PDA

View Full Version : need help

Bethis26fan
10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
1st off let me say I'm not sure where I should post this.

I need help, we are 37 days away from our trip & my cousin's knee is messed up. She's had a Mri & X-rays and they are referring her to another dr, the problem is that she doesn't go to that Dr till Dec 7 the monday after we get back. Her right knee is double the size of her left. We can get a wheel chair that my mom has to take. (just a regular ole wheel chair)

Does anyone have any tips on what we should do. Will we have to pay for a fridge so that she has the freezer for her ice packs (I know it's just the small freezer but it would work) Do you think it's possible to get a ground floor room. She's in limbo right now & doesn't have a dr to talk to about what she should do while we are there.

If anyone could give us any tips on how to deal with this. She so stressed out that she's going to ruin the trip, that I just want to help her know there are options at disney that will make it so she's not in pain or a burden to the rest of us.

BMan62
10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I would say to find another doctor. If there is that much swelling, it may need drained as soon as possible.

I would certainly not want to wait six weeks.

rubato
10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry she's having to deal with this right now. I wish she could get in to the dr. earlier. Weren't they able to tell her anything based on the mri?

It's hard to give advice without a diagnosis. As far as the fridge, I have heard that you can rent them in the values. I don't know how much they cost though. And, you'll definitely need that wheelchair or a scooter. I hope you get some sort of answer before your trip though.

Strmchsr
10-22-2009, 03:41 PM
First, note on her reservation that she needs a ground floor room for medical reasons and that will insure that you get one.

Second, I would suggest that you possibly get an ECV instead of a regular wheelchair if you can afford to rent one. That will enable her to move around more independently and quickly.

I'm going to slide this into our "guests with special needs" area where you can get some good feedback.

Bethis26fan
10-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks Strmchsr, I wasn't sure where to put it.

The only thing the MRI said was she had some torn cartilage, but not a lot. They are sending her to a rheumatologist. It's acutaly my Mom's rheumatologist (we really don't think it's arthritis it's not acting like it)

PETE FROM NYC
10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Call WDW NOW explaining your needs for a ground floor room, but with the elevators you should not have trouble with any floor.
The (free) medical fridge they gave me at Pop last month did not have a freezer. I had to bring my ice packs to luggage services after we returned each night which I felt was inconvenient. The fridges that they rent for I think $10/night are freezer equipped.
I strongly recommend that you rent an ECV from an outside source so cuz can use it at the resort or for shopping,etc. I used Apple Scooters who gave me the best price, after researching a bunch of other places.
I hope I answered what you need.
Enjoy your trip.

Dznygrl79
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Been there done that and its no fun! First as far as the trip I have now done it injured twice (1st a torn knee & broken back) wheel chairs are okay but I prefer a rollator with a seat. Its a fancy walker with hand break a basket and seat. I like it a little better because then you can still feel part of the action but have a seat when you need it! Second as far as the doctor find the best orthopedist your insurance will cover, but that seems an extodunarily long wait, I can understand about 4 weeks for an initial viit but unless the doc you are going to see is the best I wouldn't wait that long.

As far as the fridge you can have one delivered at the value resorts and if you call in advance and let them know its for medical they may not charge you. However I have called in advance both times and once I was charged and once I wasn't but I had to sign the paper saying they can both times. I would also reccommend calling directly to the resort the Monday before you leave and letting them know you will be having an assistive devise with you, they are more willing to help you out when they know in advance.

Have a great trip!