PDA

View Full Version : Disney Expands 'Baby Einstein' Refunds

Melanie
10-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Disney Expands Its "Baby Einstein" Refunds

(AP) -The Walt Disney Co. is expanding a refund program for its "Baby Einstein" videos for toddlers in response to challenges about the legitimacy of its educational claims.

The company upgraded a customer satisfaction program beginning last month by explicitly offering cash refunds on any DVDs bought from June 5, 2004 to Sept. 4.

Buyers can also exchange DVDs for a "Baby Einstein" book or music CD, or receive 25 percent off a "Little Einstein" product. The offer expires March 4.

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, a Boston-based advocacy group, claimed "victory" Friday in its years-long battle to protect consumers from falsely believing the videos could, for example, teach words to babies under 2 years old.

"We believe that this is an acknowledgment that baby videos are not educational," said Susan Linn, a psychologist and director of the campaign.

The campaign complained to the Federal Trade Commission in May 2006, saying claims made on "Baby Einstein" packaging and the Web site were not supportable by scientific research.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children under 2 years old watch no television or other "screen media." Experts say early television viewership can lead to attention problems, reports CBS News correspondent Hari Sreenivasan.

At the time, the Disney subsidiary removed some wording from the packages and took down testimonials that claimed educational benefits from the videos on the Baby Einstein Web site.

The commission decided in December 2007 to take no formal action after investigating the matter.

Unsatisfied, the campaign brought its material to a group of Boston lawyers, which threatened a class-action lawsuit against Disney in a letter to CEO Robert Iger in June 2008.

The upgraded refund policy dates back to the same date requested in the letter by the lawyers, led by attorney Edward Broderick, but it's unclear if the move settles the threatened lawsuit.

Broderick did not return messages seeking comment. A Disney spokesman could not clarify if the refund upgrade removed the threat of further legal action.

In a release, The Baby Einstein Company called the campaign's statements "peppered with revisionist history," and emphasized that its consumer satisfaction program has been clearly identified on its Web sites since 1999 and on packaging since 2008.

The company was founded in 1997 by Julie Ainger-Clark, a mother and former educator, and was bought by Disney in 2001.

offwego
10-27-2009, 01:29 PM
As an FYI, in Canada it is only on product purchased in the last 60 days.

Goofster
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
What silly nonsense...

BrerGnat
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
What silly nonsense...

What you said!

wire0monkey
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
What silly nonsense...

First of all, I used Baby Einstein videos with my kids and they loved them. I'm not making a claim in this class action and I'm not worried about my kids' development.

On the other hand, Disney isn't paying because the claims are nonsense. Disney has some of the toughest lawyers around and they don't pay on nuisance claims. They're paying because they have a false advertising problem. The problem with these videos is that they were heavily marketed as being educational by the original company and then by Disney. The studies now show that the use of baby videos including Baby Einstein videos for 1 hour a day causes a language delay in babies. They have 8-10 less words (which is a lot for a baby!) than other babies. It looks like they catch up eventually, but the videos are clearly NOT educational, despite being sold as educational.

A Disney product that made false claims and may have harmed children is pure poison for the Disney brand name.

The results of the study are bad enough that I wonder if Disney will stop marketing these completely, or if they will simply advise parents that they're for entertainment only and should be used in small doses.

BrerGnat
10-30-2009, 05:21 PM
How do you define and then quantify "educational"though, when it comes to a baby product? You don't know how smart your baby is in the beginning. It's not like you can give an IQ test to an infant and measure the impact of watching the videos. The study about language came out a LONG time ago. And, frankly I think it's bull. My older son had a speech delay and he didn't watch ANY tv until he was almost 2. Those videos got my son talking a HUGE vocabulary because he is a visual learner.

Joannelet
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I too think this whole thing is ridiculous.
These DVD's are great learning tools to go along with what they are learning at home/day care etc. from parents, teachers, experience...
DVD's like this are fine for a teaching aide....
I don't think just because it says educational means that my child is going to learn everything from a DVD. Do parents actually believe this? I don't know why they are being sued over this...its ridiculous. Thats like someone suing sesame street for their child not learning the abc's since its also an educational program.
I don't understand this....and i don't understand why anyone would want to sell the dvd's back....
My child enjoys them and he can learn from them along with me teaching him and talking about what we are seeing in the vid....

DisneyDog
11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Ridiculous. We had all those DVDs when my DS7 was a baby. He loved them. And I can attest that he definitely did not have a language or vocabulary delay. He started talking extremely early -- and hasn't stopped talking since.

LibertyTreeGal
11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I bought these for my twins not because they were educational but because Andy had some mild brain damage and I know that music stimulates both sides of the brain. So, for me, they were wonderful, but I never really thought of them as educational, per se.