PDA

View Full Version : Dining Review--Flying Fish Cafe

awaggett
10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
I was intown for work this week and had dinner at the Flying Fish Cafe with some colleagues. Our reservation was at 7:45, we were about 10 minutes late, and seated about 10 minutes after that. Those 10 minutes were well spent at the bar--loved the Pineapple Upside-down Martini!

We ordered the calamari and buffalo/tomato salad for apps. The sauce with the calamari was great, I think it was spicy thai chili--very yummy; the tomato salad was good too--lots of yellow tomatoes.

For entrees: I had the scallops with butternut squash risotto--scallops were perfect, best I have had in a long while, the risotto was great too,--super creamy and not sweet, but there was too much to finish. Two of the folks had the tuna--both loved it, the final person had the mahi-mahi--I tried that one and it was excellent.

No dessert for us this time. Overall, great experience--food, atmosphere and service.

Mysttree
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Sounds yummy! I always forget about this restuarant on the Boardwalk!
Thanks for sharing.

SBETigg
10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
It all sounds really good. We had a great time there, too. My husband had scallops, but it was spring and I believe it was a pea risotto, also very good and too much to finish. I had the Captain's Thunder dish of the night, which is always special. We'll be going back to Flying Fish. Thanks for the review.

Sunshine1010
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I've been there once....and LOVED the food. Dinner was THREE hours long. Relaxing!!!

But --- our waiter told me I was 'back woods' since I wanted my pork chops cooked 'well done'. And that I must be from 'Hickville' since I put sugar in my tea.

Glad you had a pleasant experience!!!

DVC2004
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the review- everything sounded so good! I ate there for the first time last December with my sons and we all enjoyed it. I think it's a geat place and we will definitely be back.

EJS-Houston
10-14-2009, 11:00 PM
All these glowing reviews make me all the more excited. We just had to change our entire WDW vacation today just 3 weeks out...and I feared we'd miss our first experience with The Flying Fish Cafe. Although I had to cancel our initial reservation I was able to reschedule. Can't wait!

pdrlkr
10-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the Review! :eat:

prttynpnk
10-16-2009, 09:25 AM
great to see someone enjoy FF as much as we do!

Joannelet
10-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I love flying fish cafe! We always start off our trip there. Although the last time we were there I had booked a huge table because we were having a family reunion.
The waiter that we had was so obnoxious. At the time I really wasn't into fish so I had ordered something without fish and the waiter stood there and told me that I was NOT going to like it and that the meal is gross. He then came back at one point and said I am going to just order one of everything on the menu for you guys because you aren't going to want to miss anything. (meaning apps) (I thought my dad was going to have a heart attack) We nicely declined but still...the nerve. He wasn't asking us, he was TELLING us...there is a difference.
You can tell he actually wanted us to spend a lot of money. Not that we already weren't going to because there were about 10 of us but geez. I think there is a way to do everything.
I am going to have to give it another chance because I have always loved that place. My hubby and I have not been back since so I'm thankful that someone had a great time.
By the way my meal was NOT gross so he was soooo off :) It was a really good pasta dish that they had at the time and it was delicious!! :)

mrsgaribaldi
10-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the review. We're eating there for the first time in Nov. Can anyone comment on the non seafood items?:mickey:

PetefromRI
10-16-2009, 07:46 PM
We loved the red snapper signature dish and the ceasars salad was excellent.I have heard that they have a very good steak for non seafoodies.

Sunshine1010
10-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Joannelet --- I wonder if we had the same waiter. :-)

Joannelet
10-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Sunshine 1010: I know when I read your post it reminded me of him!

Joannelet
10-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I was a vegetarian at the time so I didn't eat meat or seafood. I know you wanted to know about non seafood items.
So there was one pasta dish or at least one veggie dish that I remember being delicious!!! Although I can't recall what it was......
My family has gotten meat there as well and it was great.

Sunshine1010
10-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Was it a man with blondish/balding hair (kind of styled) who'd been there forever? The guy told me he was from Ohio. He found out we were from TN and called us 'hicks'...he he.

Joannelet
10-17-2009, 09:57 PM
No shockingly its not him :) ours was younger with dark hair. I remember my brother saying this guy must be new because there is NO way he has been trained with Disney for long.
His behavior seriously was sooooooo unDisneylike that I was SHOCKED.
Like I said we haven't gone back to Flying Fish since even though it had nothing to do with the food. He just really turned us off....