PDA

View Full Version : Can we go home now mumma -- Day 3

mudpuppysmom
10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Day 3 started out just fine, like the other days had, but things are brewing and we wake up to DS#1 having a slight fever -- but it's doable b/c I didn't make a big deal of him having a slight fever and he didn't complain about anything, so I didn't suggest anything -- which if you do that with him, he'll automatically say "I'm sick, I can't".

So off we go to get some Motrin/Tylenol as I have only a few in the tolietry bag.....while I'm there I decide to get an ice pack too (DS#1 likes to sleep with one on his tummy when he gets sick). So now we're off to AK for what I'm hoping to be a great day. DS#1 LOVES AK, we usually spend the ENTIRE day there and then another half day.

As we are walking towards the safari to grab a FP DS#1 tells me he's not feeling so hot, but again I brush it off and feel his head, which is getting warmer......I start to get a little concerned, but he hasn't said "I'm sick we have to leave", which he'll do, I know he will or I'll have to tell him when he sits on a bench to take a break, whichever comes first. We grab our FP and by this time it's 11:30, so I decide that we might check Tusker House to see if we can get in early for our 12:15 ADR. I walk up to the podium and the CM tells me to go around the corner to check in -- I forgot until this moment that you had to do that and when I turned the corner the MOB was there.....By the time I got to the front of the line it was noon! People were having problems checking in or something! The CM told me it was too early to check in -- Uh, it's 15 minutes.....you tell me to come 20 min early and here I am and now you tell me it's too early?!?!?!? DS#2 decides at this moment he's ready for his meltdown and begins -- DH walks him around to calm him, which works for about 40 seconds.....so now we're a show -- we're the only people with a screaming kid -- we apparently have waited too long to do something with him looks dart at us, but I ignore them as DS#2 does this b/c as it turns out HE too is not feeling real swell. We get in and our server takes our drink orders and notices that we have an allergy with us. She summons Chef Ricardo who comes out and looks puzzled, which I'm really not worried about, b/c we have been here before and I sorta knew already what we'd feed DS#2 -- I made this ADR knowing he'd be able to eat here and also the other night at AKL's Saana without too much problem. So we chat for a moment and then he suggests we walk thru the buffet......well this was the only place that had I not already known what was there I would have been unsure if I wanted to feed DS#2 anything.....I specifically stated no meat, soy or dairy and I get told he can "eat the chicken with curry"......uh, he can't eat chicken I say -- "oHHHHHH yeeah, yeah, yeah, OK." OK! Chicken is the main ingredient dude!!! I only had a few questins as to what the rice was cooked in and also something else....as long as they cook things in water, we're fine, if it's beef or chicken stock he can't have it -- it wo:beer:uld need to be vegetable stock. SO, I loaded up the plate with hummus and naan and pita bread, basmati rice and fruit and boy was he happy! Here is where I suggested to DS#1 that we lake it slower......he decided to eat very little at lunch -- usually the first indicator that kids are under the weather. After lunch we went on the safari and our guide Kim was great! We saw few animals though -- one encounter was great though -- the rhinos ran right up to our car and then trotted on by -- later I realized they were going in to eat when we took the train to Rafiki's. We had gotten baby swap tickets since DS#2 was sleeping but when we got off DH didn't want to go again, and we had skipped the Pangani Forest as DS#1 said he didn't want to go -- a BIG indicator that he was not feeling well. He wanted instead to go to Rafiki's.....so he and I did and when we got over there he just walked thru like a zombie. At this point I feel his head and he's very warm.....on the train ride back over he suggests we go back to the hotel for a nap! This from the kid who could live at AK! So I hook back up with DH and DS#2 is still asleep.....I tell him we're stopping at first aid to get a temp reading......we go in and the nurse gives me a throwaway thermometer plastic strip thingie.....we take his temp and she reads the thing (It was weird to look at it, you had to count dots or something) and she tells me "he's normal".....she looks at the puddle of a kid on the floor and I insist this is not normal.....she sees a water bottle in his hand as says, let's take it under his arm....which turns out to be 102.8 -- yep J you just bought yourself a nap and a call to Dr. T back home....so we muddle our way out of the park with a few bench stops along the way -- he faded fast! Back at the homestead I knew the hotel would not be much help as we might be ON Disney property, but this was NOT a Disney hotel.....so I call our ped and he tells me to feed him Motrin/Tylenol and see how he is in a few hours. I decide to call our insurance to find out where we can go to seek care just in case we need to go to a dr. Member services tells me to go to Centra Care (the nurse at AK had suggested this also and given me a brochure -- complete with "they'll pick you up and take you back free of charge" -- well, let me tell you nothing is "free" about Centra Care! It was told to me by our insurance that yes we could go tthere and a $20 copay would be needed -- so we later drive to Centra Care when his fever hit 103.5....after "Betty" the GPS tells me the place is on the right side of the road, I see it on the LEFT side, so I need to turn around....I'm met at Centra Care with a 2 1/2 hr wait and oh by the way we don't accept your insurance! Your copay will be $237. I say what about one of your other locations -- is the wait less? I'm TOLD Kissimmee has a 30-45 mintue wait AND their pay OOP is less (yeah, tourist trap at LBV). So I go out and call Kissimmee and am told NO, it's a 2 1/2 hr wait there too! I trude back in with DS in tow and he's really whiney at this point and I'm frustrated, but I fill out the paperwork on their computer, which everyone else is filling out actual papers, so I'm confused here....they call my name after a short wait and now tell me that they will collect my copay now (I guess you are a prisoner then, until you are seen!) Now however the copay is $450! I say give me my drivers license and debit card we're leaving and going to the ER! I think they wanted me to pay for everyone's "free" shuttle ride for the week!!! Back in the car, DS is telling me all he wants to do is lay down and take a nap, so I call the peed back home and he tells me to do just that -- watch him, let him sleep and try to keep him hydrated and call him in the morning. Back at the homestead DS falls asleep immediately upon hitting the bed -- wakes up three hours later and wants popsicles! We had not eaten dinner yet, so DH tells me to pick up some sandwiches while i"m out. I decide that Earl of Sandwich will be dinner. After an argument in the parking lot at DTD with a man who would not budge out of his space that I went around and another guy who sat in his car on the corner of the aisle not moving so I can squeeze past I park and go in grab sandwiches and am on my way to Walmart! I figured I might as well complete my tour with a stop there, since I had been to Target, Walgreens and now Walmart is on my list! In Walmart DS#2 and I pick up a thermometer, popsicles and a case of water as we blew threw the first case in less than three days! I got the very last popsicles on the shelf -- that tells me everyone in the area must be sick! At the register -- take this for what it's worth -- the cashier tells the lady in front of me he used to be an Imagineer for Disney and he hears they will be taking Test Track out and replacing it with a new exciting ride. Ok, dude, you used to be an Imagineer at Disney and now you're working at Walmart as a cashier?? OK. Back home DS#1 eats two mini popsicles and crashes agian -- I stuff the remaining 22 popsicles and the ice pack in the freezer portion of our dorm size fridge.......We eat our sandwiches and DS#2 eats some hummus I had made for him and half a PBJ -- we all decide it's time for bed!

JoDisney
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
To be honest, if your child woke up with a slight fever, I think that would have been an indication not to venture out to a park. It would have been beneficial for the child to stay in the room. If a problem escalates, you are at your room and can take the proper action. Also, many are concerned about illnesses at this time of the year and exposing others to an illness is not a good idea. There are many to consider here. That is how I feel.

Darbylew
10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Sorry your child was sick but I have to agree
with jodisney if my child was sick I would not
go to the parks. :ill:

mouseketeer mom
10-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh this is just awful how sick your son got. Talk about bad timing. We had a similar issue on two of our past vacations and it sure makes things difficult. All the money, all the planning, and then your child gets sick. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

DisneyBarb
10-24-2009, 11:23 AM
My daughter got an ear infection the first year at Disney and we had the free shuttle to Centre Care and a 3 hour wait so I feel you pain... Its not easy being sick away from home. We were able to get reimbursed from our insurance company for most of our payment...

As far as taking them into the parks, a slight fever is different for every kid... my son can get a slight fever once in a while and be tired but bouncing off the walls by the afternoon.. its a tough call but your the only one who can make that decision based on your personal history...

dephenn
10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope your son is feeling better. I know how much it takes to plan and cost for a family vacation, but his health is paramount.

SBETigg
10-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh, so sorry! What a day. I hope people felt better soon.

faline
10-24-2009, 03:13 PM
With children, it's hard to know if a fever is an indication of an illness or just a fleeting issue that seems to have no real cause.

Sorry you're needing to deal with a sick child on vacation! That's certainly no fun at all!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm so sorry your son got sick at Disney! It can be so hard to tell how the day is going to go when they first wake up, isn't it?

Sounds like you're doing everything to take care of him, hope the rest of the trip is better.

pdrlkr
10-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry about your son. :(

lighteningqueen
10-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh I feel for you my daughter is a nurse and works in a Pediatrician office and that is the first sign of the swine flu. They get temps and stay wioth temps. Not so much anything else. He could have it and there you were out in the parks when he had a temp which is when you are contagious. You need him seen now. Children are dying from this and it worries me that he is having this and it not going away with Tylenol. He needs the tamma flu shot. Please get him checked out. My daughter has seen tons of cases and one came in blue and not breathing. not to scare you but for children this is serious.

mudpuppysmom
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM
With children, it's hard to know if a fever is an indication of an illness or just a fleeting issue that seems to have no real cause.

Sorry you're needing to deal with a sick child on vacation! That's certainly no fun at all!

Thank you......he does NOT have swine flu and I'm not going to defend my decisions. I was guided by my sons peed and my sons own feeling, not my own need to have fun, b/c this vacation was by far one for the record books.

princessgirls
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh I do feel your pain!

I was the one who got sick on our last vacation, did the "minute clinic" which was a waste of time and money, and they could do nothing to help me, as they didn't believe in antibiotic treatment. Still struggling with fever for a few days, my doctor from home prescribed antibiotics and cough syrup for the nasty cough I had. When I look at our pictures, I looked so pasty and awful...
When I returned home, I had many trips to the doctor as it turned out I had pneumonia.
Hope your son started to feel better!
Sorry, he didn't enjoy his day at AK.
Thanks for reporting the good, bad, and ugly.
Julie:mickey:

lighteningqueen
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
No One was putting you down on this matter. It is just a statement. My daughter is a Nurse and a very good one that works for one of the best. This IS the case when they are bringing them in. Tested and all. I just stated in my case what the symptoms are for others to see. This is not a vomiting or diarehea flu neither is the plain flu. Just fevers. Your his mother and also no one said you were trying to save a vacation here. I am sure none of us would have left, hoping it was just a fluke . I know for a fact I will be germ- xing every thing and every time I touch anything when we go in Dec. Just think of all the people who touch the railing, bars on the rides etc etc. It does not have to be the flu to catch out there and I for one am going to do all that I can do to keep from getting sick. Usually every year I get that coughing bronchitas thing and this year I have not gotten it so far. I am being more causious this year and it is paying off so far knock on wood.

faline
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Let's be sure we all keep on track here. Folks, in general, are pretty sensitive right now especially with all the news about H1N1 but this discussion forum is not for discussing this, or any other, specific illness.

This forum is for trip reports so let's focus on that. Also keep in mind that Intercot's terms of service do not allow any personal attacks. While not everyone may not agree with a course of action taken by someone during the course of their vacation, we need to abstain from any comments that can be construed as an attack.

This was an unfortunate incident that occurred during vacation which was resolved by the original poster by consulting with her child's physician. Now...let's get back to discussing trip reports!

KylesMom
10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Certainly not the day you expected! :( My DS, who's usually healthy as a horse, always seems to have one "down" day at Disney each trip where he gets sick, and then is fine the rest of the trip. Like you, we usually let him set the tempo, and if he says "go", we do. We've been fortunate that it's been nothing worse than a 12-24 hour bug - or extreme motion sickness. I'm sorry you had to deal with not only both boys being down, but the debacle with the insurance and medical facilities as well.

At least there was some comical relief at the end of the day with the Wal-Mart cashier who used to be an Imagineer! :D

DizNee143
10-27-2009, 12:41 PM
aww..so sorry he wasnt feeling well...at least you guys were able to keep him up beat for part of the day..sorry for all the chaos it was with trying to see a doctor..hope he was feeling better in no time! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh that's a bummer, nobody wants to be sick at Disneyworld....:ill: