PDA

View Full Version : When to go?

missymouseworld
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I am trying to decide if a June trip is in our plans for 2010. Can someone tell me what their experience has been towards the end of June, weather, crowds, etc. We have gone Eastertime the past few years, but after last year, I swore I would never do it again with the crowds and park closings. Unfortunately, we cannot take the kids out of school and miss days like we use to when they were younger...high school has TOO much work to make up and the school doesn't allow absences past 3 days without a doctor note to return. Right now, we are looking at a June25th arrival and leaving by July 2nd. I know Florida summers can be hot, but can't remember if the humidity is that bad in June.
Any info would be helpful.:mickey:

dephenn
10-20-2009, 09:40 AM
We went that exact same week in 2006 I believe and I swore that we would never go that time of year again. Yes it was hot and very (extremely) humid. It rained, thundered and lighting every day as my memory has it. I remember going on It's a Small World 4 times in a row trying to wait out one storm, that plus wait time got us through one down pour with enough time to run for the bus before it started up again. Another time I looked out side and it looked great out so I decided to go jogging, about half way out it started to down pour, thunder and lighting, so I had to wait it out in a laundry room by a quiet pool, we almost missed our ADR. To top it all off the crowds/lines were just as bad. Fast passes for more popular rides were shut down early evening, there was nothing Magical about the Extra Magic hours. Of course this was after a year when we went in September and were being waved on to rides, though it was still humid. It is just a suggestion, but if you can't take your kids out of school I would ask some experts here about late August, a lot of schools in the south I've been told start back in early August. With all that being said and sorry for running on, I should let you know that we did share our DVC points with my brother so he could afford a trip with his family and to this day they all say it was the best vacation ever.

faline
10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
By the end of June, you can expect both high humdity and ever-increasing crowds!

rubato
10-20-2009, 10:47 AM
So, is there ever a time when the kids are out of school that it's tolerable at DW? My son is only in 4th, so we're taking him out this winter (again), but I know we'll reach a point pretty soon that we can't do this. It sounds like there is no good time in the summer!:(

missymouseworld
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe dealing with the crowds in April during Easter Break is better than dealing with the weather/heat/crowds in the summer....Not sure what to do???

My son is only in 4th, so we're taking him out this winter (again), but I know we'll reach a point pretty soon that we can't do this.
Unfortunately, when they get to the upper grades, the work gets piled on and when you miss valueable class time, you miss alot and the grades suffer. My 2nd grader wouldn't have a problem, it is my 8th and 10th grader that would have problems.

Right now, there aren't any deals for around Easter break anyway, Disney always blocks that timeframe out.

rhonary
10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
The last 3 yrs we've gone late Aug...you get the free dinning plan and the crowds aren't that bad. Weather is hot but not unbearable and we've only been rained on a couple of times..never a wash out! This yr we were there last week in Aug 1st week in Sept the crowds went from a 40-50 min wait in lines to like 5 or ten! And like you we cant take kids out of school. Yes you do take your chances with heat and rain but for us the last 3 times we cant complain! Not a bad time to go.:thumbsup:

jodijo
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
My husband and I went for a few days in June. It was so hot that we only lasted about 2 hours in any park and had to leave. The crowds were large but the heat unbearable to us. I would try to go a different time if you can.

bruin1344
10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
The last 3 yrs we've gone late Aug...you get the free dinning plan and the crowds aren't that bad. Weather is hot but not unbearable and we've only been rained on a couple of times..never a wash out! This yr we were there last week in Aug 1st week in Sept the crowds went from a 40-50 min wait in lines to like 5 or ten! And like you we cant take kids out of school. Yes you do take your chances with heat and rain but for us the last 3 times we cant complain! Not a bad time to go.:thumbsup:

another vote for this

HeadFairyInCharge
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Well My dream trip was planned and was not what I'd hoped for but we did go early December --Experienced Parade Taping , Saw Miley Cyrus and Dad perform live...Big Memory for my 5 yr old daughter. Yacht Club was OK...for the price I'd say they are in need up room refurbishment, you are paying for a great location and boat/bus transportation. Sooo my next trip I want warmer weather but not scorching days, not into the big lines and crowds...my hubby almost killed me during the last trip ..we had MVMCP tix for a sold out event...crazy !! :thedolls: Love Disney but even the kids got annoyed at all the crowds and lines.
I need suggestions from the frequent visitors...when can you go and enjoy Disney without waiting 50 mins for It's A Small World ?:mickey:
I would still take the kids out of school if necessary they are still young, but we also went last time they were 5 and 2.5 very hectic:confused: We will stay on property, would love a monorail resort but is it really worth it ?? Will be at MK most of our time next visit, maybe HS 1 Day, Epcot 1 Day, Is AK really worth it will small kids...the shows are great but rides are for bigger kids...La Nouba on my Disney bucket list also Fantasmic which we missed last time because of freezing weather at night. SUGGESTIONS Please !!!

missymouseworld
10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
The last 3 yrs we've gone late Aug...you get the free dinning plan and the crowds aren't that bad. Weather is hot but not unbearable and we've only been rained on a couple of times..never a wash out!

So far, the last week of August/beginning of September is sounding pretty good. The fact that you might get a special deal is a plus too!

The family is pulling for Easter break again, but I don't know what will win out. I tend to forget the horrible crowds and waits, and the fact that I said, "I will never do it again", about 6 months after the fact.

wdwfansince75
10-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Most of our trips have been in late June into early July. Been there for July 4 at least 3 times. Yes, it is hot; yes, it is humid; yes it does rain; yes, it is crowded.....
But....
Parks are open longer...
Lots of cool queues and attractions...
Disney plans for the crowds...more CM's at most locations.
"Seasonal" rides are usually operational

Only twice have we found the heat and humidity unbearable....once at EPCOT, and once at Animal Kingdom. For our AK days, we get to opening, usually on the morning EMH day, hit EE and KS as early as possible, getting FP for later....Usually do a late character breakfast...did the Safari Breakfast last year, and loved it.

DW usually leaves AK by early afternoon...usually, several of DK's and DGK's leave with her....I wander the trails, do FoW, KRR, and, if I can get another FP, do EE again, before heading back to meet the clan for dinner.

On most days, We usually do the other parks until late afternoon, then do supper together somewhere, and head to MK for most evenings. Since we usually stay at CR or SoG, we are usually in the room within a half hour of leaving the MK....MK is about the only evening EMH park for us.

We pace ourselves, and most of the family takes appropriate breaks....

As for the afternoon rains, we have found that the rains drives the crowds from EPCOT even more than from the other parks....Post Rain evenings at EPCOT are great! No lines, except for Soaring....been known to leave DHS to boat to EPCOT just because of the rain.

Except for the year we did EPCOT five days, trying (unsuccessfully) to do Test Track, we always do all of our "must do's", and lots of other things besides....Never had a bad trip!

Mrs Bus Driver
10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
So far, the last week of August/beginning of September is sounding pretty good. The fact that you might get a special deal is a plus too!

The family is pulling for Easter break again, but I don't know what will win out. I tend to forget the horrible crowds and waits, and the fact that I said, "I will never do it again", about 6 months after the fact.
If you must go during a crowded time have you considered using a "touring plan"? You can get more done with less waiting. I recommend the book "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" it offers a lot of good advice and several different plans. Hope this helps. :mickey:

Disneymom4ever
10-21-2009, 09:13 AM
My family and I have been both in late August (once), and Easter (3 times). I guess this is a matter of opinion, and what you can tolerate, but as far as our Aug. trip, I said never again due to the heat. I just don't tolerate it well. People were actually clapping when the doors would open on certain attractions, just to be in the A/C. My kids were miserable as well. As far as Easter goes, we go during Spring break, which sometimes does fall on Easter. Yes, the crowds were big, but the weather is wonderful! I would take that any day over the heat. And honestly, I don't ever remember crowds just being horrific. We would just have a plan, and DEFINITELY arrive at park opening or before. We got so much done in those first few hours! Like you, my boys are in 8th and 11th grade, so pulling them out of school is not an option. Good luck with your decision, and happy planning!:mickey:

missymouseworld
10-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I guess this is a matter of opinion, and what you can tolerate, but as far as our Aug. trip, I said never again due to the heat. I just don't tolerate it well.

That is me too.

The decision we have to make is ..... hot weather in the summer or crowds at Easter break time.

Thanks again!

#1donaldfan
10-22-2009, 01:13 PM
..most of our trips have been in June and we've loved 'em all !! ....yes, hot, humid, semi crowded, but WONDERFUL....

...I agree about not taking them out of high school...we've got two there and one in middle ...it's just not as easy on them to make up everything...

BigThunderFan
10-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I have been once over Easter. As I recall it was more crowded than any time we went in the summer. However, we always went the first couple weeks of June. The crowds were still bad, but not terrible. The weather was very hot and humid and it did thunderstorm EVERY day. Then it was even more humid afterwards.

When I was in college we went over spring break, I believe during St Patty's Day, not over Easter. The weather was awesome, not hot at all but plenty warm to wear shorts. The crowds were there, but nowhere near as bad as summer. If you can do this I definitely recommend it.

texasteacher
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I did a June trip this summer and vowed "never again." I like Thanksgiving week for the nice weather (crowds were huge Thanksgiving Day though) and actually would go back the week after Christmas to avoid the summer heat.

Disney Doll
10-27-2009, 12:51 PM
So, is there ever a time when the kids are out of school that it's tolerable at DW? My son is only in 4th, so we're taking him out this winter (again), but I know we'll reach a point pretty soon that we can't do this. It sounds like there is no good time in the summer!:(

In short, no. If school's out it's going to be crowded.

I did a June trip once and I was miserable from the heat. I just don't enjoy myself when I have sweat dripping down my back. We tried late Sept/ early Oct this year and I still though it was too hot so I certainly wouldn't recommend August.

HeadFairyInCharge
11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
So if we want less crowded but warm not scorching hot days...go while most schools are in session...no holidays...arrive on a weekday ? Does it matter ?
I need suggestions ...anyone got an idea for me, I am thinking Spring but not Easter break and like a Tuesday to Tuesday kinda week...
Wondering how crazy is Jersey Week...this week the first week of November when the teachers are NJEA Convention...???:mickey:

BigThunderFan
11-04-2009, 01:37 PM
We like to arrive on a Saturday and leave the following Saturday. It is less expensive than Sunday and this way you only have one weekend day in the parks. If you fly on Tuesdays then you spend two weekend "busier" days there and you pay the same for flights/rooms.

We had pretty good luck in late April 2008. There were a few pretty hot days though, and the crowds were more than I expected, but not terrible.
Next trip is in January so hopefully will have a good report on that one.:thumbsup: