PDA

View Full Version : Shark Reef?

Frog
10-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Someone who has done this, can you tell me more about the experience?

Pally
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I have gone to the one in Typhoon Lagoon. The section I was in you did not have to pay but there is another one that you can pay for.

The one I went into is a smallish acquarium about forty or so feet long. The water is cold. They usual have about 10 people or so go at once. I would straggle a bit so that you can go slow and really get a good look. You swim from one end to the other.

I really liked it even though I hate cold water. My husband and one son would not go because it was too cold for them. My youngest son wanted to go but he could not figure out how to use the snorkle equipment.

I would imagine the paid one would be even better.:mickey:

hardingella
10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
We did Shark reef 18 months ago (DH me DD9 DS7) We all really enjoyed it.
You go to the counter were you get a snorkle which has been disinfected (you can still taste it a little) and goggles. When it is your turn to swim you get a brief talk about dos and donts.Then you walk to the edge of the large pool, Where their are lifeguards with you. The water is cold and salty. you are told not to kick your legs or stand up on any of the rocks. I seem to remember about two or three lifegueards in the water at various points throughout the swim. You can see plenty of fish. the sharks are not very big at all.

We did it several times and had great fun, enjoy:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
10-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Shark Reef rocks! For me, anyway! DD and DH only rated it OK. (I think they didn't like the snorkel) The waters is very cold, but only for a litle bit. You do get instructions before beginning. The snorkels have been disinfected. You slowly swim your way across the "tank" while looking down @ the marine life. No wild kicking or hand movements. It doesn't take very long to get across and then you can go down and look under the water thru the "port holes" in the tanks. Don't forget to take your waterproof camera and you can get some great pics!

Frog
10-30-2009, 12:13 PM
We had the impression this was something you had to pay extra for, and so we bypassed it last visit... maybe we should give it a try!!

Ransom
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
We didn't do the shark reef, but I thought I saw them handing out (renting?) wet suits for this. Was that some other attraction? Or was it the heat stroke making me see things? I'm all confused now. :D

kemps@wdw
11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
:shake: No extra cost or renting wet suits. Just a little cold water and some interesting marine life! :thumbsup:

phillydan
11-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I did this in August with my son (7). As the others stated, the water is colder than the pools, so be prepared. It did not bother us much, as we are used to it from going to the Jersey shore. My son had trouble with the snorkel, so i just had him hold his breath and put the face mask into the water. I thne just pulled him along. It was a quick trip across the lagoon and you do get to see a lot of the sharks and rays. They also have some "Dory" fish in there, so they are easier to pick out. I would do it again.

BMan62
11-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I think some of the posters on this thread are thinking about different places/adventures...

If you are talking about the Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon, it is free and an interesting float. You get issued snorkle/mask, are given brief instructions on how to proceed, then you get in the water and make your way across the tank at your own speed. The water is cool, not the 80+ degree water in the pools or the rest of the park, closer to 65 degrees - keeps the sharks docile.

There are other adventures where you swim with the fish/sharks at The Seas with Nemo and Friends in Epcot. These are paid experiences. I have not done any of these.

Dznygrl79
12-28-2009, 06:49 AM
I think you may be thinking about the behind the scenes Aqua Tour at Epcot in the Living Seas, I have done that and love it, I think it was about $150 they give you a wetsuit to use and then you snuba in the tank (its a little like snorkle and a little like scuba). I don't remember sharks but I saw lots of rays, tutles, and fish.
Now I also remember reading in a generalised Florida Guidebook that you could scuba in Typhoon Lagoon but it was an extra fee and you had to book the tour ahead of time and have a minimum number of people, I never tried it...
Good Luck on your search.