PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Occupied During the Drive

MushuGrl
10-24-2009, 09:38 PM
In January, my sister and I are taking our first ever Sister's Only trip, especially to celebrate said sister's burfday.

We will be driving from Tennessee, stopping off for two days in St. Augustine before heading on to a week of "home".

Here's my questions..we got two adults (in age only - one of my favorite CM's called us "life-enhanced children") First day drive is going to be about ten hours...what do you do to keep occupied? (Besides our Disney CDs and the highly sophisticated conversations, such as just who WAS ruling the country while Aurora and family were snoozing????)

tinklover
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
We leave on Friday to drive down from Md. we go straight thru on our way down. we will be leaving at 2 am. 2 adults and 2 children 5 and 6. we listen to music. the girls watch Dvds we talk. we play a game on who can spot the farthest license plate. I won last year when a motorcycle pulled up next to us at the last rest stop before I-4 with a plate from Alaska. you can make up some type of driving bingo , even though one of you will be behind the wheel the other can honestly keep score for the driver. you can have on there stuff form tv like Jeff dunham drives a powder blue prius so have that as one of the things to find while on the road. does that make sense?

Joannelet
10-24-2009, 11:03 PM
LOL i was going to mention the license plate game too!! and you get NO points for the seeing a license plate for the state that you are in.
I'm sure you can look up traveling games on the internet also.
I know we have also played I'm going to a picnic and bringing.....
(yes I've played this with adults too) LOL

rubato
10-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I love books on CD when I'm traveling. I can usually get all the way to Denver from KC (which is where I travel between most often) on one good, long book. If you can find something you both like, that might be good!:)

Mickey'sGirl
10-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I love books on CD when I'm traveling. I can usually get all the way to Denver from KC (which is where I travel between most often) on one good, long book. If you can find something you both like, that might be good!:)
I agree -- Audio books are a great idea!

What about going to the bookstore or library and getting some travel books on the states you are travelling through. You can read along while you are seeing the same thing!

Itchy
10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Of all the trips that I have made to WDW I have driven except one, which I flew.

Of all the trips I dont think that there was any boredom. There was always something to see new, searching for radio stations ( no xm ) and just converstation about getting to the world again. You will be suprised how quickly time will go by. You will be catching up with things that have been going on with you lifes, ect.

Happy driving:mickey:

MushuGrl
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Great ideas! Thanks all!

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
You're lucky enough to be starting in a fairly nice area to drive through. I don't know which route you're taking, though. I'm from Michigan so I just take 75 pretty much the whole way and let me tell you, most of Ohio and anything past Atlanta for me is pretty boring. Big expanses of flat nothing for quite a while. I manage to do it but it's not a drive I'd want to take very often.

MushuGrl
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
First time we went, we drove, but it was our first time, so the excitement kept us from getting bored. Second time, we rode with friends. Every time since, we've flown. This will be our first time driving since 2005.

And yep, we take 75 too! We used to drive as far as Macon, Ga, which is about 8 hours for us (we're coming from extreme West Tennessee) but this year we're going to drive as far as we can the first night, looking at stopping around Valdosta.