PDA

View Full Version : Payless Car Rental Be Warned

Hair_Razor
10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Just an FYI,....

We just got back from our trip and everything was great, but just wanted to warn you about Payless Car Rental.

We found a great deal on line with them, well looks can be deceiving. We usually stick with an in terminal car rental place and probably will again in the future. When we got to the rental office (dirty and unkempt) we were given the hard sell on their insurance which we didn't need because we had our insurance and card with us. Well turns out that they put a $350 hold on top of the $250 rental price on your credit card. We use a specific card for rentals knowing we won't use that card for vacation and has a low balance. Knowing it's cheaper to buy their insurance that's how they get you. We could just not afford to have that much of our money tied up while on vacation. It's a racket and it can cost you more in the long run than going with another rental office. Plus it's off airport and the time spent to get there and wait around also cost us time!! Beware of the REAL COST of PAYLESS!!:mad::thedolls:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Amen!!! :exactly:

We rented from them awhile ago before the days of ME because of a "great" deal. Well, an hour after arriving to MCO, we finally get a shuttle to who knows where to pick up the car. And then no one knew what they were doing, the person at the gate couldn't tell us the best way to get to DisneyWorld... I mean COME ON! Who in Orlando doesn't know how to get to DisneyWorld. :confused:

Hair_Razor
10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Seriously, no map? They are useless unless you're trying to get rid of money...

clou1028
10-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I will second this! So not worth it! I did not get the hard sell on the insurance, but I saw several other people getting that treatment. The place is dumpy and under staffed, and our car was dumpy, too!

I had never seen a rental car in such bad shape. It smelled like mildew. There was trash in it. It was dirty inside and out. We could smell oil burning. There were so many dings and scratches, we had an employee come out and document all the damage on it before we took it, so they didn't try to blame us later for it.

Only plus side, is that is was a convertible.

DVC2004
10-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I was in Phoenix for business recently, and my husband came to visit me for a long weekend. He used Payless to rent a car from the Phoenix airport and he had an equally terrible experience. They had a low rate online, but tried to slam him with fees at the counter. He had nothing but issues picking the car up and returning it, was sent to talk to several different people and took way more time than it needed to. Anyway- another bad experience with Payless!

Belster
10-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Yep we have had some majoy issues with this comapny as well.

I would never use them again.

TiggeRia
10-17-2009, 03:02 PM
That's a shame...we actually had a nice experience with Payless on our September trip. I had reserved a midsize car for a total (taxes and all) of $112 and we were able to upgrade there to a small SUV for only $20 more for the entire week. We weren't hassled any more than usual about purchasing the insurance and our car was very nice and clean. I had found it to be a quick process. Sorry you had such a bad experience!

jillluvsdisney
10-17-2009, 06:18 PM
It's not un-common for ALL rental car companies to place a hold of a few hundred bucks on your credit card. I've saw this happen to a friend at Thrify on Boston. It's not just a Payless practice.

SandmanGStefani24
10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
It's not un-common for ALL rental car companies to place a hold of a few hundred bucks on your credit card. I've saw this happen to a friend at Thrify on Boston. It's not just a Payless practice.

very true, but one way to get around this is to become a member of a repeat renter's club. i am with Avis Preferred, and I don't have to use my credit card to make reservations, nor do I have deposits charged or authorized to my card. The only thing that goes on my card is the charge for the actual rental after I return the car. I am not sure, but most other companies should have something similar. (hertz #1 club, national emerald, ect.) Check these out and you should have a better experience. Remember, cheaper almost always isn't better!

Hair_Razor
10-21-2009, 09:08 AM

True not uncommon to have a hold understood but $300 :eyes: I have never had anything that absurd, and again that's on top of the rental fee! My warning is for those people who think they are saving a buck on this place and then realize that they are tying up a ton of money that they could be using in while on their Disney vacation!!! So once again be warned.

Note to car issue, our car was as well on it's last leg and would shake over 60mph.

CanadianWDWFan
10-21-2009, 09:38 AM
very true, but one way to get around this is to become a member of a repeat renter's club. i am with Avis Preferred, and I don't have to use my credit card to make reservations, nor do I have deposits charged or authorized to my card. The only thing that goes on my card is the charge for the actual rental after I return the car. I am not sure, but most other companies should have something similar. (hertz #1 club, national emerald, ect.) Check these out and you should have a better experience. Remember, cheaper almost always isn't better!
I am also a member at various companies. I always check their rates against each other. Once I get the rental I want I book it and I don't have to worry about paying until I drop the car back off. Also try the express check out option. You print out the rental agreement at home and take it with you to the rental lot. This way you just go and pick your car from the lot then drive off without visiting the counter. Avis will have a car with your name on it and Alamo will allow you to pick your car and then all you have to do is show your paper work to the gate guard on your way out. Pretty painless and I don't get the hard sell at the counter, plus you avoid the counter line ups as well.