etc. They can come in handy if you need them, and don't take up too much room in the suit case. I also pack small things in the ziploc bags and bring extras as well. I bring all sizes.

Those are some of my ideas. Can't wait to see more.:mickey:

seanyred
10-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I was wondering what kind of gadgets, tips, products or idea's have you come up with that helped your Disney trip?

For example, I have found that I sleep the best if I bring a small desktop fan to put on the nightstand in my room at the hotel. I always sleep with a fan on in my room and I am so use to the noise, that I have trouble sleeping without it. So I got the idea once (actually stumbled upon the idea due to being at a hotel with paper thin walls) to take a small fan with me, and I haven't had a bad night sleep since.

Also, I remember someone suggesting buying the toiletry kits that have a hook so you can hang them on the back of the bathroom door to put all of your stuff, since it seems there is never enough counter space.

Stuff I am looking for in particular would be-

2.)Any good products to help keep you cool while walking around the parks? I am the type the gets overheated very easily and it takes me a long time (and a long time stuck in the restroom :blush:) to recover once I become overheated.

:thumbsup:

To keep cool. Look into a cooling cloth. There are all different types out there. Some have gels that stay school when wet and others are just fabrics that help cool you. Search cooling cloth on the web or go to a sports store.

DakotaDisney
10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Zip lock bags or similar brand - good for keeping things dry for water rides, also helps with organizing things in a backpack if you have to carry a bunch of stuff (keeps small things from rolling around) Also bring a couple really large ones, incase you have a wet swimsuit or something that hasn't dried completely before you have to go home.

To keep cool drink lots of water. Seems simple and we all know we should do it, but we don't. It's easy to get overheated. We should drink lots of water before going out in the heat, drinking it after being out in the heat is almost to late.

Simple & small snack foods or breakfast items like granola bars, etc. that I can pack in my suitcase to save on money for breakfast somedays or for a snack.

Remember your camera and phone chargers.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
If we are afraid of getting blisters, we use the rounded corn pads where we think rubbing may occur. We have a good friend who is a podiatrist and he recommended this or like the previous poster suggested: Mole Skin. You can cut it into any shape.

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

DisneyPrincess21
10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
If we are afraid of getting blisters, we use the rounded corn pads where we think rubbing may occur. We have a good friend who is a podiatrist and he recommended this or like the previous poster suggested: Mole Skin. You can cut it into any shape.

How well does the mole skin stay in place? Is it something you have to replace everyday or can you wear it in the shower and have it stay in place for a few days?

kakn7294
10-27-2009, 10:03 PM
1.)Does anyone know any good blister products to help prevent or treat blisters. I am forever getting at least a couple blisters in the most painful areas on my feet.
To prevent blisters, I use Bandaid brand blister blocker - looks like a tiny deodorant tube & available at Walmart. It's great for not only preventing blisters, but also preventing heat rashes anywhere that skin tends to rub together.

2.)Any good products to help keep you cool while walking around the parks? I am the type the gets overheated very easily and it takes me a long time (and a long time stuck in the restroom ) to recover once I become overheated.We don't have a product that we use but we do try to break up the day so we are not outside in the hottest part of the day. We try to hit the indoor attractions when it's really hot outside and duck into gift shops frequently. Also, be sure to keep well hydrated. We love frozen Cokes and other frozen treats for cooling down.

3.)What is your list of essential items that you simply can't forget to take with you to help on your trip to WDW?I like to take a nightlight to plug in near the bathroom and a couple clip clothespins to keep the gaps in the curtains snug. I also have started taking multi-outlet bar to plug in all those electric devices that need recharging each night.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
10-27-2009, 10:09 PM
It stays in place well but, you should change it if you are getting wet. The material is different and may absorb moisture. Make sure to get 2pkgs just in case, if you are prone to getting blisters. Don't forget to get scissors to cut it. The cushioned corn pads are good too. They are thicker and peel off easy and keep your toes separated.I(Di), had a part of my shoe that was rubbing and I stuck one on the outside of my foot and it cushioned it enough so, that it didn't hurt. Hope this helps!

ibrowse17
10-28-2009, 12:27 AM
The best thing we have found to make our trips better/easier is to take a break in the middle of the day. Coming back to our resort for a few hours leaves us much more rested, and a little less leg weary. It aso removes us from the hottest part of the day. I used to never take a break, and would only return to the resort after a full day in the parks. Since taking a brake on our last few trips, I would not do it any other way ever again. Have a great trip:thumbsup:

disneykid@hrt
10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Ziploc bags galore!

I usually take a face towel in a Ziploc and when I get hot I just put some cold water on it and wash my face, arms, and legs. It really feels great on super hot days.

We carry an extra pair of socks each incase our feet get wet. This helps to cut down on blisters. We always used moleskin in the wilderness.

aurora, ariel, and bell
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Blister Bandaids are great, they don't seem to stay on for a few days, you'll probably need to replace them each day.

One thing i brought that i loved was a shoe holder. it had velcro at the top that woud go over the cloths rod, and then multiple compartments hang down. I brought pastic containters (left them stacking inside one another in luggage) and could put hair accessories, needle and thread, toiletries etc, and i could see them easily.

i also brought extra hangers and cloths pins..which really helped with drying wet bathing suits and towels.

bunnykoko
11-01-2009, 06:44 AM
In addition to all the suggestions here, my husband and I always carry a list of current medications and a list of emergency contacts.

mousetrapper
11-01-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree on the ziploc bags. I prefer the true "ziploc" type where you can zip the top vs. pinch the top shut. I take all sizes and particularly like the really big ones to pack and protect certain clothes items or to keep shoes together and away from clothes.

I always take extra bags and also use one to put anything in that I don't want to get wet at the parks - camera, cell phone, money, tissues, etc.

Also the quart-sized ones are a must if you're flying. Check the TSA regulations.

The bags also help on the return trip home for dirty or wet clothes.

The bandaid blister blocker stick is great too, although my problem has been that I never know where I'm going to get a blister on my foot so it's hard to predict where I should apply it. Once you have a blister, moleskin works better.

Gold Bond powder is great for any chafing issues! Again, just be sure to use it before you get any chafing, if you know where you usually have that problem. :blush:

A few other tips others may have mentioned:

-Travel size air freshener for bathroom use (when you're sharing one room with three other people for several days, believe me - this can be a real life saver! :-o)
-Hand sanitizer
-Antibacterial wipes
-Travel size detergent for washing clothes in the sink
-Flip-flops to use as slippers in your room and by the pool (easy to pack)
-Extra contact lenses and cases (it's no fun to lose a contact on Kali River Rapids!)
-Hair ties for long hair
-Small journal for recording WDW memories

E-OR
11-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I love reading these kinds of posts. Have picked up several wonderful ideas from them. A few things that I always bring:

1. Ziplock bags for keeping things dry on water rides or the occasional rain storm.
2. $-Store rain ponchos for the storms
3. Wax ear plugs for sleeping
4. A strip for plugging in all our cell phones
5. ...And most of all making all those plans but being able to throw them out the window and just wing it when necessary! (without getting upset)

Lakin
11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Lock'n Locks

LVT
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Moleskin, cut it at home and carry lot of bits in ziplock.
Shoe holders are great. Use for individual's toiletry spaces.
Duct tape on foot areas that are excessively blisterprone.
Contact cases for tiny items like tylenol or hearing aid batteries.

nyobabe2
11-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Lock'n Locks

What are they??

I got a great tip to get a coupon organizer and in each compartment you put different things like: bandaids, neosporin, antacid, cough strips, moleskin etc...
It made it so easy to just pull it out of the bag and have everything I needed at my fingertips!

goofygirl67
11-07-2009, 07:33 AM
If the Lock n' Locks are what I think they are, they are just like tupperware but they snap down on all 4 sides for a really great seal. They also come in many different sizes.

Lakin
11-07-2009, 09:11 AM
If the Lock n' Locks are what I think they are, they are just like tupperware but they snap down on all 4 sides for a really great seal. They also come in many different sizes.

:yes:

DisneyPrincess21
11-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Lock'n Locks

I Love lock & locks, what do you usually use them for on your trip?

Lakin
11-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I Love lock & locks, what do you usually use them for on your trip?

I normally just use them for smaller snacks. I carried a small little thing of oyster crackers (that were a joy to eat in line), and my mom got a little bit of a bigger one to hold carrots. For some reason, she gets carrot cravings when traveling. Also, this upcoming trip, we're going to use a larger Lock'n Lock to hold special Kay cereal for my mom and I, because we love that stuff.

Janmac
11-07-2009, 11:21 PM
On our September 2008 trip I got overheated in AK on two different days. My niece had stocked up on cold packs from Walgreens before we left for Disney. Each time she broke open one and stuck it on the back of my neck. Instant relief. Except the first time she surprised me, as I didn't realize I was getting overheated.

I really like the Cool Max or wicking socks for avoiding blisters. And wearing my Birkenstocks.

I don't recall the name, and I think it's similar to moleskin, but when I was bowling I occasionally got a horrible blister on the side of my thumb. Usually during a tournament. There is a sort of fuzzy kind of sticky-on-one-side tan stuff that saved the day several times. You could go into a bowling alley and ask what they've got for blisters. Some have a liquid that gets painted on - not good. This other kind of stuff, similar to moleskin I think, is awesome. It stays on for days, the wound heals under it (which doesn't always happen with band aids) and there's no pain. If it works for a thumb in a bowling ball it ought to work great for a foot in a shoe.

Another gadget we like at Disney is a stroller. When we have no kids young enough for a stroller we suffer because we have to carry all our water and extra jackets and that kind of stuff ourselves. On our next trip, my niece's daughter will be five, but we're still planning to bring the stroller, whether she rides in it or not. :D

Another nifty thing I discovered was not bringing much stuff into the parks. If I can't put it in a pocket - except for the water bottle - I probably don't need it. It's nice not to go through that line to have your fanny pack/purse/whatever looked into. Of course, if you need a diaper bag, then you have to go through the security line, but then the diaper bag can go in the stroller.

Jan

disneyfan328
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I didn't see this one posted and it truly saved us on the last trip

a power cord (some call them surge protectors) When you have a family of 4 or 5 with 3 cell phones, laptop, battery charger for the digital camera etc there is no where near enough outlets in the room. We were so glad that someone told us to bring one when we went. we would have been in trouble without it.

I also agree with all of the other posters ziploc baggies, band aids ect all that stuff is necessary. while I only went with a back pack one day we have too much to carry with my and my sons medications to not have at least some of it with us so we packed most into a backpack which we put into a locker - that way we only had to carry it from resort to park and back and just in case we needed anything it was there for us.