PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Center -for young children?

minnie-mouse
10-25-2009, 09:22 AM
What would you reccommend we definitely see and do in Epcot Center with 4 and 6yr old girls? Is there anything to stay away from for that age group?

Any suggestions would be so helpful!

Disney4us2
10-25-2009, 11:11 AM
On our first visit to WDW. DD was 5. She loved Epcot. Her favorites were: Imagination with Figment. The Living Seas, The land, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, and the kidcot stops. We also got a passport at one of the stores and got them stamped and signed at all the countries in WS. In WS she liked Maelstrom(sp?) in Norway and the boat ride in Mexico. She also liked going into Innoventions. In the summer it was a great way to cool off.

For dining, we had a dinner at Akershaus in Norway with the princesses. We also at at Teppan Edo (2nd trip) and she loved it.

If your 4yo is not tall enough to go on some of the attractions, you can do the child swap.

We stayed away from Mission space, Jessica was not tall enough on our first visit.... and I am a chicken on some things.:secret:

We never got to see Illuminations, but I have heard it is fantastic.

I am sure there will be others to come along and fill in what I may have forgotten or omitted.

Have a great trip:mickey:

Hair_Razor
10-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I really think Marci covered it. but I agree my daughter was just 5 when we went and she kept saying her favourite park was the golf ball one. Just to add to the living see's your girls will probably love Turtle Talk with Crush, so cute. As for the World Showcase I think the passport idea makes it a little more exciting for little ones. Of course mine like it regardless. Have fun!

mdhiggin
10-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Innoventions has a little velcro frog they can dress and keep. There is also a game with a piggy bank they may enjoy. We had a lot of trouble with Kim Possible for this age. The older kids loved it, but it was kind of frustrating trying to help the little ones.

tesslor
10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Don't forget about the jumping fountains. Somewhere over by Honey I shrunk the audience. and the light up color changing walkway somewhere outside of innovations. I am sure someone can tell you exactly where they are, I let my husband lead the way! These 2 non-rides are among my childrens favorite things.

eel
10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
We really enjoy Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. I would be careful however, before doing it with a young kid who may not like the dark or loud noises. Took our dd to see it the very first thing when we got to epcot and it scared her to death. She was pretty well done for the rest of the day. She has seen it since and thinks it's a hoot but that first time when she was 4.....oh boy.

BigThunderFan
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Our daughter was not quite 2 when we went last and she loved the Universe of Energy. I think that was mostly because her 5yo brother was HUGE into dinosaurs and she wanted to be just like him.:mickey:
If she is 40" tall then I recommend all of the rides at FW (except Mission Space). None are very scary or too rough except possibly Test Track, but we had no problems on that.

wdwfansince75
10-26-2009, 08:31 AM
DGD#3 was 6 YO when she discovered Soaring....And it immediately became her favorite! She also loved Test Track, Spaceship Earth and JIYI. Nemo had't opened then, but on her last trip, at 8, she loved it.

Most of our grandkids enjoyed everything in EPCOT, including the shows in WS. The only issue at that age is the amount of walking. Always see lots of really tired kids at EPCOT...or really tired parents carrying them....consider an early dinner...We found that having a first seating for the Garden Grill dinner is a great break, and the characters made the meal special.

BelleKP
10-26-2009, 09:27 AM
My DD was 3 the last time we were at EPCOT and she loved it! As others have mentioned, everything in Future World is fun for that age . . . although, I would avoid Honey I Shrunk the Audience (unless they are VERY brave and don't mind noise), and Mission Space.
For World Showcase, I would highly reccomend picking up a passport in one of the stores and getting it stamped around the world. My DD has done this twice and the last time she also made a mask. At each Kidcot station they added a diecut to the mask, representing that country. She still has it in her room.
This year (DD5 and DD9months) we will do the passport again, and we're going to do something different. I'm going to take a picture of my daughters in each country wearing hats . . . 'Hats Around the World' is what we will call it!
Have fun! :thumbsup:

bruin1344
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
at that age, i would be bored with America, Canada, France, and China movies

i think they would like spaceship earth, mexico ride, journey into imagination, and living seas

ajpa
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Epcot must do for that age - Soarin, Turtle Talk with Crush, and possibly Test Track. The only one to stay away from would be Mission Space.

Aside from all the neat rides in Epcot, World showcase is great for meeting Princesses. Definitely get a passport & mask.
Try and eat at Akershus, and you will probably see Mulan in China, Jasmine & Aladdin in Morocco, Esmeralda in France, Mary Poppins in England.

Goes4FastPass
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
and eat at (Norway) Akershus!

Also hit "Caballeros" boat ride in Mexico and Malestrom before dinner with the princesses at Akershus.

WelshieLover
10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
My boys were 2 & 4 the first time we went to WDW. We were staying at the BC then and EPCOT was their first park to visit. They are now 19 & 21. EPCOT is still their favorite park. We were lucky it was not a crowded day and they loved exploring all the nooks and crannies in the countries before we even got to Future World. I have some of the best photos in Morocco. I think your daughters will love it. I would suggest going to EPCOT first then the other "fun" parks that way they will really appreciate it.

luvkatiebug
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
My girls, who were 3 and 7 the last time we went, loved EPCOT. Besides all of the things everyone has mentioned, I think its just slower paced - in a good way. They have to wait in so many lines in MK, that being able to wander around the Living Seas or the Imagination pavillion is just more relaxing (maybe that's why I like it!). I used to feel like we had to do EVERYTHING on every trip, and now I realize its okay to let them run around somewhere for a while. Mine also like to meet all the people in the different countries and have them sign the passports you can buy. :mickey:

Lynn J Mc
10-30-2009, 12:19 PM
My niece loved Epcot when she was 3 and 4 and some of the most simple things. She danced around a kiosk that played music in France. Walked through the garden in France smelling the flowers. Loved the train in Germany. Back then you could get on the viking ship in Norway but i'm pretty sure that has changed. She also loved the drum players in the trading village.
Sometimes what kids like is not always what we think they will like.

TinkerBell-Bell
10-30-2009, 06:13 PM
At aged 4, I can say that I really enjoyed the whole experience. I would say though to definitely avoid Mission Space and possibly Test Track, depending on how brave they are. Also, if they are nervous children maybe not Honey I Shrunk the Audience, but at the same time it can be very entertaining.

As for the World Showcase, going to the passport things is always memorable for the children, and I loved my mask I got to design. However I would avoid the movies unless you know that they are actually interested in that country and have a good attention span.

In the evening our family usually sit to watch the fireworks by Canada, just because we find it's a good view and not always too busy. I would say that at that age you will also have to expect a lot of breaks to sit down and have a drink, as there is a lot of walking, but then again you have to everywhere in disney. You could time one of these breaks with visiting Club Cool, and get complimentary drinks as well, which, if your kids are adventurous with flavours, will be rather entertaining

Joannelet
10-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I dont know if anyone before me said it I kind of quickly scrolled through but I wanted to mention that age group will probably enjoy doing the Kim Possible event around World Showcase.
Its a lot of fun and you work together to find clues.

TikiGoddess
11-02-2009, 06:24 AM
We just went to WDW with our 4 and 6 yr old girls. They loved Epcot!

We rode these multiple times:
The Seas with Nemo
Turtle Talk with Crush
Soarin'
Imagination (and played in the area after the ride)
Spaceship Earth (6 yr old loved this one)
Mexico ride
performers around WS

We did these once:
Universe of Energy
Test Track

Plenty of things to see at Epcot. Have a great time!!

Kathy