PDA

View Full Version : arriving Jan 1, 2010....

drosenbe
10-21-2009, 09:33 PM
We are arriving at the world on Jan 1st, 2010 (Friday) for 8 days. I expect that the crowds will be pretty high on Fri and Sat, but am I correct in assuming that by Sunday night, we'll be facing very light crowds? There is a Fantasmic on Sunday night, and I am wondering if we will face the same 'Fantasmic night' crowd as usual. I am hoping to catch the 6:30 fantasmic and then head over to the MK for extra magic hours (until 1am)

Also, during the week, do you think that we should still follow touring plans, or can we be more spontaneous (we usually follow the unofficial guide plans and they are usually fantastic)
And insight would be appreciated, if you have been to the world on the Sunday after new years, that is probably a similar type of crowd.

Thanks in advance

ILoveLegos
10-22-2009, 12:12 AM
I can only comment on the 1st Thursday of January onward after New Years Day. Traditionally I've been in WDW on this day for the past 10 or so years. If New Years falls within 3 days of the first Thurday, then I go the 2nd Thursday. Either way I stay in FL for 2 weeks during this time. I choose this time of year for the cooler temps and low attendance levels.

I know from experience that attendance in WDW is very light this time of year, but picks up for the marathon ((mainly volume of people in parks but its not really crowded), if that makes sense) and the MLK holiday (more locals in the parks mainly).

Since you will only be in WDW until the 8th, you should notice the park attendance drop off at about the half-way point of your vacation, maybe sooner, that's when the school aged kiddies have to return to school after winter recess - bright & early Monday morning where I come from! Maybe your Sunday plans will be okay afterall!

As far as touring plans go, I've never used one, my main thought is to not spend the whole day darting from one side of the parks to the other side or spend too much time travelling on the bus jaunting from park to park to park to park (you get the idea). Make a list of things that you really want to do and let that guide you! Believe it or not I still have not seen it all/done it all in my 16 years of regularly visiting WDW!

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Have a great time! :mickey:

Mousefever
10-22-2009, 07:25 PM
When we have gone starting on Jan 1st, the crowds haven't really dropped off until the 5th or 6th. We've arrived on Jan 1st twice. In 2007 we stayed until the 8th. In 2008 we stayed until the 10th.

Amy

faline
10-23-2009, 11:39 AM
How quickly the crowds drop off typically depends on when schools return. Given that January 1st will be on a Friday, I would expect that most schools will be back in session on Monday, the 4th.

disneykid@hrt
10-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Sunday EMH at MK = :ill:

But since school will be back in session for alot of kids you may be fine.

Crowd levels are supposed to be slow. The 4/3 deal is kicking in around that time. We were just there- another "slow" time- and the crowds were worse than our last trip which was in March. We blamed Free Dining. I really think its a matter of which day at which park. That's what we discovered atleast. In Info Central on this site you can find the days of the week that are historically busier for each park. Good luck! We'll be there right after ya, so get the World ready for us!:number1:

irish1967
10-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Don't forget - the half marathon and marathon are January 9 & 10 in 2010.

You should probably expect increase in crowds closer to the end of the week.

I've been there Thursday - Tuesday for marathon weekend the last few years and although crowds aren't peak level, there are definitely waits for the bigger attractions.