PDA

View Full Version : It coulda been worse -- Day 1

mudpuppysmom
10-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi all~

We just got back on Wednesday VERY early and wow, what a trip we had!

Each day seemed to have a theme to it and I'll reflect that in the title of the day.

The cast of characters were:
Me: the planner and mom of 2 boys ages 1 and 7
DH: the "nurse" on the trip
DS#1 - -age 7 and a diehard Disney traveller -- park commando normally.
DS#2 -- age 1 -- he's been to Disney once already and did well, but this this trip was a little different for him.

Day 1 was an EARLY day for us -- we got up at home at 3 am to get ready and get to the airport for a 7:00 am flight to MCO. All went well and we arrived at MCO early!

After grabbing our bags from bag claim (which DH told me to pack light this time, HE'D do laundry on Saturday!! Well, I listened and we took far less bags!! Kids clothes were in a carryon and mom and dad's clothes and the rest of the stuff we needed was in another -- carseats in a travel bag -- that was all we had! After grabbing the bags we walked to National's Emerald Aisle and as past trips have been DS#1 picks the car from the Aisle.....this time he picked a BRAND NEW minivan! Go to the booth and check out and we are on our way --Here we gooooooo!!!!!

This trip I decided I wanted to avoid Walmart and try a new "supply" store, so I chose SuperTarget.....This is where "Betty" our GPS went a little haywire -- she tells me to turn right and I do then she "recalculat"es......and we took the long way to SuperTarget on I Drive.....we were in and out in about 20 minutes and now on our way to check into the hotel at 11 am! Of course in true Shades of Green style our room is not ready. DH however had already given our bags to bell services and it was 93 out and we were in jeans! So I went and retrieved shorts for the kids and I as DH said "whatever, it is not that big of a deal"...so he kepts his jeans and other hot clothes on.....he's been to Iraq in summer, so this was probably not hot to him.

NORMALLY we drop our stuff and head to MGM for the first day, but this trip DH suggested we just chill for the first day -- against my better judgement, I agree and after buying our tickets we went to the Poly for lunch. Here we threw the chef a curve ball.....DS#2 has multiple allergies, one of which is meat protein. We did not have an ADR, but Chef Brad came back with rice noodles with ginger and garlic for DS. They were good, but DS wanted no parts of the dish. I told Chef Brad not to hold it personally....DS is 1 and he's a little finicky about eating in the first place.....instead DS#2 ate DS#1's french fries. The rest of us had: Ravioli for DS#1 (with french fries), DH had chicken sandwich with slaw and I had a club sandwich. The meal was good -- and filled us up. For no ADR we walked right in -- even though it was lunch time.

Afterward we walked around a bit and rode the monoral around the loop stopping at the CR to look around. We tried to walk over to BLT, but we were stopped at the edge of the walkway and told we were not allowed to just walk over unless we were staying there. I indicated that we just wanted to see what it was like (we thought about buying) and again I was met with a NO, so we turned around and browsed the shops then back on the monorail to the Poly. We walked back to SOG and just relaxed and in the evening decided to eat at Mangino's.....let me tell ya, the merger with Evergreens is the kiss of death here! Gone is the charm of what Mangino's used to be and Evergreens has taken over! Yes, we got pizza which was fine and DS got chicken fingers, but this is not what Mangino's used to be! Please SOG management change it back!

At this point it's mid evening and we decide to take the kids back to the room to chill and get ready for bed -- we're all tired and tomorrow starts the big trip! We go to BB and MGM.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-23-2009, 10:03 AM
thanks for the report:)

KylesMom
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Uh-oh . . . your report title has me worried. However, your trip started out in fine fashion, especially since you landed early in Orlando & were able to do a walk-up TS for lunch. Looking forward to your next post! :mickey:

mudpuppysmom
10-23-2009, 12:25 PM
We had ups and downs the whole trip, but it could have been much worse than it was.....we are all home and two sick kids, but we will survive and we will return!! Stay tuned for the fun and minor drama!

faline
10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Your title worried me a bit too! Overall, it seems like it was nice start to your trip!

Mickeydream
10-23-2009, 07:33 PM
After such an early start to your day, I'm not surprised that you turned in early. I look forward to the rest of your report. :mickey:

nicster
10-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow! A three a.m. start & the kids did great!! I am ready for the rest when you are.:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
We've been to Kona multiple times for both breakfast and dinner, but never for lunch. I always wanted to try it at lunchtime! What an early start for guys. Sounds like a good start!

pdrlkr
10-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon:

princessgirls
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM
In spite of the ominous title, I think your first day went good.

I was nervous...

Julie:mickey:

DizNee143
10-27-2009, 10:51 AM
i guess any day could be worse than it was..but i really didnt say anything all that bad today!
sounds like a nice start to your vacation!!! :mickey: