PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian vs Contemporary

Greenlawler
10-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry if this is a rehash, but I was just starting to dream up plans for our 2011 January trip.

We are staying in the Contemporary this January for the first time since I was a boy. But eating at Ohana's a couple of weeeks ago I started to think we should have chosen the Polynesian, it was just so cool.

So you experts give me the lowdown. What are the advantages of each? Also are the prices similar?

darthmacho
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm sure someone can verify, but I think the Poly is generally more expensive, but you can probably find a range of prices at both. In any case, the amenities are probably comparable, both are on the monorail, and both get frequent visitors thanks to their popular restaurants. I haven't stayed at either, but have visited both.

So it really comes down to personal preference. Which theme do you prefer? Poly is eye catchingly romantic and Contemporary is neat and modern. Think about your ideal vacation setting and go from there. If you think about it though, can you really make a wrong choice here? Maybe stick with your first instinct?

Good luck. :mickey:

SBETigg
10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
The Polynesian has a laid-back, exotic feel-- very relaxing way to be while you're on vacation. Great restaurants and the Great Ceremonial House, fun shopping, the Volcano pool (though, it is January). Decent sized rooms, but the sinks are inside the bathroom.

The Contemporary has a modern, bustling feel. Unless you're in the Garden Wing, has fantastic views and the advantage of everything contained in one building instead of in separate lodges around the grounds. Large rooms, newly redone, with a clean, modern feel. I'm not sure if the sinks are in or out of the shower/bathroom area. Great restaurants, shopping, and all that, too. So it really does come down to which kind of vibe you prefer, and I think it's fun to try both once in a while.

My preference overall is the Poly, but they both have a lot to offer.

DVC2004
10-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Contemp- Garden Wing is lowest pirce but the rooms are updated and very modern. Great location, monorail access. We didn't care for the pool- it was very plain and surrounded by concrete. Nothing remarkable there. We have stayed in both the Tower with an MK view (the way to go! You have a view of the fireworks that is pretty amazing) and the Garden Wing.

Poly- Stayed there 3 times. I love it. I love the decor and the tropical plants and palms. Has monorail, Ohana, Kona Cafe for Tonga Toast. The rooms are the same size as Contemp. and the pool is much, much nicer with zero depth entry and the Volcano slide. We also had a view of the castle when we stayed there in April and could see ther fireworks from our room or walk out to the sandy beach. Price is generally more than Contemp but if you are staying in the Tower it's probably the same.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either. I would give the edge to the Poly though for theming. Both have great locations. Hey you can always use this as an excuse to go back and try the one you don't pick next time.

mrsgaribaldi
10-16-2009, 05:59 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary with a MK view in Nov one year and then at the Poly with a regular view in Jan. Both of us preferred the Polynesian. I didn't care for the food court in the Contemporary but it's been redone. We just both like the grounds of the Poly. For us, it was much nicer than the CR. I don't know about cost, DH takes care of all that. I'm sure you would like either one.:mickey:

A Big Kid
10-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I give the nod to the Poly because of the possibility of the short walk to the TTC and Epcot monorail access.

BrerGnat
10-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd go with Contemporary. I"ve stayed there several times and love it! The rooms are really nice inside, luxurious and classy. The bathrooms are HUGE and, although people might disagree, I find they offer enough privacy for THREE people to be in there getting ready at once. There is a door separating the toilet from the shower/sink room. Plus, the shower curtain is opaque, so someone can be in the shower while others are at the sinks. Three of us stayed there and we had no issues with this. I like that it's all one building and getting from our room in the tower to the 4th floor for food/shopping/monorail took, literally, less than 3 minutes. I was really sick during my last stay there, and it was a HUGE relief to be able to get to the food court for Powerade, toast, and such with VERY little effort on my part (and I loved not having to go outside!!!). Love the pool area here...never crowded, and there are two hot tubs (which Poly lacks). Love the coffee bar in the lobby; love the FITNESS CENTER on the third floor (Poly doesn't have one). Love the arcade; love the shops; love the location on the lake. Love it all!

You can ALWAYS visit the Polynesian in the GCH to get the "feel". That's what I do. I actually love Kona Cafe. It's my favorite restaurant on property. I go every time I'm at WDW. :) I like the atmosphere in the GCH, but there are a lot of things about the resort that I don't care for. One thing is the incessant Hawaiian music. Lots of people like it, but it actually drives me crazy. :blush: I don't like Captain Cook's :ack:, I don't like the separate buildings. I don't like the lack of hot tubs and gym onsite. I don't like the golf carts zipping around the paths...TOTALLY ruins the atmosphere, in my opinion. And, to be honest, I find the decor in the rooms to be way over the top. I'm not that heavy into "themed" rooms, which is probably why I love the Contemporary! :D

But, you gotta go with what YOU like. It's mostly all about personal preference. :)