PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: Swan/ Dolphin or Port Orleans?

WVParkfan
10-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Quick history: We've stayed at CBR and CSR, and have decided to try POR for our trip next summer.

Our "dream" resort would be the Beach Club because of location to Epcot and DHS, great pool area, and location near dining/ shopping (Boardwalk).

I've been reading about the Swan & Dolphin and checked their prices. I can stay there for about the same as POR. And, it seems to have many of the same attributes as the Beach Club (location/ pool).

Now, I'm torn. Any advice from anyone who has stayed at both?

Mitzie
10-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I have not stayed in the Swan/Dolphin, but have been in the building to drop off a rental car. Very nice. We were able to walk right over to YC/BC, then into Epcot. We too have looked into the S/D, but we like the dining plan, and that doesn't work with that property. Last year we did a split stay with 4 nights POR, and 4 nights BC. I know this sounds crazy to most, but I liked POR better!:crazy: Found myself missing it once we got to BC. Location is great.

Seasonscraps
10-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I haven't stayed in the Swan/Dolphin but if I could get deluxe accomodations in a primo location for the same price as a moderate, I would do it in a heart beat. I know they charge for parking & I think they have a daily resort fee, I would check that before making your final decision over several days that could really increase the price.

There are drawbacks for not staying in a disney resort such as no dining plan or magical express services but they aren't deal breakers for me.

WVParkfan
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
We drive, so the Magical Express isn't something we use. We also do not use the dining plan, so that's not a concern.

I guess my biggest question would be: will we regret not staying at Port Orleans? I picked it for several reasons... one being the great reviews. Another was the location to Downtown Disney.

passholderryan
10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I have stayed at both many times. Both are great. The benefits of the Swan/ Doplhin (for me) are the location, pools, and heavenly beds. We like being able to walk to Epcot. Its about a 10 minute walk. The pool area is one of the better ones. If you plan on sitting poolside with a couple of :beer::marg: then this is the place! Although this being said, I did get married there, so there may be some favoritism.
As for POR, my wife and I take a carriage ride everytime we stay. It is nice being close to DD.
You won't be disappointed in either. Think about it, you'll be there!!!!!

MidnTPK
10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
We drive, so the Magical Express isn't something we use. We also do not use the dining plan, so that's not a concern.

I guess my biggest question would be: will we regret not staying at Port Orleans? I picked it for several reasons... one being the great reviews. Another was the location to Downtown Disney.

I think you might regret staying at a moderate, when you could have had a deluxe for a similar price. I've stayed at the CBR, YC, and at both the Swan and Dolphin. The S&D is a luxury hotel...no walking out into Florida humidity when you start the day, but a hotel hallway....that has the moderates beat. Wonderful beds that have Disney resorts beat. Similarly attentive staff. You can order room service if you like. There's a 24 hour food venue/convenience store at the Dolphin.

The downsides: you don't get all the WDW info channels...but have on demand movies and games. There aren't hidden Mickey's. No charging to your room in the parks, so you have to carry a credit card. There's a parking and resort fee (the resort fee gets you two bottles of water a day and internet access, plus gym use and 20 minutes of long distance a day).

And while POR is a boat ride to DTD, the S&D are walking distance to Epcot and DHS...and the Boardwalk. Or the boat it if you prefer. It's so nice to not be in the park closing bus madness after watching Illuminations or Fantasmic.

Jeff
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
My family has stayed at both several times.
Although we like POR the Swan would be our choice without question. We are staying there again this Christmas - love the location, the beds, the staff is always great, the pools are nice. It's a walk across the road to Fantasia Mini Golf, a 15-20 minute stroll to the Studios (or a short boat ride) and a 10 minute stroll to Epcot (or a boat ride with 2 stops along the way).

Have a great trip.

Disney_Barbie
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I've never stayed in POR, so maybe I can't compare. BUT I HIGHLY recommend the swan/dolphin, it's just a few knotches below a Disney Deluxe in our mind, and as you mentioned more along the price range of the disney moderates.
Our original apeal of the S&D was, like you, the location. We drool over the Epcot-Area-Resorts, but couldn't afford them in the past. So being @ the S&D is literally the NEXT best thing, you can enjoy the resturants, lounges, nightlife and location of BW & BC/YC with out paying the price.
Granted, many bash the idea of non-disney, but we've never had a problem, we've ALWAYS found the S&D staff equally as educted and customer service oriented as disney cast members.
The only down sides to the S&D ...
1) When figureing out your budget don't forget there is a $10 resort fee (which we think is a bargin since w/ that you get 2 bottles of water and a few other perks that are worht well over the $10) - but, the service fee is good to remember.
2) don't forget that this will not give you access to M.E. (which is not an issue for some people) But, for us, this knocks the price of our stay up $150-$175 as we have a driver bring us from and back to the airport.
But the up sides ...
1) Location, location, location!
2) The Heavenly Beds
3) Upgrades - Perhaps due to the economy and the amazing deals disney is offering, the S&D seems to have availability to upgrade/spoil their guests a bit more than usual. We recently received a VERY nice room upgrade & free robes for use during our stay. We've actually received a good upgrade EVERY time we've stayed @ S&W, the've also sent us free champage & truffles in the past. Obviously, don't count on any of this, but odds are pretty nice that you'll get more than you plan for. (esp in comparison to POR, where there is no where to UPgrade you to, enless like a river view)
4) Dinning - Even though you have all of the boardwalk @ your disposal, the dinning @ the actual S&D is amazing also
5) Pool - We really like the pool area, we've stayed @ WL & AKL and we think the pool area @ S&D rivals their pools. Granted, S&D can't hold a candle to Storm Along Bay. But I think you'll be pleased.
We've recently "graduated" from the Swan & Dolphin, and we'll have or first stay @ the BCV on our upcoming trip, but as far as we're concerned S&D will always be the next best thing to BC/YC/BW

Mousemates
10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
EZ choice...the Swan hands down, luxury plus location beats PO (thou we like POFQ very much).

DVC2004
10-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm going against the grain here. I stayed at the Dolphin last year and it did not feel Disney or Deluxe to me at all. And we've stayed at all the Deluxe resorts. We had an older room and something was wrong with our heat/air unit. The room could have used updating as it had dirty carpet and and old/dated decor and color scheme. There was no balcony and the view from our window was of the roof. It just didn't feel "Disney" to us at all. As far as the location, it was set pretty far back (behind Jellyrolls at the end of the Boardwalk) and we still had quite a walk to Epcot. We were only there one night and my kids asked not to stay there again.

POR for a Disney experience is my vote.

jillluvsdisney
10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Given the choice, I would stay at the Swan. I have 2 strong reasons. The location is right in the middle of HS and Epcot with boat transport (and walking distance) to both. I also like the idea of being very close to so many dining and night life choices.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I've stayed at POFQ, POR, Swan & Dolphin and love the location of the S&D the best. We did POFQ last year because of the free dining. To me the S&D have more to offer. We spend more time at Epcot than we do at DTD and it was great being able to walk back to our room rather than wait in a long line for a bus.

luvkatiebug
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
okay, we stayed at the Swan on our last trip, and here is the deal: It is a beautiful place with amazing beds and location is the best....but... it just wasn't the same as staying at an official disney resort. I didn't see in your post if you had kids, but my kids would pick an All Star over the swan any time. We stayed there b/c of the teacher discount and the location. Having the boat to Epcot (or walking) and MGM was a real time saver, but the one think I did miss was a cheaper food option, aka a food court. My kids were 3 and 7 at the time and not great eaters - lots of chicken fingers and fries, and we had a hard time finding something affordable to eat there. We are going back next year and probably staying at PO French Quarter. It will probably cost about the same (b/c of the teacher discount) and I know we won't have the location benefit there, but mama needs a food court and more of that Mickey feel!

It is a great place, but just my humble opinion! :mickey:

Disney_Barbie
10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
but the one think I did miss was a cheaper food option, aka a food court. My kids were 3 and 7 at the time and not great eaters - lots of chicken fingers and fries, and we had a hard time finding something affordable to eat there.

Picabu is a foodcourt, well they call it a "buffeteria" but it's essentially a food court. Not to mention the assesabliity of BK, YC, BC food courts

Maxwell
10-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Swan and Dolphin are "hotels". You wil get a lot of the Disney theming, but they are much more like hotels than the traditional WDW resort. However...in comparison to other Orlando hotels...they are more like a Disney resort. They offer great proximity to the Boardwalk and the back door to Epcot. THey are really great and I think that you can be really happy with rooms there!

WVParkfan
10-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the GREAT advice. We've chosen the Swan, and I made reservations. I couldn't believe that the price dropped even more, and I was able to get 2 Queens for $161 per night (plus resort fee/ parking).

I'm sure we'll try POR someday, but this stay will be at the Swan. I can't wait!

To luvkatiebug: Our kids will be 10 and 16 next summer, and we spend very little time at the MK. This will be our 9th trip, so I'm hoping that they won't miss the "Disney" feel. But at their ages, I think we'll be OK. I do appreciate your advice.

luvkatiebug
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
The Swan was a very luxurious hotel, and the beds were amazing. You will have a wonderful time... I mean, you're at Disney, why wouldn't you! We're going to try POFQ this time, but I'm sure we'll be back to the Swan too!

Have a magical time! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-24-2009, 10:20 PM
The first time we stayed at an Official Disney Hotel (POR) for a night, my nephews asked why we couldn't stay at our regular hotel instead!! I guess they didn't need the Disney touch.