PDA

View Full Version : BOO! Top 5 Creepiest/Scary/Disturbing Movies

brad192
10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
It's that time of year folks - Halloween!:bat::pumpkin::ghost:

In honor of the season, what are your top 5 creepy/scary/disturbing movies? You know, the ones that make your skin crawl, keep the bedroom light on after you've seen it, and make you look over your shoulder for days.

Mine would be:

Absolutely #1 - The Exorcist. Saw this when I was a teenager & it completely freaked me out. To this day, when I think about it, it still gives me the willies.:paranoid:

The Advocate - Another movie that pegged my creep-o-meter. The quick cuts showing what REALLY was going on just intensified the whole movie.:hide2:

Night of the Living Dead (Original) - The premise was totally out of control in the '60's, and the raw way in which it was filmed made it felt like it was real.:lurk:

Alien - C'mon, a chest-bursting, acid for blood, totally evil creature that wants nothing more than to use its TWO sharp-toothed mouths to kill you? When I saw this at the theater, I thought I was going to have a stroke.:faint:

And finally, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Original) - OK, it was an obvoiusly transparent statement on communism, but the premise of being taken over & killed by an alien "pod unit" when you fall asleep, something nobody can help but do, was just way creepy. To this day, whenever I see something that's contained in a pod (even green beans), it gives me a little shudder.:scared:

So, what's yours?

Greenlawler
10-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Great Topic

#1. The Exorcist Three: With my job I am oftentimes alone in dark church buildings. The imagry of that movie and the supernatural stuff haunts me even today.

#2. When A Stranger Calls: Today it would not bother me but as a kid...hioly cow..."The call is coming from inside the house."

#3. The Ring: Did not bother me at first but I watched the phone for the next three days.

#4. The Strangers: Its not that it scared me it just disturbed me. Especially finiding out it was based on real events (I came to find out very loosely). The music and the whole home invasion angle ichhhh.

#5. Blair Witch Project: Okay I am ashamed to admit it now, but the night I saw it, it floored me. It seemed so real. Especially growing up in Tennessee and hearing Bell Witch stories all my life. That night I went home to my lonely house (single at the time) and heard sticks breaking in the woods behind the house all night.

T-Belle
10-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Boo To You!!!!

1-The Exorcist-without a doubt the scariest movie of all time!
2-The Exorcism of Emily Rose-freaked me out!
3-The Amittyville Horror(original)
4-30 Days of Night-not your warm and fuzzy vampires!
5-Blair Witch Project-forcing you to use your own imagination is a scarey thing i.e. Alien Encounter!

Phantod
10-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Not necessarily in this order, I couldn't figure one out, and I'm gonna show my age a bit. Never watched any of the Exorcist/Blair ones. So here goes.

1. House on the Haunted Hill (1959)- Original Vincent Price version. I couldn't sleep and had nightmares for days. I think I saw this originally before my teens. Rewatched some time ago as an adult and wondered why I was so freaked out, but hey as a 10 year old, things are way different.

2. Another Vincent Price special Conqueror Worm (1968), apparently named Witchfinder General in some countries. I was graduating high school and we used to go to the $2 per car load drive-in movies.

3. I Drink Your Blood (1970) A kid finds a rabid dog kills it, takes its blood and puts it into pot pies to feed it to a bunch of satanistic hippies and all bedlam breaks loose. To this day (nearly 40 years later) I cannot eat a pot pie.

4. Alien (1979) I remember seeing this in the theatre. I had no idea what I was going to watch. I was in training in San Jose and wanted to kill a night. Theatre was packed. When the creature jumped out of the pod, the lady next to me jumped about that high as well.

5. The Shining (1980) Just had to put a Stephen King on here. I was a big fan of his early books, and Jack Nicholson was just superb.

Thanks for the topic.

disneycutie165
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
1.The exorcist.... just gross and wrong

2.Jennifer's Body.... really inappropriately nasty. She has to eat boys to survive... ick!

3. I Am Legend.... loved it, had a great story and idea, but omg the mutants. Ewwww!!!! Just creeps me out!

4. Saw (all 5 now 6 of them!).... wonderful story! Each movie has a different theme. But really, if you've seen these, they are over disgusting!

5. The Passion of the Christ.... this may be an Easter movie, but it still has a halloween touch to it. Unnecessarily nasty! And probably the most horrible movie ever made, graphically speaking.

Rhetoric2000
10-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Okay - a mixed bag here:

#1 - Suspiria: My pick for the scariest film I've ever seen. Don't like the style usually but the suspense is just so well built, and for once in an Argento there is a legitimate mystery within a well constructed storyline.

#2 - Session 9: Second scariest film and probably the most intense. Works equally well as a supernatural story or non-supernatural making it rather unique. Only problem is the distracting presence of David "Horatio Cane" Caruso.

#3 - The Shining: Bit of a cliche but it remains very,very uneasy. Maybe not "scary", but horribly creepy.

#4 - Theatre of Blood: Not a "scary" horror movie as it's deliberately daft, but Price needs to be included and this is Price at the height of Price-ness. Anybody who either loves horror, loves theatre, or has a weird sense of homor has to watch this at least once.

#5 - The Mothman Prophesies: Spectacularly underrated recentish film with Richard Gere. Very, very scary indeed.

stitchaholic
10-18-2009, 01:38 PM
1.cari
2.serpent and the rainbow
3.children of the corn
4.chuckie
5.blair witch project

KylesMom
10-18-2009, 04:46 PM
We had a fun after-dinner session yesterday to answer this question :D.

The Exorcist (didn't see this until well into adulthood, but I still remember the music scared the snot out of me in 1st Grade!)
The Omen (original version)
Poltergeist (I really hate clowns now)
The Fog, Halloween & The Thing (tie - John Carpenter's a genius)
Christine (I love cars & this is one of the 1st Stephen King movies that did his books justice)

Honorable mention has to go to the first Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th movies. My teen years just wouldn't have been the same without 'em! :mickey:

Rhetoric2000, my son is with you on The Mothman Prophecies - while I've never seen it, he's watched the tape at my mom's on several occasions and insists this is a good one!

Phantod
10-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Poltergeist (I really hate clowns now)

Oh, okay, just an evil story. Be thankful you weren't raised by us. When they first broadcast Stephen King's "IT", it was shown on two nights. I'm sure you'll remember Pennywise the clown....with the balloons. So for the second day, what we did, without the kids knowledge, is went to a store and bought a number of helium ballons. Hid them well. Then during the last commercial of "IT", Nicci distracted the kids and I put balloons in each of the kids rooms and in ours. The movie is over and we're going to bed. The kids come out of their rooms with a look of horror on their faces. We're playing it up good. Oh, look, they're in our room too. Our son was old enough to figure out it was us...our daughter wasn't sure.

So it backfired on us. She slept in our room for the next 3 or 4 nights.

LOL. :thedolls:

KylesMom
10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
The movie is over and we're going to bed. The kids come out of their rooms with a look of horror on their faces.

Richard, that was just EVIL! :thedolls:

NJGIRL
10-28-2009, 04:37 PM
First I have to say I stopped watching horror/ gory movies probably 10 or more years ago so mine are really old.

1. Maniac (because it could be real)

2. Nightmare on Elm Street

3. Terror Train

4. Friday the 13th

5. Children of the Corn and The Ring (Tie)

Those Saw movies look so gross. The commercials scare me.