PDA

View Full Version : New Florida Resident AP Has Limits

Ed
10-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Walt Disney World is now offering a new version of its annual pass. It's for Florida residents, and it allows admission to all four theme parks -- but not on weekends.

The Florida Resident Weekday Select Pass, good on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursday and Fridays, costs $169 for folks ages 10 and older, $149 for ages 3-9. Proof of Florida residency is required, such as a driver license or an ID from a Florida college.

There are blackout days beyond Saturdays and Sundays, much like the regular seasonal pass. Upcoming dates that the new pass won't work on include Dec. 19, 2009-Jan. 1, 2010, March 27-April 9, 2010 and June 12-Aug. 19, 2010.

Another cost to factor in: the new pass does not include parking, which is currently $14 per day.

More details and fine print at www.disneyworld.com/weekday.

BluewaterBrad
10-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Ill just stick to my regular seasonal pass! Thanks for the info!!:mickey:

Melanie
10-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Definitely a deal if you're able to go during the week.

BrerGnat
10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
That's pretty cheap for all four parks! It's about the same cost as the Southern CA resident AP at DLR.

Perhaps WDW will also offer a "parking add on" package. At DLR, it's $79 to add on parking to each pass, good for the duration of the pass. :thumbsup:

baby minnie's mommy
10-20-2009, 04:11 PM
So, no weekends, and no school holidays. And this would appeal to.....who?

Melanie
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM

You may be surprised. I'm sure it won't be nearly as in demand as seasonal or annual passes, but there has to be some interest or I doubt they'd offer it. Retirees come to mind???

Scar
10-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Friday nights at Epcot should get even more crowded.

WDWfanatic742
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Also High School/College students who can drive there during the week after class or don't have class that day. I'd probably do it if I had the extra money sitting around...

lockedoutlogic
10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Not to get to into detail...but this pass appears to only be for those in the orlando immediate area.,.
and if that's so....then Disney continues to completely ignore the realities of the city that they have pretty much directed since the 60's.

Travel is in the tank (at least to the rank and file and majority of america who aren't really that concerned with the Dow)....75% of the orlando economy is in the tank with it...who wants to give their money back to disney?

Realistically, can anyone who could not afford to pay regular price when the "boom" was on now afford to shell out the costs of frequenting the parks?

Those that could afford it....probably still can.

I don't see it...ths kinda seems like an attempt at a pass for the unemployed...or am i wrong?

BrerGnat
10-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I see it more as a "better" option for those in the Orlando Local area to go "on the cheap" several times per year, rather than having to buy the ridiculously expensive One Day Pass.

You may be surprised at the amount of interest in something like this.

As I mentioned, DLR has had a "Southern California" Annual Pass for many years. It is EXTREMELY popular. Many people who used to "never" go to the parks, get that pass, and go often. You'd be surprised at how the park seems EMPTY whenever the So. Cal AP is on blackout. Makes a huge difference.

They even went so far as to add ANOTHER So. Cal pass...the Select pass, which has even MORE blackout days. I think it's only good Mon-Thurs, and is blacked out ALL summer, most of March/April, and around all the major holidays. This pass is still extremely popular.

Off the top of my head, the people I can see making use of a pass like this:

-Stay at home parents with young (prior to school age) children. This seems to be the majority of what you see at DL during the weekdays when school is in session.

-Stay at home parents, or those who work from home, who have kids in school. On the random "school's out" days, they could go.

-Retirees (as mentioned)

-ALL those people who live in Central Florida BECAUSE of Disney World (the ones who truly love it), as a CHEAPER alternative to the regular AP. Those who can drive over after work during the week, for a couple hours in the park. (This was me OFTEN at DLR prior to having kids...)

The truth is, these locals probably know to avoid the busy weekends anyway. I mean, it's been YEARS since I went to DLR on a Saturday. It's just too busy, so I never go then.

Also, the thing is, even if people CAN afford WDW's standard AP, that does not mean they will actually pay that much. I mean, for comparison, I have the Deluxe AP for DLR...it cost me $249 (it's up to $289 now, but you get $20 off for renewing prior to the expiration date), and allows me many weekends and all summer entrance. I am only blacked out for 50 days/year. I find that a really good value. In contrast, if we lived in Central Florida, we'd be looking at over $400 for the AP for the parks, and if we lived there, we'd DEFINITELY want the water parks as well, so more like $500 per person. That would be twice what we pay here, and honestly, that's pretty steep for us as a family of 4...not sure if we'd get to have AP's if we lived in Florida...

Melanie
10-20-2009, 10:28 PM
In contrast, if we lived in Central Florida, we'd be looking at over $400 for the AP for the parks

Just wanted to point out that is not necessarily the case. We paid around $335 per person for our APs (with the 10% off deal they ran this summer). Through the base it would have been $360. And now they have the +3 months which is an even better deal.

lockedoutlogic
10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to point out that is not necessarily the case. We paid around $335 per person for our APs (with the 10% off deal they ran this summer). Through the base it would have been $360. And now they have the +3 months which is an even better deal.

Since We own a house in Orange County and still contribute to the public coffers there....
we help ourselves to the florida seasonal passes...at least we have when it made sense to...

the seasonal is still a good deal....it only blacks out the peak seasons....roughly 100 out of 365 days....and retains weekends....

florida residents aren't likely to go during the blackouts on the seasonals anyway....and since it retains most weekends....its' beter for kids/ visiting grandkids....for about $250 bucks....

i don't see many locals going for this....but whatever...i guess

Melanie
10-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Check that! Our APs were around $360. I forgot we still have one under 10. BUT, still a deal!

Seasonal just wasn't for us this time, but possibly in the future. At this point we still want the freedom to go whenever we please.

I'd say Disney is going for a more casual local Disney fan with the new pass, not us fanatics. ;) Like how we'll probably purchase the resident deal with Busch Gardens, which we certainly wouldn't if we lived in say, Jacksonville.

blondeinbrandon
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
We have the seasonal and love it. The black-out dates are times we would never go, but I need the weekends! So the new pass isn't for us. :mickey:

malip
10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
This pass seems like a nice locals deal. We have seasonal passes and one annual to get the free parking (big savings over the long haul!). The good thing about the black out dates is they are during the times we avoid anyhow, Christmas crowds, Spring break crowds, and summer heat.