PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Vacation

Sunshine1010
10-19-2009, 03:37 AM
My husband and I surprised our son with a trip to Disney World one year. He didn't know until we were at the airport gate.

Another time, I planned a surprise trip for my child AND husband. I did all the work, packing, changing my husband's work schedule w/his boss, changing karate teaching times, etc. They didn't know until the day before.

Soooo....I'm doing good here!

We're going in December and we decided to surprise my son. He is 8. We told him that we had to drive to Florida for a Meeting/Conference for Foster Parents (we are Foster/Resource Parents). We told him he would have to come with us since I couldn't find a babysitter. We then decided to bring one of his friends. His BEST friend. I got the approval from his parents and they are in on the surprise as well. We told the friend that we asked him to go because the drive was long, and the meetings were going to be boring and Brandon needed some company. But...as a treat, we would take them to a few playgrounds and perhaps stop at McDonald's. he he he he

They have no idea that they will be going together as friends. We aren't going to tell them until right before we get to the hotel. My son knows the landmarks to Disney...so I think we'll stop at a rest area and just surprise them.

What do you think?

stitchaholic
10-19-2009, 07:06 AM
i think you will be voted coolest mom in the universe,not only a surprise trip for DS but for his best friend, you are the coolest mom!

lindique
10-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I think your son is a very lucky boy!:number1:

disneymomw_3boys
10-19-2009, 07:16 PM
I think surprises are the best, when our youngest was about your sons age we did the same, he started to figure it out as the plane landed because he saw the landscape but it was soooo cool.

On another trip we took our older sons best friend and surprised him with the trip the day prior.

This week is my wife's birthday and we are heading down tomorrow, our older two sons who are in college now are flying in on Thursday night for her birthday on Friday....
and staying through the weekend.

Don't you just love surprises!!!!

Belster
10-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Sounds great!!! We leave Saturday and our kids have no idea!!!

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Happy planning to you!

Sunshine1010
10-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Sounds like surprises work out for everyone!!!! I can't wait.

LittleRoosMommy
10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I love surprising my DDs w/ trips to WDW. We did it last year for a Grand Gathering w/ both sets of their grandparents!! They were so surprised!!!

We're doing it again this year too!! We are surprising them w/ a trip over Christmas!!! :cloud9: I'm so excited!!! I hope I'll be able to keep it a surprise! LOL

You are definitely going to get the Coolest Mom award!!:thumbsup:

gmgdisneymom
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
It sounds great - when are leaving in Nov and i am not telling the kids until I wake them to go to the airport. It is so hard to keep the secret esp since my DS(10) is as bid a disney fan as I am and is constantly bringing disney into the conversation

bruin1344
10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Great idea. I would be excited if my parents did that for me during one of our past trips.

Mysttree
10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree, surprising a child with a trip to Disney has to be the BEST THING EVER! :number1:
We are taking an 8 year old with us in January (along with his parents) and we aren't telling him till he wakes up at Disney ;)
We will be arriving around 11pm, as we are driving from TX.
We are only telling him that we are going to visit some friends...
We figure we'll have to carry him in as he'll probably be asleep (once he's out- he's down for the count!)
Hopefully he won't know until we walk out of the room heading to the parks the next morning.

jnfr2424
10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Wow! That surprise is going to be truly an amazing experience!
My 3 neices(13, 9, 5) are driving my DH & I nuts for years to take them with us to Disney. This year we told them that we just cannot afford it and that we decided to go to Boston for Thanksgiving. My sister is dropping us off at the airport and they have no idea that they are coming with us and that my sister and her husband are coming down on a later flight on Thanksgiving Eve! It is driving me crazy that I can not say anything to them but I know its going to be worth it especially the reaction on their faces! :mickey:

SBETigg
10-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I think most kids love surprises and considering you've done this before and know your child's reaction, I think it's great! Have an amazing time!

I'm one of those odd people who would prefer to know in advance. I do love surprises, and don't get me wrong-- if someone just whisked me to WDW, I wouldn't complain and I would be thrilled. But the planning and anticipation is a big part of the thrill for me, and being denied that, I have to admit, would be a bit of a bummer. The whole trip would still be great, but giving me the gift of dreaming about it in advance is what makes it over the top special for me. My daughter is like me. My son would probably prefer to just be whisked away and surprised.