PDA

View Full Version : ToT fans w/"heart condition"?

Janmac
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
We're visiting WDW with newbies in January 2010. They are a married couple, early to mid-50s, but they've both had mild heart attacks, hers was a few years ago, his was this summer. He was back at work within a week.

Question is: how many folks with similar history avoid the attractions that say not for folks with heart conditions?

When our niece was pregnant, she avoided any attraction with a height restriction (except Kilimanjaro Safaris which isn't as rough as the unpaved county road in front of our house :D ).

For those with heart attacks or heart conditions, is this a rule of thumb you use? Or do you experience some attractions?

Thanks!

Jan

stitchaholic
10-26-2009, 01:28 PM
i am not sure why anyone with a heart condition would be willing to take risks ,if the signs are in place, it is for a reason, and although the rides are fun,i do not think it is worth the risk.

BMan62
10-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Although I do not suffer from these afflictions (as yet, but family history says I will,) I would stress that if there postings or announcements to avoid these rides/attractions, just avoid them.

Last thing you want is to take a risk and lose!

DVC2004
10-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I have to agree- I don't think any attraction is worth that sort of risk. I would say they should consult thier doctors pre-trip and go from there. No worries, there are many other attractions they can enjoy.

MNNHFLTX
10-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Everyone's medical condition is different. For some people the problem can be fixed (such as a mildly blocked coronary artery) and in that case they are usually able to do pretty much anything. In other cases, the problem is not so much fixed as managed with medication, etc. Really the only one who can advise whether those rides are safe for any particular person is their doctor.

BigThunderFan
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
All I know is my heart stopped beating for a couple seconds last time I rode it, and I KNEW the drop was coming.

I wouldn't risk anything if I had a condition...:(

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
We have a brother who has a heart condition and he would not risk it at all to do TOT. He is really a funny guy and called his Dr. from the front of TOT to see if he could not ride it. (they are good friends). He told her it looked like so much fun! She scolded him and then laughed at him because, she knows he is crazy! Seriously..... he has to have nitro on him and although he is humorous he knows BETTER than to take any stupid risk. There are so many other wonderful things that he enjoys at WDW. He knows he is not missing ANYTHING!!

You will still have an amazing trip!! Your trip is what you make it!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
If something does happen, Disney can't be held liable because they note on everything if you have a pre-existing heart condition you shouldn't ride. I'd hesitate to say it's necessary on EVERYTHING they post it on, but something like Tower of Terror heavily warrants it.

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-26-2009, 08:59 PM
They really should check with their cardiologists.
I had an angioplasty last July for 2 almost totally blocked arteries (right after our WDW trip) and one of the first questions I had for my cardiologist afterwards was whether I would still be able to ride the coasters and ToT.

After he got done laughing and told me that NO ONE had ever asked him that before he got serious and said that it would be fine but that every case is different.

But then he also said that those signs are just company's way of trying protect themselves in case something DOES go wrong.

We are heading back in January and you can be sure I will be riding!!! :D

Janmac
10-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks, Beth, DawnDenise&Diane, and hubbyofadisneyholic (have fun in January!).

I think perhaps a better question might have been what sorts of reasons would there be behind the cautions for certain rides for folks with "heart conditions". It certainly helped my niece to understand what the dangers were when pregnant.

Hopefully our two new members of our group have doctors who are familiar with the attractions at WDW and can give them meaningful advice.

BTW, my niece tells me they both have (had?) clogged arteries.

Jan