PDA

View Full Version : should I take a wheelchair?

LadybugTink
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am going to Disney in 38 days and for about 5-6 weeks now I have been having problems with my knee. I am not sure what is going on with it and have had xrays, MRI, and now I am on my way to visit my 3rd Dr about it. I can still walk but I am slow and by the end of the day on just a normal work day my knee and leg is swolen. My cousin is telling me that I should take a wheelchair on the trip incase we get there and it is to much for me to do but I am not sure what to do. We are going with my sister and her family and I don't want to slow them down. Any advice on what to do I would love to hear.

Thanks a bunch :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
10-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I just want to wish you well! I had a similar dilemma for our holiday in August (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and all too frequent issues with my right foot). You know how strong you are and when you need a break. Just know that there is no shame in needing a chair. If you need it, use it. :hug:

ElenitaB
10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
If you have one, you should definitely take it with you. Better to have it with you and available. By bringing it, you'll also have it available at the airport and your resort. If your leg tends to swell, it might not be a good idea to stress it at the airport before getting on the plane (mine LOVES to swell up on the flight down).

Also, there's no shame in "slowing" down your group. You could end up slowing them down unintentionally by walking more slowly (in pain, no less).

peemagg
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
If you don't already have one you could probably rent one cheaper at home from your local medical supply store. You also just might want to consider using a scooter if you are worried about slowing everyone else down. You could rent them from an off-site vendor from between $150-$250 a week. You would then have "your own wheels" and wouldn't need someone to push you as you would with a wheelchair.

Either way anything that you can do to make your trip less painful and more enjoyable is worth every penny spent. :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I second the idea of renting an ECV.

We rent one when we take my Mom to Disney with us, she has problems with her knees, and combined with her arthritis she just can't manage a whole day with all of the walking.

She enjoyed having the ECV, and quickly realized that without it, she wouldn't have managed at all.

We also would have felt horrible if she'd had to go back to the room to rest while we stayed out in the parks. This way, we all got to stay and enjoy the trip together.

Twinkletoes77705
10-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I tore my ACL in my knee and after a few days at Disney I am in PAIN. So I rent an EVC when I need it. My mom blew her knee out too...so we just take turns..esp. at EPCOT...that was the worst!