PDA

View Full Version : 6 year old's First Visit

disneykid@hrt
10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Okay so we are stealing my Step Son away for 7 days in the most Magical Place on Earth!! WHoot-Whoot!

Can anyone recommend must-do's for a six year old boy? He's really into video games- aren't they all?!?

We've told him we're taking him to DW and he doesn't really know what it is. I plan on showing him the vacation planning DVD next time he's here- but how else can we get him ready? His mother is being less than cooperative. ( A bee with a really bad itch.):thedolls:

I have a dinner at TRex, Mickey's Backyard BBQ, and a Fantasmic Dinner all with him in mind.

What else guys? I want this to be really special for him- who knows if we'll get to bring him again.

Thanks for the help!:mickey: 79 Days!

Strmchsr
10-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Depends on his interests. There are many special activities for kids which are listed here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/specactivities.asp) in Info Central. My DS did the Bush Camp and loved it.

However, since this is his first trip (and maybe only for a while from what you said) I honestly wouldn't plan a thing. You have no way of knowing what will really grab him. Every six-year-old is different. So, I think the most magical experience you can give him is to plan very little and let him dictate the magic. He'll have the most fun not being rushed but just being able to explore and experience things as he happens upon them.

Iluvpooh
10-23-2009, 06:20 PM
We took my 6 year old nephew last year and his two favorite rides were Test Track and Dinosaur. He loved the Boneyard, Philharmagic, Indiana Jones show, and Star Tours. Every child is different, I'm sure you will find something he will love. My BinLaw kept telling him things like you don't want to go to WDW, it is for babies and girls and he had the mind set when he got there that he wouldn't enjoy it, but he loved it and is going back with us this year.:cool: He is already talking about Space Mountain and Tower of Terror. (he was too scared to ride last time)

Disneyfun
10-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't know of a child his age that doen't like Turtle Talk with Crush! Make sure that you get there early so that he can get a good seat up front! The more obnoxious he dresses, the more I would think that Crush will notice him and let him ask a question. Innoventions may intrest him with all the video games and hands on experiences they have there as well.

gerald72
10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Take him to Disney Quest for the arcade games!

Madame Leona
10-23-2009, 08:13 PM
If he likes video games, make sure to take him on Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzz Lightyear. Maybe don't over talk it also. If he's feeling pressure from you to like it and his mom to dislike it, he may get a bad vibe. Give him a few hints about what's coming but let him get into it on his own when you get there. I've always found the less expectations I have, the better the time I have.

disneykid@hrt
10-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I've been thinking about not telling him anything and just letting him discover Disney for himself.

I know exactly what to wear for Crush :cool:. And last time I rode TT all I could think about was how much he'll love it!!

TSM and Buzz are big on our list. I'm pretty sure we'll do some DQ. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree a far as the video game thing goes...

I'm so excited!!

dephenn
10-24-2009, 10:57 AM
You could try the Kim Possible mission in Epcot.

Darbylew
10-24-2009, 11:10 AM
I think once he is in the parks he will like all
the rides and shows. Just being in the magic
of WDW will help you know what he would like
to do. Don't forget the new ride at DHS - Toy
Story - he will love this one. :D

phillydan
10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
My son is 7 and he is into video games as well. He loved Test Track (after hating it when he was 5); hated Dinosaur (after loving at when he was 5); loves Big Thunder Mountain & Star Tours (still); hated Tower of Terror (first and only time in August).

Having said that, 2 of his favorite low-tech rides are the TTA and the WDW railroad. Go figure.

So, I guess the point is, no matter what you plan, kids will surprise you. Plan a few things, but be flexible enough to switch gears when needed - you never know how they will react.

Jillirose
10-24-2009, 01:49 PM
All great suggestions, my son has been going since he was 4 and loves Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, etc.

I would just caution you on taking him on the more extreme rides. My husband and older cousin pressured him into Mission Space and Tower of Terror, just becuase he was tall enough. for the next three years, he wouldn't go on any coasters - he may never! So, just go with the flo :mickey:

One more recommendation: foodwise, make sure to hit SciFi Dinner Theatre, always a favorite for my son and daughter.