PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney World to bring new monorail train into service

GrumpyFan
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
The title was a bit mis-leading.

- Orlando Sentinel -
Walt Disney World has built a new monorail train using the undamaged remains of two trains that collided in a deadly accident over the summer.

The new train is expected to go into service later this fall.

It will be painted with a teal stripe to distinguish it from the resort's other trains, each of which have a unique color. Disney said the colors pink and purple -- the colors of the two trains involved in the collision -- will be retired out of respect for employees following the first fatal accident in the Disney World monorail's 38-year history.

That July 5th accident killed 21-year-old Austin Wuennenberg, a part-time monorail driver and college student from Kissimmee. It also sparked investigations by both the National Transportation Safety Board and the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which remain ongoing.

Disney declined to discuss details of procedural changes it has made since the accident. But it said the new train will undergo thorough mechanical and electrical testing before it begins carrying guests.

"The train will be subject to the same extensive testing as any new vehicle we add to our transportation fleet," Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said.

With the addition, Disney's monorail fleet will grow to 11 trains -- still one short of the 12 it had before the accident. The resort said it expects to add a 12th train next year.

Melanie
10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Isn't there already a teal color?

Strmchsr
10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Isn't there already a teal color?

Nope. The 10 currently operating colors (pink & purple having been retired) are: Red, Coral (looks pink to me), Orange, Gold, Yellow, Lime, Green, Blue, Silver and Black. So now we'll have teal and a new train next year to bring the fleet back to 12.

CaptainDisney
10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Melanie, you are probably thinking of Monorail Blue. It is a light, sky-blue color. Teal will most likely be a blue-green color and contain a delta. Have you ever noticed that Lime and Coral are missing chunks from their color stripes? These deltas were once painted blue, but they're now left white. These help(ed) to distinguish Lime and Coral from Green and Pink (because, yes, Coral is definitely a shade of "pink").

Rumor has it that the 12th train will be Monorail Maroon.

Melanie
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Melanie, you are probably thinking of Monorail Blue. It is a light, sky-blue color. Teal will most likely be a blue-green color and contain a delta. Have you ever noticed that Lime and Coral are missing chunks from their color stripes? These deltas were once painted blue, but they're now left white. These help(ed) to distinguish Lime and Coral from Green and Pink (because, yes, Coral is definitely a shade of "pink").

Awww, thank you for the explanation. I'm sure you are right.

Hey, Monorail Maroon - awesome! It will be the Gig 'Em Aggies monorail to us. :thumbsup:

Monorail_Red
10-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Coral is more of a peachy pink with the white deltas as said above to distinguish it from the former Monorail Pink. Lime has the delta to actually distinguish it from Yellow. The delta was blue until 2003 when they re-applied the stripes. Coral's delta was always white. It is assumed that Monorail Teal will get the white deltas to distinguish it from Blue, but no official word on that.

Mickey91
10-15-2009, 10:34 PM

That's kind of weird considering the trading pin for monorail pink was actually painted a maroon or burgandy. Kind of like forshadowing...

Aggie97
10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey, Monorail Maroon - awesome! It will be the Gig 'Em Aggies monorail to us. :thumbsup:

Teal will be a nice color. Maroon -- even better. :thumbsup:

seanyred
10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Just glad to hear they are getting the fleet back up to size again. I know it is probably a ways off but has anyone heard about resort guests be allowed up front again?

Ed
10-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Just glad to hear they are getting the fleet back up to size again. I know it is probably a ways off but has anyone heard about resort guests be allowed up front again?

I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon. :nono:

Maxwell
10-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I LOVE the monorail...and while I could never keep track of the color list, I love that there are people who pay attention to this! No matter where you are in WDW, there is someone who has in depth information on anything that you want to know about.

I wish that they would extend the monorail or put in another route to other areas...like DTD or AKL/AK park.

brad192
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm still lobbying for Monorail Plaid...:D

gueli
10-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Ahh, What a maroon...:D

seanyred
10-17-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm still lobbying for Monorail Plaid...:D

"They've Gone to Plaid!!!" :D

Courtesy of....

BrerGnat
10-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Sort of OT, but related:

Guests at Disneyland Resort are still allowed to ride in the front with the driver. I rode the Monorail last week, and there were people in both "nose cones".

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that, at DLR, the monorails only travel in ONE direction with passengers on them and there is only one loop. They close down the monorails completely when they have to take a train off the track, or add one on.

BrerGnat
10-18-2009, 11:49 AM
"They've Gone to Plaid!!!" :D

Courtesy of....

SPACEBALLS!!!

:D

seanyred
10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Sort of OT, but related:

Guests at Disneyland Resort are still allowed to ride in the front with the driver. I rode the Monorail last week, and there were people in both "nose cones".

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that, at DLR, the monorails only travel in ONE direction with passengers on them and there is only one loop. They close down the monorails completely when they have to take a train off the track, or add one on.

It is less complicated at DLR but you'd think they would find a way to make it work again so that guests can experience riding up front again. You would think they could just allow riders up front during the day but then restrict access during track switch times. I guessing they have to wait for the investigation to be over with first.

SPACEBALLS!!!

:D

You win the prize...which is an industrial strength hair dryer :D

I digress but I love that movie.