PDA

View Full Version : SW Early Bird Check In

massachusetts
10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Has anyone done this yet? Was it worth it?

BMan62
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
We thought it was well worth it for our trip back in September. My DW freaks if she thinks we will not be able to sit together!!

On the way out, not so much as the plane was only 1/3 full, but on the way back, SW was asking for people to take a voluntary 'bump' because the plane was overbooked.

Both times, we were the first group to board after Business Select and "A" List passengers.

KathyMJ
10-22-2009, 09:02 AM
I have used this feature twice now and loved it.
Both times we were able to get the emergency row seats with the extra leg room:)

The first time I used it was for DH, DD and her boyfriend. I was already in Florida at a conference and they were meeting me in Orlando. Of course since I am the one that always does the 24 hour check in I was concerned that I wouldn't have computer access at the time I would need to check them in. I figured I would try this out. Worked perfectly!

The second time I used it was for the 4 of us on the way home. I didn't want to have to worry about getting back to the resort to do the check in at my 24 hour mark. So, I just did this in advance and was all set:)

I won't use it when I travel alone because I don't feel the need. I won't use it when it's just DH and myself traveling, either.
But I think it's well worth the $10, especially for the return flight. No need to worry and stress about getting to a computer 24 hours prior.

Disney Doll
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
We didn't bother with it on our last trip and everyone in our party (8 of us) got A group with no problems. I checked in about an hour after our 24 hour window opened both ways so it's not like I was synchronizing my watch to be online at exactly 24 hours.

Fangorn
10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I purposely did not use it on our trip last month just to see what that would mean. But here was our experience:
I checked my wife in right at the 24 hour point each way. All flights were completely booked. She was A32 going and A34 coming home. I'm an A-list member and I checked myself in after I checked her in. I was A19 going and A20 coming home. So, there were, at the most, 12 people who used the early bird checkin going and 13 who used it on the return.

In our case, it didn't make any real difference. We were still able to get the exit row (I'm 6' 6" and that extra leg room is important) on all legs.

Steve
:mickey:

wildernesslady
10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
We used it on our return trip only. We knew we would be in a park at 24 hrs. in advance and didn't want to be bothered. I think there was about 10 people that did it though. We were A19 and A20.

mudpuppysmom
10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
We just returned on Wednesday and I purposely did not use it to see what it would mean for us.

On the way down the flight was all but about 5 people full.....I checked us in at 24 hrs out and we got A12, 13, 14 -- there were a few people in front of us.

On the way home I had a friend check us in for our 7:25 flight back....she checked us in at about 7:50 and we wer B12, 13, 14. We do however had a 1 yr old, so we got to board between A and B, so we got on a few ppl ahead, not a big deal, but had we waited until we got to the airport we may have not been able to sit together as the flight was overfull!

thumperbug
10-24-2009, 04:58 PM
from where I live all the SW flight to/from MCO are always sold out and over booked. I always do the 24 hours check in (do it from my phone at wdw) but recently I had some friends who did the check ins at the 24 hours mark both ways and got B boardings due to the new early birds being checked in ahead of time. I guess it depends on when and where you are flying.

My next trip is in a few weeks solo so I am not worried...I also see there are still plenty of seats available.

rubato
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
What is the early bird check in? I only knew about the 24 hour ahead thing. I was worried about our return flight because I don't want to bring my computer and take care of it there. So, what is this other thing? You pay extra money and what happens? Sorry to sound dumb.:blush:

Genie1953
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
What is the early bird check in? I only knew about the 24 hour ahead thing. I was worried about our return flight because I don't want to bring my computer and take care of it there. So, what is this other thing? You pay extra money and what happens? Sorry to sound dumb.:blush:

Nope...not dumb....I have the same question myself.

BMan62
10-24-2009, 10:30 PM

For $10 per seat per flight, you can assure yourself seats immediately following "A-List" and "Business Select" passengers. These seating positions are assigned 36 hours prior to your flight, so there is no rush to beat the 24-hour window for the "A" seating group.

faline
10-25-2009, 04:24 PM
This is a very recent "offering" by Southwest.

Sylvia
10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I used early bird check-in last month and it was great. I didn't have to worry about getting to a computer 24 hrs before my flights to check in. I'll use it again whenever I fly SWA.:thumbsup:

However, I did encounter a very rude person on the way home. :( I was first in the A16-A20 line (I had A17) and a man, who was behind me in line, decided he just had to board before me. He pushed past me and tripped me with his wheeled bag.

I had the last laugh, though. My bags were first on the carousel, and when I left the airport, he was still waiting for his luggage. I figure the pixie dust followed me home. ;)

Gregandmel
10-26-2009, 08:27 AM
We paid for the 6 of us (my family of 4 and my parents) to do Early-Bird check-in on our next trip. It's a big deal for my kids to have a window seat and have a better choice of sitting together. Last year, we were at AK on our last day and about 2 hours after the 24 hour check-in, I remembered I needed to check-in. We got low B seating on the way home and we were basically all split up - not that's it a huge deal, but we just prefer to sit together and let the kids choose their seats. We got great airfare ($59 each way) so figured the $10 extra was not a big deal. But - it's a personal preference!!

rubato
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Okay, I just added it to my return flight. I don't want to mess with getting online in the middle of the day while on vacation. Once I found out they don't need me to print the boarding passes, and will have them for me at the airport, I was all for it! :)

offwego
10-27-2009, 01:14 PM
for any of you with iphones or blackberry's you can use your phone for check in mobile (and reprint boarding pass at airport). all you need is your confirmation number and it will check in all of your party. (this worked really well for me) and I had no issues with sitting our party of three together.

Granny Jill A
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Okay, I just added it to my return flight. I don't want to mess with getting online in the middle of the day while on vacation. Once I found out they don't need me to print the boarding passes, and will have them for me at the airport, I was all for it! :)

I signed up for Early Bird and I understand SW assigns us boarding position. Do we still have to go online and print boarding passes?

faline
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
I signed up for Early Bird and I understand SW assigns us boarding position. Do we still have to go online and print boarding passes?

You still go on-line as you normally do and print your boarding passes.

rubato
10-30-2009, 05:07 PM
They told me I didn't need to print them. They can do it for me when I get there. Boy, I sure hope so, because otherwise, it defeats the whole purpose of doing it ahead!

faline
10-30-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm sure you can wait until you get there but I'd certainly rather have them ahead of time to be sure there were no hiccups in the process.

ThanxForNoticin
11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
No, just like the original system, you can always print your boarding passes at the airport at check-in. It's part of their process. You go to one of their kiosks (or customer service rep) to check in your bags, and one option is always there to print your boarding passes. You just want to make sure you have your confirmation number - it's very easy.

I understand why people are liking this early-bird check-in, and I'm sure I'll even use it myself. But it's really a little annoying to me. For years, SW always pointed out that other airlines charge hidden fees for bags and seat assignments. Well, the $10 is basically their way of collecting a fee for a better seat. I sure hope they don't start with other extra fees like this in the future.

Genie1953
11-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I am having a bit of trouble understanding this early bird checkin system. If we add this to our reservations will we automatically be checked in 36 hours in advance of our flight? Do we need to do anything else once we have added it to our reservation? And a very big question....we will not have access to a computer or printer while in Disneyworld (staying at POR) so can we still do the early bird check in and just wait to print the boarding passes at the airport. I will have my IPhone with me so can probably do any sort of check in process on it if needed...just not sure if I need to do this if we have the Early Bird Checkin. It has been quite a few years since we have flown....probably 6 or 7 years since we usually drive for all of our vacations...so need to refresh my memory on how it all works.

faline
11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
If we add this to our reservations will we automatically be checked in 36 hours in advance of our flight? Do we need to do anything else once we have added it to our reservation? And a very big question....we will not have access to a computer or printer while in Disneyworld (staying at POR) so can we still do the early bird check in and just wait to print the boarding passes at the airport.

What you are paying extra for is to have your boarding number assigned to you at the 36 hour pre-flight mark. You can still print your boarding passes at the 24 hour mark. Even without access to a computer or printer, you can ask any of the concierge desks at the resorts or guest services at the parks to print your boarding passes for you. You do need to be within the 24 hour window and you need to have your confirmation information with you. If you opt not to spend the extra money, you can check in at the 24 hour mark by going to one of these spots. We've done it several times.

Granny Jill A
11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
You still go on-line as you normally do and print your boarding passes.

Thank you SO much. I was getting paranoid about the whole thing.

ginny57
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I did early bird for myself & my son since I would not have any PC / printer access a the 24 hr mark. No, I did not go online and print ANYTHING. I got my boarding pass at check-in. There was a moment of confusion when the agent could not find my early bird info but I had printed it when I did it, gave it to her and we were good to go.

Dream'nDisney
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
So, let me get this straight... when you purchase your tickets, you can pay the $10 and NOT have to worry about checking in online to get on the A list? And then you can print the boarding pass (which could be done, say, a few hours before we board)?

BMan62
11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
So, let me get this straight... when you purchase your tickets, you can pay the $10 and NOT have to worry about checking in online to get on the A list? And then you can print the boarding pass (which could be done, say, a few hours before we board)?

Correct on all points. Your boarding position is determined at 36 hours before your flight.

Dream'nDisney
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Correct on all points. Your boarding position is determined at 36 hours before your flight.

So, when is the earliest I can print my boarding pass, 36 hours before or 24 hours before flight? Thank you.

BMan62
11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
You cannot print your boarding passes any earlier than the 24 hour window.

faline
11-05-2009, 11:59 AM

Well, you won't necessarily be in the "A" group. Partly, it will depend on how many of your fellow passengers have also selected the early bird option!

Dream'nDisney
11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess the key is to get your flight as soon as you can with the $10 upcharge.

DisneyFr33k
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
100% completely worth it! :thumbsup: with all the packing prep, I didn't have to worry about logging in and printing. We got the first 4 seats on the flight down. And, after WDW, we went to take a 3 day cruise on the DCL - while on Castaway Cay, we didn't have to worry with going back to the ship to log in and get our group A seats. It was all done for us and when we got to the airport, we printed our boarding passes (that were group A the 5th-8th persons to board) and had a stress free flight home!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Espeically if you are vacationing somewhere where they charge to access internet and you need group A (we did as we were traveling with small children).

DisneyFr33k
11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
They told me I didn't need to print them. They can do it for me when I get there. Boy, I sure hope so, because otherwise, it defeats the whole purpose of doing it ahead!

That's what we did on the way back. Worked Beautifully!!!

DisneyFr33k
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
One more thing, when I booked my early bird check in, I called to verify as the system was new and there were some issues (all worked out now). What I was told is that they assign early bird tickets in order as they are purchased. So if 5 other passengers booked EB check in for my flight before me, they will get assigned seats before me. I did well having paid for mine only a few days after they began the program.

Granny Jill A
11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I wanted to report that the Early Bird Check-In worked perfectly for my sister and I. It was a huge relief to have an A boarding position. The extra money was so worth it for us.

Ian
11-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I just had my first Early Bird Check-In experience with Southwest and can't say I was totally impressed.

My co-worker didn't use it and got A37. I used it and got A25. $10 for 12 spots in line????

thumperbug
11-26-2009, 02:25 PM
again, it depends on how full your flight is and how many people used the early bird check in. If only 4 people pay the $10 for it then it is possible that someone you know who checks in at 24 hours is going to be right behind you.

I just flew SW last week and did not opt for the early bird since I was flying solo and knew my flight going was not full. I checked it exactly at 24 hours and got a22. coming back, checked in at exactly 24 hours mark and go a50. The flight back was full and it appears that more opted to use the early bird.

I opted for the early bird option for our Feb trip since the flights both ways sold out in a matter of minutes. I bought the tickets and the early bird the day the tickets went on sale so I should hope that we will get A boarding.