PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned WDW project?

SandmanGStefani24
10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I just watched a video on youtube of a creepy looking Pop Century Legendary Years rotting away and wondered if they were abandoning it. Or, going one step further, has WDW ever abandoned a project, ride or something else before it was finished? I know this is about a resort, but I don't think this is a topic about accomodations. Anyone have info or an opinion on POP, or any other projects?

divinedi
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Just watched the video too, seems such a shame but it does look like they've abandoned it. I'm sure someone will come along and will know what happened. I did notice this when I was a POP last year, across the Lake, was surprised that Disney would abandon something they've already put so much money into.

TheRustyScupper
10-18-2009, 09:28 PM
1) There have been LOTS of rumors for the resort, such as.
. . . tear down and start anew
. . . convert to a Family Suites site

2) Not sure if these falls into the same category.
. . . different hotels were planned for Seven Seas Lagoon
. . . one golf course destroyed to make room for new hotel
. . . one golf course sold to new hotel
. . . City of Celebration sold
. . . Pleasure Island dismantled/destroyed

JPL
10-19-2009, 10:25 AM
The Walk Around the World Project once they couldn't bridge the gap between the MK and Grand Floridian.

They have a few abandoned sites like River Country and Discovery Island that have both been left to rot away!

Emme&TeddysMommy
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
We were at pop in September and noticed a lot of trailers over with supplies/construction items at the legendary section. I don't know it this is true or not but my DH was chatting with a cast member one evening and he said that they were beginning to work on that section soon. I agree it would be nice to see something done with it soon. It's such an eye sore each year to look at.

mcjaco
10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
After 9/11, that section was pretty much shuttered, and left to rot. I believe there's new plans for it, and the project may be starting soon. I'm not an expert on the accomodations side, so I'm not entirely sure on that info.

bruin1344
10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
When i stayed at POP in 2005, i remember how much of an eye sore it was, too bad they couldnt hide it somehow

lockedoutlogic
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
We were at pop in September and noticed a lot of trailers over with supplies/construction items at the legendary section. I don't know it this is true or not but my DH was chatting with a cast member one evening and he said that they were beginning to work on that section soon. I agree it would be nice to see something done with it soon. It's such an eye sore each year to look at.

those supplies were most likely for

A. a construction project at Wide World
B. Rehab material for the existing side of POP century....

just a guess....but it goes to existing pattern and geography

grumpyguy
10-20-2009, 07:20 AM
just checked out the legendary video too.
it is kinda creepy,mostly sad to think anything is left like that at wdw.
reminds me how surprised i was when i watched the video that showed the old epcot wand and hand just laying in a field "backstage".
not very walt like.

Renfairwedding
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
if the video represents all the rooms, At least the rooms are still unfinished and in the rough concret state. nothing to rot inside.

lockedoutlogic
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
if the video represents all the rooms, At least the rooms are still unfinished and in the rough concret state. nothing to rot inside.

there are environmental issues to any incomplete structures....trust me....

at least it's not in a swamp.....wait....uh oh....

I would imagine that they probably just go ahead and raze and redo when they get around to putting in more rooms....
but who knows when that will be?
The economy should scare the death outta everybody...because there are red flags still up all over the place...
...i would think that disney will be very careful cost wise for at least a few years....only guarantees like a new fantasyland that will sell tons of profit or DVC will be going ahead...in my opinion

what will become of that side of POP...who knows....i don't think it will be anytime on the near horizon...and if it were me....i would knock out the concrete...preserving the ground work...and then just rebuild when the time comes...

i do see it eventually as a suite type arrangement....but i don't think that the exterior cookie cutter concrete lodge footprints that they use in mods and values are ideal for that.....all star music aside

(sorry for the stream of consciousness:mickey:)

SandmanGStefani24
10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
it just seems like such a waste. let's be real, it's not like WDW is low on cashflow. and besides a finished resort will give a better return than one that isn't.

furthermore, i actually liked the idea of the hotel. i would definately stay there if it was open, and i think a lot of others would too. it's just a shame. i hate to see it just rotting away.

lockedoutlogic
10-20-2009, 06:17 PM
it just seems like such a waste. let's be real, it's not like WDW is low on cashflow. and besides a finished resort will give a better return than one that isn't.

furthermore, i actually liked the idea of the hotel. i would definately stay there if it was open, and i think a lot of others would too. it's just a shame. i hate to see it just rotting away.

disney is about stock price first and foremost...like any large company in the US....

they use WDW as one of their primary cash cows....they only invest what they project as adding profit into the coffers...

so things like new hotel rooms (non-DVC....but that's another story) are not acted upon until their numbers say it will generate profit...which is more traffic and therefore more merchandise sales....

I don't think that they are anywhere near that with the unfinished POP...as hotels cost lots of money to operate...and if they are even 70% full on average...the cost to run the place and the lack of full capacities of paying patrons cut into the profit....

no profit....no construction

Mushu11756
10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
We were at WDW in September and noticed a big construction site, not sure where exactly but we asked CM and was told they are building a new resort..... How much of that is true I'm not sure but they were defiantly workin on something.:secret:

lockedoutlogic
10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
We were at WDW in September and noticed a big construction site, not sure where exactly but we asked CM and was told they are building a new resort..... How much of that is true I'm not sure but they were defiantly workin on something.:secret:

that's the four seasons....not a disney hotel

seanyred
10-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Or the Western side of the property near the new toll road...I'm assuming they are still working on that as well.

gueli
10-22-2009, 03:01 AM
I just looked at this video a second time- the place is partially finished- it has doors & windows so its not exactly just rotting away.
The door to that one room appears to have been broken in...
I am not saying it shouldn't be dealt with, but maybe its just a test of how time affects an unused structure.

Joannelet
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
wow I'm wondering how the heck that person got near the building without being reprimanded....
but anyways, I do know for a fact that good old test track was almost abandoned......
It took them 4 years to build that ride!!! And they were finally given an ultimatum to either get it together in the 4th year or they were to drop the project.
Well, to our luck they got it all figured out that 4th year :)
But it was something that was VERY close to not being finished.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, to our luck they got it all figured out that 4th year

Saying that about Test Track might be just a little bit of a stretch... ;)

joelkfla
10-22-2009, 11:42 PM
wow I'm wondering how the heck that person got near the building without being reprimanded....

I haven't looked at the video, but the parking lot was mostly completed, and they do use it for various purposes.

It's sometimes leased out as overflow parking for the Gaylord. And about a year ago they built a temporary extreme biking course in it.

joelkfla
10-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Or the Western side of the property near the new toll road...I'm assuming they are still working on that as well.
Yes -- s-l-o-w-l-y.

Lately, they've been putting in landscaping -- mostly palm trees.

Joannelet
10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
ha ha I knew someone was going to say that about test track LOL :)
I enjoy it but its definitely not a ride that I would thought of having taken 4 years to build...it should have blown me away for that amount of time and energy put into it.
But its still good :)
I enjoy it :)

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-23-2009, 12:13 PM
ha ha I knew someone was going to say that about test track LOL :)
I enjoy it but its definitely not a ride that I would thought of having taken 4 years to build...it should have blown me away for that amount of time and energy put into it.
But its still good :)
I enjoy it :)

Part of the reason that it took so long was because it was a first-of-its-kind attraction and they were having a lot of trouble working out the kinks. Even now, 10 years later, the ride is still very mechanically temperamental.

However, newer attractions based on the same technology such as Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea and the upcoming Radiator Springs Racers at Disney's California Adventure have allowed them to learn from the issues they've had with Test Track that allow them to run much more smoothly.

Joannelet
10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
LOL I know I worked there during this time :)
It had some very interesting kinks. AND I can proudly say I was one of its first testers!!! :)
I can say I actually SURVIVED something (white knuckles and all!!!)
ah, test track. My family knows the whole backstory because I was terrified of that ride before it opened to the general public.
Thank god for working out the kinks :) I know that they still have problems with it but still...they've come far with that ride and the "mechanical" issues of it.
They used this ride as an example in our training classes back then. It was amazing what they went through to get this ride to work!!!

Red Randal
10-26-2009, 11:42 AM
And about a year ago they built a temporary extreme biking course in it.

Random.

I wonder how that meeting went. "Where can we put the extreme biking course?" "I don't know. How 'bout the parking lot we were gonna use at the Pop Century?" "Perfect! Let's go to lunch!"

WedWay Peoplemover
10-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I parked at the abandoned pop building for the Braves spring training game.. then they bused everybody over to Wide World of Sports.

it was certainly weird.